Off CPAP for life! LCHF now

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
boxofrain

Re: Off CPAP for life! LCHF now

Post by boxofrain » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:45 pm

OP, with all due respect, could you please post another pic? Going by your profile pic/avatar, you say you lost a lot of weight but your face and neck do not necessarily look thin. Maybe that is an old pic? It just makes it hard to believe that your sleep apnea just went away! Again I mean no disrespect, I am just curious, Thanks.

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:18 pm

zonker wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:59 pm
krl wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:57 pm
I did do another study and went from severe to mild about 6 months ago...
okay. i wanted to make sure of that. we've had lots of folks over my few years here come in and tell us they were "cured". but i only remember one user who actually did another sleep test to confirm.
I lost 30 pounds and also went from severe to mild, and I did another sleep test to confirm. I was very happy to know my apnea was considered mild, but I still had apnea and still use my machine.
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for her w/humid air/heated Humidifier
Bleep/P10

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:42 pm

The popcorn is OK, but no thanks to washing it down with Kool Aid. :shock:

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:29 am

krl wrote:
youtube - Dr. Boz (Annette Bosworth MD), Adapt Your Life - Dr. Westman, Dr. Eric Berg DC and perhaps my favorite Ken Berry MD.
Those are outliers. I'll stick with the great body of medical research.
It's advertised as a weight-loss wonder, but this eating plan is actually a medical diet that comes with serious risks.

Unlike other low-carb diets, which focus on protein, a keto plan centers on fat, which supplies as much as 90% of daily calories. And it's not the type of diet to try as an experiment.

Keto diet risks
A ketogenic diet has numerous risks. Top of the list: it's high in saturated fat. McManus recommends that you keep saturated fats to no more than 7% of your daily calories because of the link to heart disease. And indeed, the keto diet is associated with an increase in "bad" LDL cholesterol, which is also linked to heart disease.

Other potential keto risks include these:

Nutrient deficiency. "If you're not eating a wide variety of vegetables, fruits, and grains, you may be at risk for deficiencies in micronutrients, including selenium, magnesium, phosphorus, and vitamins B and C," McManus says.

Liver problems. With so much fat to metabolize, the diet could make any existing liver conditions worse.

Kidney problems. The kidneys help metabolize protein, and McManus says the keto diet may overload them. (The current recommended intake for protein averages 46 grams per day for women, and 56 grams for men).

Constipation. The keto diet is low in fibrous foods like grains and legumes.

Fuzzy thinking and mood swings. "The brain needs sugar from healthy carbohydrates to function. Low-carb diets may cause confusion and irritability," McManus says.

Those risks add up — so make sure that you talk to a doctor and a registered dietitian before ever attempting a ketogenic diet.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying- ... -keto-diet

zonker

Post by zonker » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:47 am

Lucyhere wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:18 pm

I lost 30 pounds and also went from severe to mild, and I did another sleep test to confirm. I was very happy to know my apnea was considered mild, but I still had apnea and still use my machine.
nice work on the weight loss! i could stand losing a few pounds, but would need to have some kind of magic wand waved over me.

the discipline of a diet is not for me.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:53 pm

With diabetes, carbs create cravings, which lead to more carbs, ad infinitum.
Just cutting back on the carbs (and doing a bit more walking) is not as difficult as
a "diet", which runs counter to the body's need for nutrition.
Still takes discipline--but way less misery.

khauser

Post by khauser » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:28 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:53 pm
With diabetes, carbs create cravings, which lead to more carbs, ad infinitum.
Just cutting back on the carbs (and doing a bit more walking) is not as difficult as
a "diet", which runs counter to the body's need for nutrition.
Still takes discipline--but way less misery.
+1
Sugar (all carbs excluding fiber and sugar alcohols) cause the body to release insulin. As insulin causes blood sugar to be absorbed in to cells, we feel hungry again and it repeats. Keto and low carb aim to control that by reducing the swing.

