Cleaning

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Deborah K.

Re: Cleaning

Post by Deborah K. » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:06 pm

I don't clean the hose as it just pushes filtered air up my nose. The nasal pillows masks I used to use I washed in the sink in hot water and dish soap every day. The straps I washed with the mask about once a month. I use plain tap water in my humidifier tank in spite of our very hard water. When the white crust starts to build up too much I put a teaspoon or so of citric acid powder in the tank, then fill it with hot water. I leave it to soak for about half an hour, and all the crustiness is gone. Rinse and done. It's all quite easy once you get in your routine.
Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset For Her
Mask: Bleep Dreamport mask system

loggerhead12

Post by loggerhead12 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:29 pm

I don't clean any part of it, ever. When I was using the Dreamwear stuff I would swap out the pillows when they started to leak excessively. Now that I'm Bleeping the ports just get pitched every morning. I change the filter periodically. Nothing else sees any kind of cleaning at all.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:48 pm

Driver1814 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:01 pm
I get it! Buuuut even if the question has been asked 1000 times what's wrong with a new user to ask questions he or she may want a fresh take on?? Or even just to strike up some dialogue with some members. These forums wouldn't exist if it weren't for dumb, stupid, annoying questions.
Sigh...I don't know the answer except some people just want to tell people "use the search button" instead of taking the time to answer the question.
Maybe they are just grouchy or short on time or whatever.

My granny use to say "if you can't say something nice then don't say anything at all" and that's what I try to do.

BUT....it would also be nice if newbies would take the time to read some old stuff that has been posted and actually use the search function. When I first came here I spent hours and hours reading old discussions. I found that 99% of the time the answers didn't vary with time. The same cleaning questions I read back in 2009 got the same replies as you see here now. I haven't seen a really truly "new" question in a very long time.
Example...some old stuff
viewtopic.php?p=567264#p567264

People need to learn how to use the search function because maybe sometimes no one will be here to answer a question in a timely manner and just maybe someone might be in a situation where they really need a timely answer.

Now I know people like immediate fixes...they don't want to take the time to do the work or reading of a bunch of old stuff but it really would be a good thing if people learned to feed themselves as well. Sometimes I have the time and I am in the mood to feed someone but sometimes I simply don't have the time nor energy. We are all volunteers here and have lives outside this forum. Sometimes all I do is give someone the above link I just gave you because that's the best I can do at the moment and I know the answers are in there.

What I don't understand is why people have to get ugly about it or snarky or sarcastic and hateful.....and that is both sides.
There's nothing wrong with someone just saying "did you read the manual" or "use the search function"....because it is the truth.
The truth is always correct...now how we respond to the truth is what sometimes gets us in trouble and starts a big pissing contest which does absolutely nothing to help anyone and leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth. That's what happened here. Pissing contest and name calling on both sides.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

loggerhead12

Post by loggerhead12 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:57 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:48 pm
Pissing contest and name calling on both sides.
I just figured it's cause everyone is so tired. At least the folks on this forum have an excuse. No idea why the motorcycle, SCUBA, and aviation forums I frequent are so filled with pissy posters . . .

zonker

Post by zonker » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:48 pm

ImRealPleezApproveMe wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:57 pm
Pugsy wrote:
I just figured it's cause everyone is so tired. At least the folks on this forum have an excuse. No idea why the motorcycle, SCUBA, and aviation forums I frequent are so filled with pissy posters . . .
maybe they have untreated sleep apnea?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

khauser

Post by khauser » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:14 pm

zonker wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:48 pm
ImRealPleezApproveMe wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:57 pm
Pugsy wrote:
maybe they have untreated sleep apnea?
Ha! I bet you're right!

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:35 am

bierhere wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:24 pm
I never clean my hose, replace it every 6-9 months
I never clean my hose, I do replace it if it leaks, or the ends become soft and won't stay on the mask.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

jimbud

Post by jimbud » Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:07 am

Goofproof wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:34 pm
I wish I had a little OCD in me, I really want a Ultrasonic Cleaner 6L, but one, I don't have space for it, too much other stuff, and I know I'd use it a few times then it would sit in the way. I find cleaning cpap unnecessary for the most part, but would like it to clean the mask and headgear, I no longer use a HH, I don't need it. I doubt Santa will bring one as I didn't write a letter to NewEgg!

If I did get it, this is the one I would get, https://www.newegg.com/p/334-00HH-00003 ... -_-Product . Cheaper than Ozone and it cleans what you put in it. (Dawn and H2O)... Jim
I read one of your older posts about this and bought one (smaller). I use it to clean the P10 pillows with heated water and Dawn.
The pillows come out like brand new. It gets out all the oils that cause the pillows to slide around and leak. Right back to nice and tacky.
Sometimes I throw in a little denture cleaner just for fun. :D

Thanks for the tip.

