Cannot exhale on ASV, did I mess up a setting?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
19MaleMabyeUARS?

Cannot exhale on ASV, did I mess up a setting?

Post by 19MaleMabyeUARS? » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:45 pm

Its like breathing into a straw on exhale, and my Bleep Dreamports tear off on the adhesive from the pressure.
My settings are as follows;
Max pressure: 9 H20
EPAP Min: 6
EPAP Max: 6
PS MIN: 2
PS Max: 2.5
BPM: Auto
Bi-Flex: 2 (out of a 1-3 scale)

Perhaps this is a mask issue? When I hold the dreamports down to get rid of leaks, the exhaling becomes 50% more tolerable.

Thank you all

19 years old, male. Atlanta, GA. 2.5 AHI, 11.6 RDI via watchpat test. No diagnosis.

palerider

Re: Cannot exhale on ASV, did I mess up a setting?

Post by palerider » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:47 pm

19MaleMabyeUARS? wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:45 pm
Its like breathing into a straw on exhale, and my Bleep Dreamports tear off on the adhesive from the pressure.
at 25cm pressure, a cpap can't even blow up a balloon. 9 is virtually nothing, stick a straw 4 inches into a glass of water, and exhale, that's 10cm pressure you're exhaling against.
19MaleMabyeUARS? wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:45 pm
When I hold the dreamports down to get rid of leaks, the exhaling becomes 50% more tolerable.
What does that mean?

If the adhesive is coming off, your nose isn't clean.

Make sure your nose is clean, and you're getting the dreamport openings centered on your nostrils.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

19MaleMabyeUARS?

Post by 19MaleMabyeUARS? » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:16 am

OK, should I start at a low max pressure (like 9?) this is my first time doing PAP therapy.

19 years old, male. Atlanta, GA. 2.5 AHI, 11.6 RDI via watchpat test. No diagnosis.

slowriter

Post by slowriter » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:32 am

You have it configured so it gives you none of the the benefit of ASV. Why?

I'd say you want a max PS of at least 10, and of pressure at least 15, if not more.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:18 am

About cleaning your nose: try using alcohol wipes. You'll often find them in the pharmacy with diabetes supplies.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

19MaleMabyeUARS?

Post by 19MaleMabyeUARS? » Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:22 pm

slowriter wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:32 am
You have it configured so it gives you none of the the benefit of ASV. Why?

I'd say you want a max PS of at least 10, and of pressure at least 15, if not more.
slowriter, can you help me understand why my configuration has decreased the benefits of an ASV (i Imagine I have somehow decreased the difference between IPAP and EPAP.) I am a total newb to all things PAP, thanks. :)

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:47 pm

19MaleMabyeUARS? wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:22 pm
I am a total newb to all things PAP
Why are you using an ASV? What was your diagnosis?

19MaleMabyeUARS?

Post by 19MaleMabyeUARS? » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:42 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:47 pm
19MaleMabyeUARS? wrote:
I am a total newb to all things PAP
Why are you using an ASV? What was your diagnosis?
Hi, I have no diagnosis except for bad sleep, and the sleep study test results below.
The resulting cognitive issues prompted me to seek treatment. I thought a BIPAP would be better than a CPAP, and I found one for sale.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:34 am

19MaleMabyeUARS? wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:16 am
OK, should I start at a low max pressure (like 9?) this is my first time doing PAP therapy.
The *ENTIRE* purpose of an ASV is to be able to deliver up to 25cm pressure *in a single breath* time period to *force* air into your lungs when you don't try to breathe on your own.

So, what you propose would make it pretty much useless.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:38 am

19MaleMabyeUARS? wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:42 pm
I thought a BIPAP would be better than a CPAP, and I found one for sale.
You don't have a "BiPAP", for one thing, those are only made by a different manufacturer. You have what is generically called a "bilevel" machine.

There are many kinds of bilevel machine. Think of it as a truck. You have many different kinds of trucks, some are little pickups, some are 18 wheelers, many are in between.

You ended up with a specialized type of bilevel machine that's designed to treat people who don't even TRY to breathe for themselves, ie, people with central sleep apnea.

Someone with regular apnea can use an ASV, but you need to fix your issues with the mask first.

Your initial comments sound like you're not getting the bleep mask attached to your nose properly. Deal with that issue before changing pressures.

slowriter

Post by slowriter » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:11 am

19MaleMabyeUARS? wrote:
slowriter, can you help me understand why my configuration has decreased the benefits of an ASV (i Imagine I have somehow decreased the difference between IPAP and EPAP.) I am a total newb to all things PAP, thanks. :)
palerider explained it, but to say it a little differently, ASV is a bilevel that adjusts pressures on a breath-by-breath basis so as to normalize your breathing. If you have a breath or two that is restricted, for example, it will briefly raise PS to help you.

If you don't allow the machine room to range those pressures, then you aren't allowing it to do what it's designed to do.

The only reason NOT to use default wide-open settings is if you find they are too aggressive, and bother you.

This is a good video that explains it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmCJjDOjYQQ

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:08 pm

slowriter wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:11 am

The only reason NOT to use default wide-open settings is if you find they are too aggressive, and bother you.
The only reason NOT to use the high pressure MaxIPAP is if you get aerophagia.

The wild pressure swings of an ASV will bother most people until they get used to them, but if you limit them, then you prevent the machine from doing what it was designed to do.

Since we have no data from the OP, we can't do anything other than guess, which is bad to do.