HDM Z1 CPAP (just purchased)

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Dorian

HDM Z1 CPAP (just purchased)

Post by Dorian » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:16 pm

I don't see much about the Human Design Medical (HDM) CPAP travel machine in recent posts so I thought I'd mention that I purchased one last week and while I don't have a lot of hours on it yet, I like it! The machine itself is very quiet and small. However, like most people have mentioned in regards to the smaller machines like this there is a lot of noise heard when breathing in and out. I would prefer silence or quiet but the sound does not really bother me enough to keep me awake. The device has a quality feel to it, it is made in the USA. I have it set on an exhalation relief setting of 3 and a CPAP setting of 8. I can't use APAP due to central apneas. It seems to synchronize with my breathing as well as my ResMed S10. The only thing I'm having trouble with is the Nitelog app to track data. I can't get it to sync with my device and will call HDM for help. -anyway just thought I would post this in the event anyone else is considering this machine. I plan to use it for travel as I hate traveling with my larger CPAP machine. This little device fits in a small travel bag which will take up little room in my knapsack.

realshelby

Re: HDM Z1 CPAP (just purchased)

Post by realshelby » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:14 am

First I would tell you to try the #2 setting on exhalation relief. There is a significant difference in the sound the machine makes when you inhale between the two settings. At least on my Z1 Auto.

The noise you hear in the mask can be pretty much eliminated by the "travel cpap" hose available. I highly recommend this, the difference in noise from the machine with this hose is SIGNIFICANT. It is also more flexible and longer, both I find better in use of the machine.

The "Q Tube" muffler for cpap hoses/machines is worth having. Makes a noticeable difference in noise, especially for others that might be in the room with you when using the Z1.

With the changes I made to my Z1 I think I can use it with no noise problems. The size of the complete machine and accessories is so much less than packing the Resmed Autoset 10 that it is worth the compromise.

Here is my review of the Z1
Min 7 Max 20 (cmH2O)

Dorian

Post by Dorian » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:11 pm

That is a thoughtful and well written review, thanks for pointing me to it. I did try a setting of both 2 and 3 pressure relief but didn't notice a sound difference on the straight CPAP machine. I have some minor problems with tinnitus so that may actually help me with the breathing noise, I can ignore it. My wife dosen't think it will bother her so I think I'm good without any mods.

realshelby

Post by realshelby » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:11 am

There probably is a difference in noise between machines. The worst of the noise with mine is when you begin to inhale. If you do that sharply, not like you would when asleep, the difference in settings on mine is quite noticeable. It is the motor/impeller speeding up and it can be almost a squealing sound!

Bottom line is I bought this mainly due to price compared to the other travel cpap machines. Not surprised I had to make some changes to make it work for me. But it sounds like I would be making changes to the others too!
Min 7 Max 20 (cmH2O)

SLEEPMAN

Post by SLEEPMAN » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:44 pm

Hope you had a nice time with your Z1, soon it will not work due to a design problem. I have one and tried to contact HDM and they do not give service to my unit. :(

zonker

Post by zonker » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:55 pm

SLEEPMAN wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:44 pm
Hope you had a nice time with your Z1, soon it will not work due to a design problem. I have one and tried to contact HDM and they do not give service to my unit. :(
funny, haven't seen any other z1 owners in here complaining of this issue.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:10 pm

User error indicated.
--using travel machine full time. (Some do--but only for a while)
--checking, instead of carry-on. (disgruntled baggage handlers)
Expired warranty.
I'm not saying the 't' word, but I know you are thinking it . .

Last edited by chunkyfrog on Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

jsmit86

Post by jsmit86 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:50 pm

Dorian wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:16 pm
I don't see much about the Human Design Medical (HDM) CPAP travel machine in recent posts so I thought I'd mention that I purchased one last week and while I don't have a lot of hours on it yet, I like it! The machine itself is very quiet and small. However, like most people have mentioned in regards to the smaller machines like this there is a lot of noise heard when breathing in and out. I would prefer silence or quiet but the sound does not really bother me enough to keep me awake. The device has a quality feel to it, it is made in the USA. I have it set on an exhalation relief setting of 3 and a CPAP setting of 8. I can't use APAP due to central apneas. It seems to synchronize with my breathing as well as my ResMed S10. The only thing I'm having trouble with is the Nitelog app to track data. I can't get it to sync with my device and will call HDM for help. -anyway just thought I would post this in the event anyone else is considering this machine. I plan to use it for travel as I hate traveling with my larger CPAP machine. This little device fits in a small travel bag which will take up little room in my knapsack.
Nitelog is quite buggy, and has a major issue with iPhone 11 phones. There is a firmware upgrade available, but your unit needs to be sent to HDM to get the upgrade.
I have a Z2, and I found that I could use Nitelog on my iPad.

Resmed Airsense 11 Autoset - Former Airsense 10 Autoset
Resmed Airtouch F20 Foam Mask
Travel unit HDM Z2 Auto

adin67

Post by adin67 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:59 am

Dorian wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:16 pm
The device has a quality feel to it, it is made in the USA. I have it set on an exhalation relief setting of 3 and a CPAP setting of 8. I can't use APAP due to central apneas. It seems to synchronize with my breathing as well as my ResMed S10. The only thing I'm having trouble with is the Nitelog app to track data.
Hi, I bought a Z2 recently and it's ok for me. I found the setting of 3 is useful for me. Also, I use an updated vers. of Nitelog app (v.2...)which synchronizes with the device. The default version (v.1...)It didn't work for me.
You can search for android phone vers.2 (Nitelog_v2.0.12_apkpure.com).