Self-adjustment experience

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sonno

Self-adjustment experience

Post by sonno » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:36 am

With the help of this board I have had success quickly getting AHI down from 12 to .3 in a few weeks. Tricky data in the middle showing central apneas seems to have been due to pressure changes ( ramp and EPAP ). Switching to fixed pressure and switching to a FFM vs nasal cushion, CA has been eliminated despite increasing pressure.

I asked the sleep md's concurrence to allow me to self-titrate using her recommended pressure as a starting point, with an agreed follow-up at next appt. She was very happy to do that probably in part because COVID has prevented me from getting an in-hospital titration study( their lab is closed except for serious situations). I moved from her suggested 8.0 to 11.0 over 2 weeks and eliminated all OA and H events and increased sleep time by over an hour. Stopped titarting when OA and H reached zero. Just wanted to note that self titration with MD collaboration seems to be an option that can speed the path to results, avoids a constant back and forth for each small pressure change etc.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Self-adjustment experience

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:05 am

Many here just did it without the doctor--same result, less expense.

Miss Emerita

Re: Self-adjustment experience

Post by Miss Emerita » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:25 am

It's great you have a doctor who is open to collaboration. And congratulations on your impressive success in arriving at your optimal settings.

In fact, I wonder whether you'd consider copying and pasting your message into the "Success Stories" thread above. I think it would be great for people to see it there.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/