TUBE TEMP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
robz1

TUBE TEMP

Post by robz1 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:37 pm

So i have airsense 10 auto...i used to keep humidity setting on auto but in the end, really keep me to dried out....started fooling with manual...i have found that level 5 on the humidity setting is nice...however, i have had a few times of rain out and i'm wondering if playing with the tube temp might help....not really sure if i need to go warmer or cooler on that....any guidance would be grateful

Pugsy

Re: TUBE TEMP

Post by Pugsy » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:55 pm

Go warmer. Warm air retains or holds onto more water than cool air.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

robz1

Post by robz1 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:19 am

Thank you....

golfgame

Post by golfgame » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:58 am

Pugsy wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:55 pm
Go warmer. Warm air retains or holds onto more than cool air.
All of a sudden I am experiencing Rain Out in a huge way. We keep the room at 68* and have had forever. Could the heated tube have failed?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:24 am

golfgame wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:58 am
Pugsy wrote:
All of a sudden I am experiencing Rain Out in a huge way. We keep the room at 68* and have had forever. Could the heated tube have failed?
If nothing else has changed...like humidity setting on the machine or new mask, etc...yes, heated hoses can fail.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

golfgame

Post by golfgame » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:40 am

Pugsy wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:24 am
golfgame wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:58 am
Pugsy wrote:
If nothing else has changed...like humidity setting on the machine or new mask, etc...yes, heated hoses can fail.
I do have a new hose that I can try out to test. It should not be the mask as I use the Bleep system. Given that I have a Res-Med Airsense 10 Auto what would you recommend for a setup? I have changed the initial set-up but only after this issue started. Seeing that it was not present previously was why I asked about a hose failure. Perhaps it is something in the machine as well?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:51 am

I would need to know your current settings with your AirCurve machine to advise comparable settings on the AirSense 10 machine.

I would start with the obvious though...check out the hose and see if it is even heating up. Turn the hose air temp up to max and run the machine for about 10 minutes...hose air should be gently warm to touch. Won't feel hot but should warm up a bit. The most it will go to is 86 degrees Fah. It won't ever feel "hot".

Then try a new hose with same setup and same temp.

These heated hoses have little wires in them and little wires can break and when wires break obviously we lose connectivity.

Could it be a problem with the machine....yeah, but unplug the hose from the humidifier port thing...watch the screen to see if the machine recognizes the hose or not. Both old hose and new hose. There are some pins in that connection that can break or get bent but that's a rarity.

You are just going to have to do some experiments to try to isolate the problem.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:12 am

It might help to unplug the machine and hose; then clean the contacts.
Sometimes a little thing like descaling the electrical connection does the trick.

golfgame

Post by golfgame » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:52 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:51 am
I would need to know your current settings with your AirCurve machine to advise comparable settings on the AirSense 10 machine.

I would start with the obvious though... out the hose and see if it is even heating up. Turn the hose air temp up to max and run the machine for about 10 minutes...hose air should be gently warm to touch. Won't feel hot but should warm up a bit. The most it will go to is 86 degrees Fah. It won't ever feel "hot".

Then try a new hose with same setup and same temp.

These heated hoses have little wires in them and little wires can break and when wires break obviously we lose connectivity.

Could it be a problem with the machine....yeah, but unplug the hose from the humidifier port thing...watch the screen to see if the machine recognizes the hose or not. Both old hose and new hose. There are some pins in that connection that can break or get bent but that's a rarity.

You are just going to have to do some experiments to try to isolate the problem.
I mispoke when I mentioned AirSense, I do have the AirCurve. I tested the existing hose along with a new one, I used an remote meat sensor and inserted the probe into the tube opening carefully so as not to touch the sides. I set the temp to 85* one tube showed 83* and the other 82*.

What would be the proper setting for mode, CPAP, Auto or S?

Any suggestions on setup going forward?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:13 pm

Try a hose cozy.
They were widely used before heated hoses, and Resmed sells one for their heated hoses.
No need to use theirs--too short and too pricy.
Just don't tell Resmed--they like money too well.
Pad a cheeks has nice hose cozies.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:26 pm

golfgame wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:52 pm
What would be the proper setting for mode, CPAP, Auto or S?

Any suggestions on setup going forward?
For what problem? The rain out problem or just setting up a new machine?

Mode won't affect condensation problem or fix condensation problem.

If you have condensation problems now and didn't before and you have eliminated a heated hose malfunction then the something changed. Either the humidity being delivered changed or hose air temp changed or ambient room temp changed.

In general for condensation in the mask or hose....I always adjust hose air temp upwards first. It's the easier fix and I always do easy first.
Sometimes it's just a matter of one degree...sometimes more. My nose doesn't like it when I go screwing with the humidity settings and my body doesn't like it when I go screwing with the ambient room temps. I don't sleep so great when I am too warm so I keep a colder bedroom.

If setting up the new machine to match the old machine...and the machine models offer the same setting choices...just duplicate them.