Phillips / Philips Respironics recent recall notice discussion thread

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Dog Slobber

Re: Sticky: Phillips Respironics recent recall notice discussion thread

Post by Dog Slobber » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:31 am

Sea Papper wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:05 am
Philips obviously broke Federal Law.
What Federal Law did they break and how did they break it? Please be specific.

zonker

Post by zonker » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:45 am

Dog Slobber wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:31 am
Sea Papper wrote:
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

zonker

Post by zonker » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:59 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:59 am
Pugsy wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:41 am
If we were to go into panic mode about any foam in any machine....unwarranted panic for sure.
If I had a Philips machine, I would keep merrily using it until they decided to replace it. This panic is for chemophobes and lawyers.
i'll trade ya!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

supermikelala

Post by supermikelala » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:03 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Pugsy wrote:
If we were to go into panic mode about any foam in any machine....unwarranted panic for sure.
If I had a Philips machine, I would keep merrily using it until they decided to replace it. This panic is for chemophobes and lawyers.
ARE YOU OK? come on, this machine can cause cancer!

lvthunder

Post by lvthunder » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:45 pm

supermikelala wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:03 pm
ChicagoGranny wrote:
Pugsy wrote:
ARE YOU OK? come on, this machine can cause cancer!
So can the sun, yet I bet you still go outside.

My machines are only 3 months old so I think it'll be a while before the foam will degrade. So I'll keep using it.

jimbud

Post by jimbud » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:01 pm

I'm with CGranny.

I would put a filter on the outlet hose (to stop the particles) and keep on keeping on.
I am not stopping my therapy for a what if, when I know the consequences not treating Apnea.

JPB

Last edited by jimbud on Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

biztraveler

Post by biztraveler » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:01 pm

I spoke with my Dr's office today. They told me they advise stopping using the DreamStation. They are sending a prescription to the DME for a DreamStation 2.

Sea Papper

Post by Sea Papper » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:02 pm

Dog Slobber wrote:
Sea Papper wrote:
Technically speaking, any medical device recall is due to the manufacturer violating federal law. Be it whether the design was faulty, the testing was faulty, or the manufacturing was faulty.

For starters:
Title 21 of the Code of Federal Regulations
- Sec. 868.5273 Positive airway pressure delivery system.
- (1) The patient-contacting components of the device must be demonstrated to be biocompatible.
:roll:

Demonstrate means demonstrate using FDA acceptable test standards and methods. If you actually do that correctly the product won't end up recalled. Philips obviously broke Federal Law. 8)

I'll reserve judgement on the public statements they made to shareholders on April 26, 2021 concerning the possible 250M EUR expense. The class action attorneys will be all over that-en-nat. :D

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:21 pm

Sea Papper wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:02 pm
Dog Slobber wrote:
Sea Papper wrote:
Technically speaking, any medical device recall is due to the manufacturer violating federal law. Be it whether the design was faulty, the testing was faulty, or the manufacturing was faulty.

For starters:
- (1) The patient-contacting components of the device must be demonstrated to be biocompatible.

Demonstrate means demonstrate using FDA acceptable test standards and methods. If you actually do that correctly the product won't end up recalled. Philips obviously broke Federal Law. 8)

I'll reserve judgement on the public statements they made to shareholders on April 26, 2021 concerning the possible 250M EUR expense. The class action attorneys will be all over that-en-nat. :D
Technically speaking, you're full of shit.

Just because a device has been recalled, does not mean it didn't meet the required standards. Testing is not and cannot be exhaustive.
Last edited by Dog Slobber on Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimbud

Post by jimbud » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:29 pm

Dog Slobber wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:21 pm
Technically speaking, your full of shit.
www.quora.com
"Technically speaking" is a detailed explanation with the finest of detail. :D

JPB

Sea Papper

Post by Sea Papper » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:49 pm

Dog Slobber wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:21 pm
Sea Papper wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:02 pm
Dog Slobber wrote:
Sea Papper wrote:

For starters:

Technically speaking, you're full of shit.

Just because a device has been recalled, does not mean it didn't meet the required standards. Testing is not and cannot be exhaustive.
OK miss potty-mouth. Using a toxic material in the air pathway is not even a testing thing. Its just common sense and a kindergarten analysis would have flagged the problem. The devices ARE being recalled because they have FAILED to meet the required standards.

The patient-contacting components of the device must be demonstrated to be biocompatible. - is that really that difficult? Oh look a cheap toxic material...lets stick it in the air path. *golf clap* This is what happens when dumb a$$ project managers and boot licking middle managers are tasked with making technical decisions. Oh look that foam only cost $0.002, let's use that.

Go shill for some other company selling snake oil, and learn yourself some manners. Philips obviously broke Federal Law. 8) Hey not a big deal since the lapdog FDA is worthless.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:52 pm

Play nice boys....no more of the pissing contest infighting and derailing of this thread with the pissing contests.

Please...thank you in advance for not derailing the thread anymore with name calling and personal attacks.

Take it private if you wish to continue the personal attacks.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

10Gauge

Post by 10Gauge » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:56 pm

I don't think it was a problem between the 'boys', but between the boy and a man without cognitive dissonance, just trying to deflect the 4 letter attack and the lack of reasoning.
Not fair to call them BOTH out. IMHO.

I am still trying to figure out in what world "Just because a device has been recalled, does not mean it didn't meet the required standards." is a reasonable thing to say.

As much as I am concerned about the current Philips issue, I am MUCH more concerned that they would NOT have thoroughly tested their device and all its parts before foisting them on all of us.
If I can no longer trust someone who has failed at their primary task, I will certainly not buy from them again. They have revealed their true nature, and I would be a fool not to listen.

Ander35

Post by Ander35 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:07 pm

I have had an intermittent dry cough I attributed to Gerd and some shortness of breath I attributed to weight gain which caused me to get covid tested. I even went to an ent for having to clear my throat often.

I suspected it was the cpap machine because I wasnt cleaning it often.

The VA said keep using it unless you used ozone or other system to clean it.

I may just buy a ds2 out of pocket.

Additional Comments: ahi 21 in sleep lab ahi 7-10 now system indicates large leak

Dreaming1

Post by Dreaming1 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:15 pm

Pugsy - the issue is them coming to this thread and trolling their tired worn out mouths over a topic they obviously disagree with, but, rather than just leave it alone and just not visit the post, they jump on here flashing their junk like two-bit street walkers demanding that their 1-2% opinion matters more than the lot of us that are far more concerned, and most don't even have Philips CPAPs. You're just coming in here to stick your finger in the nest as opposed to going away. We've gotten plenty of your run of the mill BS where you want to set the bar so low for Philips it may as well be in hell (probably where they belong, when this all settles out). But you're not changing anybody's mind by coming on here. People just flat out disagree with your opinion. Go start another thread in OppositeVille and bitch among yourselves there. But, oh no, you'll be back...like antagonistic moths to a damn flame. Can't help yourselves. Only you'll spin the message and run your mouths about how your entitled and we're alarmist, and people need to hear your opinion and your thoughts matter, we are wrong and you are right, diatribe, diatribe...you can't have your pudding unless you eat your meat, and we're here with our 2% MEAT to jamb it down your throats because you need to have it and hear it. So here's a preemptive Don't CARE, Don't give Two-Fricking Red Cents what you think. You can pound sand in one ear and out the other til the cows come home, just go do it somewhere else.