Newbie trying to figure this all out. Any help would be appreciated

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Miss Emerita

Re: Newbie trying to figure this all out. Any help would be appreciated

Post by Miss Emerita » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:28 pm

The flow limitations look better with the EPR of 2. I'd say go ahead and raise EPR to 3.

You do need a higher minimum, I think, especially because you're introducing EPR. The question is how much change to try at one time. I think you'd probably be pretty comfortable moving your minimum to 10, especially with your EPR at 3. I'd also suggest that you raise your ramp pressure to 10, or even turn the ramp off. After some time with those revised settings, we can see what the trends look like and consider additional changes.

Is it mask discomfort that prevents you from using the machine for longer periods of time?
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

Mk1West

Post by Mk1West » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:30 pm

Thanks zonker.

I agree on the higher minimum I'll try that out tonight.
I think I've been ripping it off because I'm not used to waking up in the middle of the night so I'm getting frustrated. I used to never cognitively wake up at all, so I'm blaming the waking up right now on the mask and I don't want to wake myself up enough to fix whatever is going on. I'll have to work on better habits, but I'm really hoping I can get to a point where I just don't wake up again. Last night as you can see I did wake up and restart it, but must have woke up again shortly after and ripped it off.

Albacore

Post by Albacore » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:24 am

Mk1West wrote: I think I've been ripping it off because I'm not used to waking up in the middle of the night so I'm getting frustrated. I used to never cognitively wake up at all, so I'm blaming the waking up right now on the mask and I don't want to wake myself up enough to fix whatever is going on. I'll have to work on better habits, but I'm really hoping I can get to a point where I just don't wake up again. Last night as you can see I did wake up and restart it, but must have woke up again shortly after and ripped it off.
Lots of us did that when we first started Pap therapy. I know I did. I would put it on at night, and wake up in the morning and it would magically be off. Just keep putting it on every night and wearing it. Eventually most of us just stop taking it off at some point because we got more comfortable with it. It takes time to get used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Machine: Aircurve 10 VAuto with heated tubing
Mask: Mirage Quattro FF
Setting: Bilevel Auto

It was either get a therapist or get a Harley.....the Harley sounded more fun.

zonker

Post by zonker » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:32 pm

Mk1West wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:30 pm
Thanks zonker.

I agree on the higher minimum I'll try that out tonight.
I think I've been ripping it off because I'm not used to waking up in the middle of the night so I'm getting frustrated. I used to never cognitively wake up at all, so I'm blaming the waking up right now on the mask and I don't want to wake myself up enough to fix whatever is going on. I'll have to work on better habits, but I'm really hoping I can get to a point where I just don't wake up again. Last night as you can see I did wake up and restart it, but must have woke up again shortly after and ripped it off.
so, how's it going with the higher minimum?
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Mk1West

Post by Mk1West » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:57 pm

I got my new mask (F20) yesterday and I definitely like the fit and consistency of it not moving around as much at night. I still feel I have to put it pretty tight for it to not fart/leak by my cheeks when it's at 20 cm. I watched the mask fit videos as you recommended but no one is putting it nearly as tight as me, but it would leak a ton if I didn't put it that tight. It was still comfortable even though I had it pretty tight.
I woke up once in the middle and had to stop/start the machine, but last night felt like a decent night. It's crazy to me that I keep needing a 20 cm pressure setting though.
My wife did say I was tucking my chin pretty good before, but I've been really focusing on sleeping on my side the past couple of nights and I think it's helping.
Attachments
2-24-21.png
2-24-21.png (110.92 KiB) Viewed 433 times

Mk1West

Post by Mk1West » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:01 pm

Another thing is I've been having these weird moments while I'm drifting off asleep. Right as I'm about to go out I wake myself up just enough to notice I'm not breathing. It happened 3 times in a row, in a short period of time, and I made note of it and let myself doze off to look at it later. Are these central apneas? Or am I broken? Lol.
Attachments
Wierd events.png
Wierd events.png (88.48 KiB) Viewed 433 times

NewToSleepApnea

Post by NewToSleepApnea » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:40 am

What you just described as you are drifting off to sleep - that’s my whole problem. Coming up on a year now.

Comes and goes. No idea why. Comes with chest discomfort as well.

Interested if you find anything out about this.

Mk1West

Post by Mk1West » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:48 pm

Mk1West wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:01 pm
Another thing is I've been having these weird moments while I'm drifting off asleep. Right as I'm about to go out I wake myself up just enough to notice I'm not breathing. It happened 3 times in a row, in a short period of time, and I made note of it and let myself doze off to look at it later. Are these central apneas? Or am I broken? Lol.
Still trying to figure this part out...

Posting an update in a second

Mk1West

Post by Mk1West » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:55 pm

I hadn't posted in a while because I was struggling and not having very successful CPAP nights. I kept waking up and ripping the mask off out of annoyance. I used to never wake up in the middle of the night so now I just want a good night's sleep.
I finally got in a rhythm and had 3 good nights in a row. 2 of those posted below. I've been really focusing on sleeping on my side and I think it's done more for my apneas than the CPAP. And that's kind of where I'm stuck right now. If I'm still having apnea's at 15+ CFM what's the point in the CPAP? Will I ever get to a point of no events at night? Do I really need to set my minimum that high, because I"m not sure I'll be able to handle that...maybe you get used to it being that high?
Attachments
3-18-21.png
3-18-21.png (94.69 KiB) Viewed 337 times
3-19-21.png
3-19-21.png (96.17 KiB) Viewed 337 times

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:12 pm

And consider using Padacheek.com 'liners' which can help with small leaks.