Luggage for 3 CPAPs

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jibbery

Luggage for 3 CPAPs

Post by jibbery » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:10 pm

We currently have 3 Phillips Dreamstations with humidifier in our household. Traveling with them is a pain. Has anyone found a case that might safely hold 3 of them with the related kit (power adapter, masks, hoses, etc...)?

I look forward to learning from you all!

GrumpyHere

Re: Luggage for 3 CPAPs

Post by GrumpyHere » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:28 am

Long ago I worked for a MS Cert training company.
I had to setup computer labs weekly in hotels.

We used travel cases with custom foam inserts.
Never had a computer damaged due to shipping.

Consider getting a hard sided suitcase and design your own custom foam inserts.

https://www.google.com/search?q=custom+ ... ravel+case

Something like:
https://mycasebuilder.com/create-your-own-custom-foam/
ResMed Lumis Tx - VAuto mode

GrumpyHere

Post by GrumpyHere » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:20 am

Another possible solution:

Hard sided suitcase plus Sealed Air Instapak Quick RT

https://youtu.be/eRaaTKEpz7w

Amazon sells them.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Instapak+rt
ResMed Lumis Tx - VAuto mode

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:49 am

You didn't specify how you will be travelling.

Assuming air travel, a single case holding three different devices isn't a good idea. This would (likely) prevent you from carry-on, and leave you with checking it. Checking CPAP devices is always a risk.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:05 am

Google "United Breaks Guitars".
Nuff said.

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:15 am

Dog Slobber wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:49 am

Assuming air travel, a single case holding three different devices isn't a good idea. This would (likely) prevent you from carry-on, and leave you with checking it. Checking CPAP devices is always a risk.
Agree. Checking a cpap is never a good idea even IF they are packed in foam inside a hard case. What happens IF they never make it to your destination OR you get delayed somewhere and want to use them but the airline isn't ready to offload your luggage?

Certainly you can check some distilled water but I would carry some on board along with each cpap. But hey, that's me. You haven't lived until you get somewhere and your luggage is no where to be found.

Been there and it wasn't my cpap but a uniform I needed for the next day.
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:24 pm

SleepGeek wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:15 am
Certainly you can check some distilled water but I would carry some on board along with each cpap. But hey, that's me. You haven't lived until you get somewhere and your luggage is no where to be found.
The idea of packing *water* when traveling is a result of the pernicious lie that distilled water is somehow required for cpap.

Distilled water is not required.

Any water that you can *drink*, you can use in your cpap.

Just get water (yes, even TAP WATER (GASP) is perfectly safe to use in the cpap.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

jibbery

Post by jibbery » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:29 pm

Dog Slobber wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:49 am

This was the heart of my question. Has anyone done it with a carry-on. The measurements *barely* work for a max size carry on.

Was looking at this model: https://www.pelican.com/us/en/product/c ... ector/1510

The internal height is 7.6" and the published width of the dream station is 7.6". Does anyone have this case and does it appear that three of them could fit?

I'll try to reply to everyone as I can post more. What a really cool community!

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:44 pm

jibbery wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:29 pm
This was the heart of my question. Has anyone done it with a carry-on. The measurements *barely* work for a max size carry on.
Medical Device carry-on is for one's personal medical devices.

While one might argue, a single carry-on for three people with two other people present is basically the same as three people each carry-on there own, it is different, and you're not carrying your own medical devices. Doing so, would leave it up to the interpretation of the TSA agent, and if he doesn't interpret it correct, where will you and the two other be?

jibbery

Post by jibbery » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:51 pm

Dog Slobber wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:44 pm
jibbery wrote:

While one might argue, a single carry-on for three people with two other people present is basically the same as three people each carry-on there own, it is different, and you're not carrying your own medical devices. Doing so, would leave it up to the interpretation of the TSA agent, and if he doesn't interpret it correct, where will you and the two other be?
Oh man. That is a really good point but isn't up to the airline and not the TSA agent?

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:02 pm

jibbery wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:51 pm
Dog Slobber wrote:
jibbery wrote:

Oh man. That is a really good point but isn't up to the airline and not the TSA agent?
Does it matter?

Had I said, "Doing so, would leave it up to the interpretation of some airline clerk, and if he doesn't interpret it correct, where will you and the two other be?", the point is exactly the same.

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:10 pm

jibbery wrote:
I haven't and don't know anyone who has. But looking at that case I doubt that you will fit everything you need for 3 cpaps in that one case. I wouldn't want to split things up but thats me. But do give it a go and let us know.
Dog Slobber wrote:

Couldn't agree more. And it is the TSA who screens for the airline - so we are all safe. But I doubt they have seen anyone try this move either.
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

booksfan

Post by booksfan » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:54 am

Dog Slobber wrote:
jibbery wrote:

One thing to be aware of is that Medical Device carry-on is for US domestic travel. It does not always apply at international airports. I ran into a problem in Copenhagen. They said said I could carry on my CPAP, but that it counted as one of my TWO carry-ons...personal item and underseat, no Medical Device as a third item! I had to combine it into my other items! After that trip, I bought my AirMini after getting home. It is small enough to fit in my personal item/purse.

Mask: Bleep Eclipse/Halos
Machine: ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet

SAG

Post by SAG » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:25 am

booksfan wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:54 am
One thing to be aware of is that Medical Device carry-on is for US domestic travel. It does not always apply at international airports.
That certainly applies to any flights that originate or have a US destination.
Paraphrasing Ghandi - be the change you wish to see in the world.
Paraphrasing JohnnyGoodman - Beware the person who wishes to legislate the morality and the behavior of his neighbor.
https://cutt.ly/GbE7ltf

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:02 pm

palerider wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:24 pm
SleepGeek wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:15 am
The idea of packing *water* when traveling is a result of the pernicious lie that distilled water is somehow required for cpap.

Distilled water is not required.

Any water that you can *drink*, you can use in your cpap.

Just get water (yes, even TAP WATER (GASP) is perfectly safe to use in the cpap.
Reply to the OP not to me.

Stop derailing all the threads you post in.

Who said distilled was *required*.
Fact is *normal* people do use distilled water even when travelling but you don't travel so how would you know?

Fact is distilled is allowed by TSA and travelers don't need your permission.

Fact is you can drink distilled water so you don't have to pay $4 for a bottle of water to drink at the airport.

For your reading pleasure - https://www.cpap.com/blog/cpap-water/
When your done tell them how wrong they are too. Correct the internet while you can.

Get well Soon.
They are here to help.