Sleeping Inclined And AHI Numbers

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
MeToo

Re: Sleeping Inclined And AHI Numbers

Post by MeToo » Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:13 am

I use the full-length 7" mattress elevator shown here https://www.avanacomfort.com/mattress-elevator.html ...?

I initially put it on a cheap bed frame that has thin metal slats that were spaced six or so inches apart. The wedge is a fairly rigid foam and the foam was pushing through the space between the thin metal slats a slight amount. I got some leftover hard wood flooring and placed it between the wedge and bed frame. The wedge should work fine with most frames.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:12 pm

MeToo wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:13 am
I use the full-length 7" mattress elevator shown here
That's an excellent way to sleep. For back-sleepers also. Another option is to put the legs at the head of the bed on risers. Most of the commercially available risers are 3.5 inches. Building 7-inch ones might be better.

I always use a pillow between the knees when side-sleeping. This is recommended for good skeletal health.

WearyOne

Post by WearyOne » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:36 pm

I use a wedge under my pillow more for LPR (stomach issue) than for the OSA, but it does help with that as well. My son has another type of stomach problem, and he has put bed risers underneath the two legs at the head of his bed. Or if you have a headboard that won't work doing that, you can sleep with your head at the foot of the bed and put the risers there. The latter is what we have set up here for when he visits. And there are also foam mattress wedges where you can put the wedge the full width of your mattress under the the mattress instead of on top. The bed risers are probably the best choice if the bed partner doesn't have a problem with the incline. I use the wedge under my pillow because it doesn't affect my husband's sleep and it works fine for me. (I know someone who tried the bed risers and would slide down to the bottom of the bed in her sleep all the time! So there's that!)

MeToo

Post by MeToo » Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:03 pm

I worry that the legs being at uneven heights might destabilize the bed frame somewhat. Also, my bed has support legs in the middle of the bed frame and you would need risers at their height (2" and 1"?). I never figured out how to make this work.

The risers themselves work well -- I use 3" risers on each of the six legs on our son's bed (there are two in the middle of that frame, too) to raise it enough for underneath storage. Several years later, I'm afraid to look underneath that bed. :D

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:05 pm

MeToo wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:03 pm
Also, my bed has support legs in the middle of the bed frame and you would need risers at their height (2" and 1"?).
Most of them are adjustable. If they won't screw down far enough, a sufficient number of strong slats will make them unnecessary.
WearyOne wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:36 pm
(I know someone who tried the bed risers and would slide down to the bottom of the bed in her sleep all the time! So there's that!)
That might be my friend. To help prevent reflux, she uses some high blocks. She says when the grandson was little and visited, he liked to sleep in the bed with them. They would have to pull him up from the foot a few times per night. :lol:

clownbell

Post by clownbell » Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:17 pm

Of course YMMV. What works for MeToo doesn't necessarily work for anyone else, let alone all people. Just sayin".
ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset with built in humidifier
Resmed P10 pillow mask

Cecioboe

Post by Cecioboe » Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:32 pm

We put bricks under the head of the bed for my reflux. We only elevated 4" but it seems to have helped.
CPAP since May 25, 2021
Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset
N30 mask

PurrceyS

Post by PurrceyS » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:17 am

I do for my GERD. It got me off my proton pumps pills and did me for me than any medication I ever took. I use a Medslant wedge. It is long enough (to my hips) that it doesn't cause me to bend in the middle.

I tried blocks under my bed previously but they had a bad habit of shifting during the night when I moved.
CPAP user since 2008, Canadian
IntelliPAP AutoAdjust CPAP Machine with SmartFlex
FlexiFit HC432 Full Face CPAP Mask (small)

EJW372

Post by EJW372 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:31 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:41 am
arteach wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:23 am
So which wedge are you using. I'm looking at the link and there are a number of them. What are you finding works for you?
I'm also curious about which he is using.

Don't forget he is a side sleeper.
I just got it yesterday from Amazon and will be using it starting tonight. I am a 50/50 back and side sleeper. It's 12 inches high by 31 inches wide by 33 inches long.

https://www.amazon.com/Stylish-Jacquard ... B08FCQX8ZW

Stock photo from Amazon: