Esophageal Reflux

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Runny

Esophageal Reflux

Post by Runny » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:15 pm

I looked up sleep apnea on About.com this morning. Among other things, they claim it can be related to esophageal reflux. I have had that problem for almost a decade and have had two endoscopies. The doc wants me to stay on medication for reflux, but now I read where the usual medications interfere with calcium absorption.

Has anyone out there been able to eliminate esophageal reflux, thereby recovering from sleep apnea?

I'd like to know what causes this. This is NOT the way I want to be. I've been trying to get better for a year, but I still am not back to my normal memory or normal energy level. I have also never had a weight problem before, but I think I keep eating sweets now because I don't have enough energy.

bbeck4x4

Post by bbeck4x4 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:27 pm

a bad nights sleep for me= craving for sugar the entire next day, a good nights sleep and much less craving go figure.

Brian

dsm

Post by dsm » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:40 pm

I take reflux meds every day. And yes there is a very close relationship to OSA. For me the big complication is the sinus issue I have - (constant nasal congestion & sometimes that irritating nasal drip in the back of the throat).

There was a great link posted here a short while back that makes essential reading for us reflux sufferers. I'll see if I can find it.

Good luck

DSM

http://grandtimes.com/GERD.html
xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

bbeck4x4

Post by bbeck4x4 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:42 pm

I started with acid reflux in fact it is now being called barrett's esophagus, not fun info believe me.

I've been on the max dose of nexium for years now, it doesn't heal like they claim thats for sure.

Brian

pipesmell

Post by pipesmell » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:29 pm

Since I started cpap two months ago, I think I've only had two reflux episides. I typically would have an episode every other day, if not every day. My doc says that with osa, your stomach never gets to fully digest while your sleeping, because you never get a complete nights sleep.

pedroski

Re Runny & Brian's comments re appetite

Post by pedroski » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:58 pm

"I have also never had a weight problem before, but I think I keep eating sweets now because I don't have enough energy. Runny"

"a bad nights sleep for me= craving for sugar the entire next day, a good nights sleep and much less craving go figure.

Brian"

I have noticed a big difference in my appetite since starting cpap. I used to be hungry all the time, especially in the evening. My clinician told me it was because we need certain hours of deep sleep and if we don't get it, it mucks our appetite hormones up.

"New studies show sleeping fewer than eight hours a night boosts our levels of ghrelin, a hormone that makes us feel hungry, while suppressing another hormone, leptin, which makes us feel full"

Peter

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): CPAP

tomjax

reflux

Post by tomjax » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:15 am

Many, including myself, report that reflux is "cured" after starting cpap.
There are several proposed mechanisms for this.
I took everything in the pharmacy and otc for this condition, but mine was in the days before the purple pill and other PPI came along.

PPI are very effective in preventing tha production of acid and used by zillions of people. There is a price for this relief, though.

A rebound effect happens that in effect causes reflux and a person cannot come off the PPI easily.

IMHO, those taking PPI BEFORE cpap will not see relief after PAP because of this rebound. I had no such problem.

My wife had no reflux history at all, but was put on PPI for a cough that was actually allergy as we found out after our pet dog was put to sleep.
No more asthma for her, but she could not get off the purple pill.

This rebound is not publicized at all by the mfg for obvious reasons.

Bottom line- PPIs cause reflux and then treats it in a vicious circle.

Runny

Post by Runny » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:26 am

(constant nasal congestion & sometimes that irritating nasal drip in the back of the throat).
Thanks for all your responses, and yes, DSM, I have the same issue as you do with the drip in the back of my throat and chronic nasal congestion. What is baffling me is that it was pretty much gone for awhile. Now it's back with a vengeance. Things seemed to be going good with my CPAP treatment during late summer and fall. Then late in November I got new parts (tubing, mask, etc.), and I've had difficulty ever since. I do believe that part of it is the cold bedroom, which I absolutely refuse to change, since I like sleeping in a cold bedroom.

Last night I physically lowered my CPAP machine, per all the advice I read on this site, used my Snuggly on the tubing, and my Paddy Pads on my straps, turned up the humidifer, thinking it would just make warmer air and be less likely to condense all over my face--and, oh dear, the swivel joint kept squeaking! As Gilda used to say, there's always something! This is my last day off from work. Among my errands will be a trip to the drugstore for some of that KY jelly. I hope it works. I work 10-hour days because of the commute and traffic patterns. I need to get my energy level back--not to mention my memory. All I can do is keep on trying. Thank you all.

