desperate

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
pnwbliss57@gmail.com

desperate

Post by pnwbliss57@gmail.com » Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:58 pm

58 yo male, 180 lbs. sleep test 3 yrs ago showed 36 apneas per hour when on my back. i use resmed 10 but not often since i find mask on ground in morning. all i want to do allday is lie down. my eyes feel puffy allday and my breathing seems winded not while lying down but after doing things that wouldn't normally provoke elevated ;reathing. i seem to "sigh" allday long... i dont take daytime naps as it feels more like fatig<e than sleepiness. heres where i need help, the day after usimg cpap w 4- 6 hours w low or no ahi i still have these symptoms. shouldn't i feel symptom free provided i get 6 good cpap hours? can you comment onthe ;breathing and eye puffiness? i think the eyes r puffy cause my body is struggling allday everyday. my quality of life is down to 25%...and any ideas on "not" ripping mask off during nite? this condition could kill me....

Julie

Re: desperate

Post by Julie » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:23 pm

Having a low AHI is not everything, how you feel is a lot. Have you been tested for other possible reasons for your fatigue like thyroid, sugar, etc?

Do you have a pulmonologist, cardiologist, or just a GP?

What mask do you use? Is your machine an auto? At what pressures? If they're not ideal for you some tweaking may be in order.

Download Oscar (top of the page) and follow instructions re what to post - and what not to - and we'll see what's what overnight, so be able to advise once we see things.

khauser

Post by khauser » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:44 pm

pnwbliss57@gmail.com wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:58 pm
58 yo male, 180 lbs. sleep test 3 yrs ago showed 36 apneas per hour when on my back. i use resmed 10 but not often since i find mask on ground in morning. all i want to do allday is lie down. my eyes feel puffy allday and my breathing seems winded not while lying down but after doing things that wouldn't normally provoke elevated ;reathing. i seem to "sigh" allday long... i dont take daytime naps as it feels more like fatig<e than sleepiness. heres where i need help, the day after usimg cpap w 4- 6 hours w low or no ahi i still have these symptoms. shouldn't i feel symptom free provided i get 6 good cpap hours? can you comment onthe ;breathing and eye puffiness? i think the eyes r puffy cause my body is struggling allday everyday. my quality of life is down to 25%...and any ideas on "not" ripping mask off during nite? this condition could kill me....
Even if you get some good sleep the time you're asleep without treatment causes a lot of damage which in turn will make you feel fatigued.
What mask are you using? Hard to make specific suggestions on keeping the mask on without knowing what we're dealing with...

pnwbliss57@gmail.com

Post by pnwbliss57@gmail.com » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:51 pm

thank u for helpong. resmed airfit f20 full face mask size medium

pnwbliss57@gmail.com

Post by pnwbliss57@gmail.com » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:57 pm

julie...i just have a gp for now and he knows about this problem but has lean3d toward apnea as cause...machine is on auto 11 min pressure 20 max...full face resmed airfit f20 mask s>ze medium.

i cant find oscar at top of page?

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:25 pm

https://www.SleepFiles.com/OSCAR

I am a bit worried about you - ask for a referral to a cardiologist or make your own (up here we have to get referrals, but I don't think you do).

klm49

Post by klm49 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:57 am

Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:58 pm
You can't use CPAP intermittently and expect results, it can take a while for any improvements.

Resmed AirCurve10 Vauto w/humidifier
Amara View mask
O2 - 2-4 lpm

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:58 am

Like Julie, I have some concerns here. You make a very good distinction between sleepiness and fatigue. The fact that you aren't sleepy during the day but are fatigued seems significant, as does you sense that you are too easily winded and feel a need to take sighing breaths.

Your doctor is understandably interesting in seeing whether your severe apnea is at the root of your problem, but the fact is that you may have two problems, not one.

I would suggest getting an O2 monitor to understand your daytime and nighttime O2 levels. If they drop below 90% with any frequency, this may help your doctor understand what kind of additional testing and treatment you might need. Take a look at this thread for some possibilities:

viewtopic/t178291/Help-choosing-an-SpO2-monitor.html
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

khauser

Post by khauser » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:35 am

Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:51 pm
thank u for helpong. resmed airfit f20 full face mask size medium
OK, so with a FFM, tape is a good way to help learn not to remove the mask. If you securely tape the mask to your face you'll at least know WHEN you are taking the mask off. Over a little time that might help you to defeat the urge to remove the mask. The trick here is to make removing the mask have to be a conscious enough effort that you can maybe note why you are doing it (it's uncomfortable, it's leaking, etc) and then work towards improving the use.

Please do not take this as a reason to ignore other posts about seeing a doctor too. They are not mutually exclusive, and getting the mask to stay on is only part of the issue...