Water in the tube

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Tokyoite

Water in the tube

Post by Tokyoite » Sun May 23, 2021 1:20 am

I live in Japan. Here people can only rent CPAP machines, but I used to work at a US base and I own one ordered from the US. Now that I don't work there anymore, it's a pain to get replacement parts.

Here in Tokyo, insulation and central heating are unheard of in homes, certainly in rented apartments. So especially in the winter, I have a problem with water condensing in the mask and tube. If I can keep the blanket over my head all night, that generally solves the problem.

I've been here for many years, but this past winter I had a new problem, where the the tube gets water in it and makes popping sounds when I breathe. I thought the problem would go away as the weather got warmer, but I'm still getting it on some nights.

Is this an indicator that I need a new tube? Or is something else wrong? Or is it just odd that I hadn't had this problem before?

Pugsy

Re: Water in the tube

Post by Pugsy » Sun May 23, 2021 6:26 am

viewtopic/t94035/Pugsys-Pointers-3Deali ... -road.html

Condensation in the mask or hose....we call it "rainout".
Read posts number 2 and 3 at above link for various options on dealing with it.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Sun May 23, 2021 6:40 am

No, you don't need to get new tubing/hose. The condition you have is called rainout and it's common amongst cpap users. The vaporized water is condensing inside your hose/mask. You stated that getting cpap supplies is difficult, but a heated hose can help. Try placing your machine LOWER than your bed. You can place it on the floor, a milkcrate, a chair - that's lower than your bed or use a stack of books. When you do this, the condensed water will flow downward into the machine (water can't flow upward). If you can't get your hands on a heated hose, you may try wrapping your hose with an old sheet, t shirts, etc. This will keep the hose "warmer" and may prevent the water from condensing.

I must ask this: do you need the humidifier? This will cause and outburst on this forum and some may want to take me outside and flog me. Years ago, I asked myself the same question. I ditched the humidifier and it made my cpap life easier. I do use my humidifier when my sinuses act up.... But the rest of the year I don't use the humidifier and all the pain in the butt of cleaning, getting distilled water, etc... For some people answer is a definite YES. What say you?

Sheriff

zonker

Post by zonker » Sun May 23, 2021 10:57 am

Sheriff Buford wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 6:40 am

I must ask this: do you need the humidifier? This will cause and outburst on this forum and some may want to take me outside and flog me.
sheriff, i stand by your side if'n anyone wants to flog you.

if i have learned nothing else here on this forum i've learned this-

we are unique individuals and our approach to therapy can be different. i've always said what works for me might not necessarily work for thee.

now, where's them folks that want to flog my friend sheriff?
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun May 23, 2021 11:04 am

zonker wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 10:57 am
:lol: :lol:

I would do without the cpap machine before I would do without added moisture. Just saying....for some of us dealing with the rhinitis is more of a problem than dealing with the apneas in terms of how long we feel like crap.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sun May 23, 2021 1:41 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 11:04 am
zonker wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 10:57 am
:lol: :lol:

I would do without the cpap machine before I would do without added moisture. Just saying....for some of us dealing with the rhinitis is more of a problem than dealing with the apneas in terms of how long we feel like crap.
yup, me too. plus i like the heated hose and use that year round.

not everyone does and that's fine.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Tokyoite

Post by Tokyoite » Sun May 23, 2021 11:13 pm

Thanks for everyone's comments!

Putting the CPAP lower than the bed isn't really a solution for me, since I sleep, Japan style, on the floor!

But Tokyo is pretty humid in the spring and summer, so I'm going to try doing without the humidifier for now. In the winter, though, I'm going to need it - before I had a humidifier, I found that unpleasant things happened in my nose when I used CPAP without a humidifier in winter. So I'll have to have my brother in the US pass a long a heated hose before then.

Thanks

RNeil

Post by RNeil » Mon May 24, 2021 8:33 am

If you can't get a heated hose, you could try a hose cover. This will insulate the hose and make condensation less likely. If you can't buy one, you could make it yourself.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon May 24, 2021 10:47 am

I think that with the cpap level with your head,
a hose cozy with apparatus to raise the middle of the hose works for me,
and might work for you.

Tokyoite

Post by Tokyoite » Wed May 26, 2021 10:33 pm

Thanks.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Thu May 27, 2021 6:14 am

Tokyoite wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 11:13 pm
Thanks for everyone's comments!

Putting the CPAP lower than the bed isn't really a solution for me, since I sleep, Japan style, on the floor!

But Tokyo is pretty humid in the spring and summer, so I'm going to try doing without the humidifier for now. In the winter, though, I'm going to need it - before I had a humidifier, I found that unpleasant things happened in my nose when I used CPAP without a humidifier in winter. So I'll have to have my brother in the US pass a long a heated hose before then.

Thanks
Ok... but can you prop the hose above your head? as the hose exits the machine, tie it to something. This will still allow the water to drain back into the machine before it condenses. A hose hanger does this for you. But since access to cpap equipment may be an issue, most of folks have their own hose management system. Do a search here. A few years back, folks here were posting pictures of their homemade hangers. There are some bright people here.

Sheriff

Leaphorn

Post by Leaphorn » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:18 pm

Sheriff Buford wrote:
...Try placing your machine LOWER than your bed. You can place it on the floor
I started getting moisture that I noticed when breathing through the nose pillow. Called (Resmed iirc) and they recommended lowering the unit, which solved the problem.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:27 am

Leaphorn wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:18 pm
Sheriff Buford wrote:
...Try placing your machine LOWER than your bed. You can place it on the floor
I started getting moisture that I noticed when breathing through the nose pillow. Called (Resmed iirc) and they recommended lowering the unit, which solved the problem.
This might work if the OP did not sleep JAPANESE style,
--on a mat or futon on the FLOOR.
Lowering the machine might be possible if there was a step nearby;
or he had permission to CUT A HOLE IN THE FLOOR.