I'm a type 2 diabetic. While practicing low carb my A1C remains below 6 (usually below 5.5). Gayness blood glucose is slightly high but under 120.

Oh, cholesterol. Total 138, good 60, bad 54. Triglycerides 119.

Before low carb my triglycerides were so high as to be beyond measuring (easily over 400).

I have bad back issues which limit my exercise options, so weight loss is slower than I want, but it exists.

I would switch to true keto (less protein and more fat) but I'm old and like my cancer causing red meat too much.

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:20 pm

zonker wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:47 am
Lucyhere wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:18 pm

nice work on the weight loss! i could stand losing a few pounds, but would need to have some kind of magic wand waved over me.

the discipline of a diet is not for me.

Zonker, please don't tell anyone, but truth be told, I've gained back 15lbs. since the beginning of March. I've been eating everything I know I shouldn't be eating. Amazon and I have become good friends. Happily they sell inexpensive sweats and jeans, which will be my go to for the Winter months. ICE CREAM, ICE CREAM, ICE CREAM! :lol: :lol:
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for her w/humid air/heated Humidifier
Bleep/P10

kong

Post by kong » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:11 pm

I'm a fan of the low car, high fat (LCHF) diet, although it only helped me lose a few pounds. But I know many people are much more successful with it than I am.

Any diet that helps a person lose weight may help the person with obstructive sleep apnea.

However, there are people who are quite skinny with OSA.

I don't have any problem with how you handled things since you did get a sleep study and verified you only have mild sleep apnea. However, I strongly recommend that a person follow medical recommendations.

khauser

Post by khauser » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:41 pm

kong wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:11 pm
I'm a fan of the low car, high fat (LCHF) diet, although it only helped me lose a few pounds. But I know many people are much more successful with it than I am.
There are many flavors of "low carb". And there's the ymmv factor. I have to constrain net carbs to 20 or less to get the real benefit, which is increased energy without increased appetite. Once I exceed 20 the appetite explodes.

Working from home has made it harder ... too easy to get food. At work I don't even think about it.

peelunkins

Post by peelunkins » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:48 pm

palerider wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:53 pm
krl wrote:
I did do another study and went from severe to mild about 6 months ago
So, instead of having an apnea every minute, you have one every few minutes.

Best of luck to you.
+1

zonker

Post by zonker » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:53 pm

Lucyhere wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:20 pm

Zonker, please don't tell anyone,
nudge, nudge, wink, wink...i won't tell a soul!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

boxofrain

Post by boxofrain » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:23 am

khauser wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:28 pm
+1
Sugar (all carbs excluding fiber and sugar alcohols) cause the body to release insulin. As insulin causes blood sugar to be absorbed in to cells, we feel hungry again and it repeats. Keto and low carb aim to control that by reducing the swing.

I'm a type 2 diabetic. While practicing low carb my A1C remains below 6 (usually below 5.5). Gayness blood glucose is slightly high but under 120.

Oh, cholesterol. Total 138, good 60, bad 54. Triglycerides 119.

Before low carb my triglycerides were so high as to be beyond measuring (easily over 400).
Great stuff man!!! Nice job!

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:42 am

khauser wrote:
Sugar (all carbs excluding fiber and sugar alcohols) cause the body to release insulin.
Sugar alcohol, protein and fat - all cause the body to release insulin. It's how the body metabolizes these food sources.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/9416027/

khauser

Post by khauser » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:50 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:42 am
khauser wrote:
Sugar (all carbs excluding fiber and sugar alcohols) cause the body to release insulin.
Sugar alcohol, protein and fat - all cause the body to release insulin. It's how the body metabolizes these food sources.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/9416027/
It's not the insulin itself that's inherently a problem, but the effect on blood glucose. Protein and fat don't tend to raise blood glucose, as mentioned in the abstract of that linked article. It's the spike and decline of blood glucose that leads to hunger cravings.

There was a whole (very complicated) diet plan around this called the glycemic diet. It aimed to reduce the glycemic response by selecting foods that had a slower response.