RestlessRoper

Post by RestlessRoper » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:39 am

I really got a lot of information from this thread. I have been on the CPAP for 30 days. I have noticed I have not had an acid stomach since the first three or four days. It used to keep me awake about 3 nights a week. Also may appetite seem to be cut in half. Tired certainly brings on hunger or at least the feeling of need to eat and eat quite a bit. I am looking forward to losing wt and being more active.
I had one post on here about plugged ears. That has mostly passed. I guess that was just part of the pressure adjustment.
Thanks to all who post their experiences.

Runny

Post by Runny » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:16 pm

I have been on CPAP for almost a year, and I am still a sugar junkie. If there is any hard candy near me, I am into it.

I don't notice acid reflux per se, but my esophagus burns all the time. I used to get esophagitis on a regular basis, but that does not happen any more. I try to stay away from acidic foods as well as all those other things most of us love--like chocolate, coffee, citrus, etc. It's pretty tough.

GoofyUT

GERD

Post by GoofyUT » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:33 pm

Here's what happens:

When your upper airway collapses due to OSA, when you try to breath in, your lungs create a negative pressure or vacuum or suction in your upper airway. That negative pressure is relieved by sucking up air in the only available channel, your esophagus. That draws stomache acids up your esophagus into your throat. That process not only damages and scars your esophogeal sphincture, making it flabby and less patent and less capable of containing stomach acids in your stomach, where they belong, but also causes irritation to your throat. That irritation causes swelling and defensive closures of your throat and that makes the upper airway collapse worse, making the OSA worse. And around and around it goes. That's why Rested Gal is SO RIGHT about urging folks to make sure to get medical attention and treatment for Gastro-esophogeal Reflux Disease (GERD) that so often and inevitably accompanies OSA. Failing to do so simply delays or prevents the therapeutic effects of competent treatment for the OSA.

Hope this helps.

Chuck
People are dying every day in Darfur simply for who they are!!! PLEASE HELP THEM!
http://www.savedarfur.org

Runny

Post by Runny » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:10 pm

Thanks, GoofyUT. It makes sense. I must have missed that posting by Rested Gal. I wish I could call myself a rested gal!

I'll address this with my family practice physician in a couple of weeks when I go in for a physical exam. He is so much better than either my ENT or my sleep doc.

Well, I have to get going at 5:20 a.m. tomorrow, so I'm calling it a night now. Thank you to everyone. You make this a wonderful and supportive site.

dsm

Post by dsm » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:09 pm

Runny wrote:
(constant nasal congestion & sometimes that irritating nasal drip in the back of the throat).
Thanks for all your responses, and yes, DSM, I have the same issue as you do with the drip in the back of my throat and chronic nasal congestion. What is baffling me is that it was pretty much gone for awhile. Now it's back with a vengeance. Things seemed to be going good with my CPAP treatment during late summer and fall. Then late in November I got new parts (tubing, mask, etc.), and I've had difficulty ever since. I do believe that part of it is the cold bedroom, which I absolutely refuse to change, since I like sleeping in a cold bedroom.

Last night I physically lowered my CPAP machine, per all the advice I read on this site, used my Snuggly on the tubing, and my Paddy Pads on my straps, turned up the humidifer, thinking it would just make warmer air and be less likely to condense all over my face--and, oh dear, the swivel joint kept squeaking! As Gilda used to say, there's always something! This is my last day off from work. Among my errands will be a trip to the drugstore for some of that KY jelly. I hope it works. I work 10-hour days because of the commute and traffic patterns. I need to get my energy level back--not to mention my memory. All I can do is keep on trying. Thank you all.
xPAP and Quattro std mask (plus a pad-a-cheek anti-leak strap)

JimH

Post by JimH » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:03 pm

As far as stuffiness in the nose, I have it all the time. I think I have become more sensitive to allergens since going on CPAP especially the nasal pillows. I also have a deviated septum which, from what I understand from my ENT, would lead to stuffiness in the nose as it doesn't drain properly.

Jim

GoofyUT

Stuffiness

Post by GoofyUT » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:07 pm

I've had the exact opposite experience. Since beginning xPAP witht he Swift, my nose has been clearer tahn any time during my adulthood. I sailed through last summer's various pollen seasons, which were BAD, without needing to take ANY decongestants or anti-histamines, or the Flonase that I had found relief from. And, its persisted intot he winter, which I'm grateful for. I find that the Swift absolutely clears out any congestion within minutes of donning it.

Cheers!

Chuck

People are dying every day in Darfur simply for who they are!!! PLEASE HELP THEM!
http://www.savedarfur.org