Hiking with CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
kong

Hiking with CPAP

Post by kong » Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:28 pm

Lately I've been going with a friend on long hikes. He wants me to go on a several day backpacking trip with him. But I wonder about CPAP on a backpacking trip. Does anyone have any experience with doing something similar? What equipment do you recommend?

Julie

Re: Hiking with CPAP

Post by Julie » Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:17 pm

PM Capn Loki who knows all about this.

Read his posts on batteries and a lot more.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:08 pm

Kong, if you are King Kong, you shouldn't have a problem carrying a XPAP and a battery to power it, both weigh way less that carrying a girl up the side of the Empire State building. :lol: Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:11 pm

Goofproof wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:08 pm
Kong, if you are King Kong, you shouldn't have a problem carrying a XPAP and a battery to power it, both weigh way less that carrying a girl up the side of the Empire State building. :lol: Jim
Not funny, Jim.
But very racist--enough already!
That war is long over--we lost.

boxofrain

Post by boxofrain » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:37 pm

I have been wondering the same thing. I am considering purchasing a Philips Dreamstation Go for backpacking. I would love to hear what the consensus is here. I definitely would not want to carry my full size Philips or Resmed unit plus battery on a backpack trip. Way too heavy. I'd have to leave the tent home LOL!!!

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:28 am

Hoo-yah!
Survival boot camp. You can do that!

kong

Post by kong » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:13 pm

Goofproof wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:08 pm
I"m a different kong. Great apes don't suffer from sleep apnea.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:30 pm

Are you sure about that? :D

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:08 pm

kong wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:13 pm
Great apes don't suffer from sleep apnea.
The ability of humans to speak is the root cause of sleep apnea. Speech requires a supra vocal cord tract in which the ratio of the horizontal distance between the incisor tooth and the pharynx is 1:1 with the vertical distance between the pharynx and the larynx being about equal. To acheive the 1:1 ratio, evolution brought laryngeal descent in humans, shortening of the mandible, posterior rotation of the facial skeleton and loss of the epiglottic-soft palate lock-up. These changes also allowed the tongue to become larger and thus it became partially housed in the elongated oral pharynx. When the mass of the tongue increases, it can occlude respiration during sleep. Thus the obstruction occurs mainly at night when the oropharynx is relaxed.

In the chimpanzee and other mammals, this ratio is not maintained, because the upper respiratory tract is designed only for feeding and respiration and not for speech.

Good things never last, Mr. Denham.
Last edited by ChicagoGranny on Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kong

Post by kong » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:33 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:08 pm
kong wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:13 pm
Great apes don't suffer from sleep apnea.
The ability of humans to speak is the root cause of sleep apnea. Speech requires a supra vocal cord tract in which the ratio of the horizontal distance between the incisor tooth and the pharynx is 1:1 with the vertical distance between the pharynx and the larynx being about equal. To acheive the 1:1 ratio, evolution brought laryngeal descent in humans, shortening of the mandible, posterior rotation of the facial skeleton and loss of the epiglottic-soft palate lock-up. These changes also allowed the tongue to become larger and thus it became partially housed in the elongated oral pharynx. When the mass of the tongue increases, it can occlude respiration during sleep. Thus the obstruction occurs mainly at night when the oropharynx is relaxed.

In the chimpanzee and other mammals, this ratio is not maintained, because the upper respiratory tract is designed only for feeding and respiration and not for speech.

Good things never last Mr. Denham.
I knew that it had something to do with speech. As to the details of why, I was ignorant. Thanks for you explanation, ChicagoGranny.