JPB

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:45 am

Pugsy wrote:
Driver1814 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:01 pm
I get it! Buuuut even if the question has been asked 1000 times what's wrong with a new user to ask questions he or she may want a fresh take on?? Or even just to strike up some dialogue with some members. These forums wouldn't exist if it weren't for dumb, stupid, annoying questions.
Sigh...I don't know the answer except some people just want to tell people "use the search button" instead of taking the time to answer the question.
Maybe they are just grouchy or short on time or whatever.

My granny use to say "if you can't say something nice then don't say anything at all" and that's what I try to do.

BUT....it would also be nice if newbies would take the time to read some old stuff that has been posted and actually use the search function. When I first came here I spent hours and hours reading old discussions. I found that 99% of the time the answers didn't vary with time. The same cleaning questions I read back in 2009 got the same replies as you see here now. I haven't seen a really truly "new" question in a very long time.
Example...some old stuff

People need to learn how to use the search function because maybe sometimes no one will be here to answer a question in a timely manner and just maybe someone might be in a situation where they really need a timely answer.

Now I know people like immediate fixes...they don't want to take the time to do the work or reading of a bunch of old stuff but it really would be a good thing if people learned to feed themselves as well. Sometimes I have the time and I am in the mood to feed someone but sometimes I simply don't have the time nor energy. We are all volunteers here and have lives outside this forum. Sometimes all I do is give someone the above link I just gave you because that's the best I can do at the moment and I know the answers are in there.

What I don't understand is why people have to get ugly about it or snarky or sarcastic and hateful.....and that is both sides.
There's nothing wrong with someone just saying "did you read the manual" or "use the search function"....because it is the truth.
The truth is always correct...now how we respond to the truth is what sometimes gets us in trouble and starts a big pissing contest which does absolutely nothing to help anyone and leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouth. That's what happened here. Pissing contest and name calling on both sides.
Pugsy's answer +1

After you've been around here for any reasonable amount of time, you'll see the exact same questions an almost uncountable number of times. And, learning to use a forum search function will save users lots of time and save them from hurt feelings.

I've tried to be as helpful as possible in the past. Even suggesting people use the search function can get old after awhile.

search.php?keywords=search&terms=all&au ... mit=Search

search.php?keywords=search&terms=all&au ... mit=Search

And, I have also provided the link Pugsy listed.........MANY TIMES!

THIS one is even better:

viewtopic.php?t=17435

Have a nice day and Happy New Year!

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Jasperrr

Post by Jasperrr » Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:09 pm

Distilled water...is just recommended because of the mineral build up potential and cleaning thing. You don't have to use distilled water. It won't hurt the machine to use tap water or bottled water. Distilled water isn't easily available sometimes or in some parts of the world. It's not a critical issue.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:54 pm

Jasperrr wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:09 pm
Distilled water...is just recommended because of the mineral build up potential and cleaning thing. You don't have to use distilled water. It won't hurt the machine to use tap water or bottled water. Distilled water isn't easily available sometimes or in some parts of the world. It's not a critical issue.
it is known.

i use distilled due to a struggle between two of my tendencies-cheap vs lazy.

in this case, lazy wins out.
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:37 pm

zonker wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:54 pm
Jasperrr wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:09 pm
it is known.

i use distilled due to a struggle between two of my tendencies-cheap vs lazy.

in this case, lazy wins out.
:lol: right with you on this one. Same reason I use distilled. Also dump it and let it dry out every few days because I don't like how slimy it gets. Lazy definitely beats my cheap gene on distilled water. Luckily distilled water isn't expensive.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:13 pm

Hey....you two lazy cheapskates.... :lol: :lol:
You know how I look at it and choose to use distilled water....my time is also worth something and I simply figure it costs me in time if I try to save too much in real money.
My rationale....1 gallon of distilled at my local WalMart costs me 88 cents and it last me about a month.
If I was cheap and wanted to save that 88 cents I would have to take the time to soak in vinegar (which I absolutely hate the smell so I would be using copious amounts of tap water to rinse the stink away) or maybe lemon juice.....and vinegar and lemon juice also costs money....and then their is my time involved with the soaking and rinsing and all that. Considering how hard my tap water is...probably would need to do it about once a week.
I think 88 cents a month ends up being a lot less cost when we factor in the other supplies AND MY TIME. :lol: :lol:

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Deborah K.

Post by Deborah K. » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:53 pm

I'm lazy too, but being lazy about buying and carrying the heavy bottles up the stairs trumps being too lazy to clean the tank. :wink:
Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset For Her
Mask: Bleep Dreamport mask system

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:01 pm

Deborah K. wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:53 pm
I'm lazy too, but being lazy about buying and carrying the heavy bottles up the stairs trumps being too lazy to clean the tank. :wink:
perhaps what we all should be saying is that we enjoy the "convenience" of distilled water?
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac