Nervous About Home Sleep Study

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Gorbash132

Nervous About Home Sleep Study

Post by Gorbash132 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:41 pm

Undiagnosed Sleep Apnea? Destined for CPAP?

I thought I was depressed. I thought I was lazy. I mentioned to my doctor that I've been sleeping entire weekends away. I can't make it through a day without a nap. Getting out of bed (or off the couch) takes tremendous effort.

He asked me some questions. Theorized it may be sleep apnea. I started researching and said yeah, that fits me. Mostly.

Snoring? Yes, so I'm told (I'm single and live alone). I don't know that it qualifies as "loud"
Wake up choking? No. Not that I'm aware of. I've woken myself up mid-snore before.
Headaches when waking? No? Sometimes late afternoon, yes.
Awake with dry mouth? No? I mean, doesn't everyone to some degree?
Awake with a sore throat? No.
Am I overweight? No (BMI is a little high, and I'm a 38 year old male)
Blood pressure? "Perfect" - according to nurses who take it. Always has been.

I saw an ENT. He ordered an at home sleep study. I do that one week from this posting.

I'm nervous. What if on the two nights of the test I have a "good night" and the results say no not sleep apnea? What if my case is so mild it doesn't register on the device?

As scared as I was at first, I want it to be sleep apnea now. I want to start CPAP and get on living life again. I'm just very anxious about the test coming back false when it is really true. Or Im anxious that it's NOT sleep apnea and that it will be some strange hard to diagnose thing that will only cost me more money and many more nights of non-restful sleep.

Julie

Re: Nervous About Home Sleep Study

Post by Julie » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:11 am

First of all, even if you don't have apnea, why would the alternatives necessarily be strange things? There are so many conditions, etc. that being tired or sleepy are symptoms of (thyroid would be a good place to start with a test for) and none are 'strange'.

Second, why assume that apnea won't show up on the testing nights - not likely if you have it after all - and if it's that mild then you shouldn't have a problem exploring other reasons for symptoms... maybe even depression which needs a whole other approach that could help you get back to whatever normal is there.

What's strange is that someone actively looks for something requiring some work adjusting to (like a cpap machine) rather than finding out the tests may be negative and that they should then actively look for other causes so they can be treated.

If you do have apnea, maybe you're so tired of living with it that you're not appreciating how much better you'll feel if treated, and have gotten used to feeling lousy... which is a very good reason to do the test.

Gorbash132

Post by Gorbash132 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:09 am

Julie wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:11 am
First of all, even if you don't have apnea, why would the alternatives necessarily be strange things? There are so many conditions, etc. that being tired or sleepy are symptoms of (thyroid would be a good place to start with a test for) and none are 'strange'.

Second, why assume that apnea won't show up on the testing nights - not likely if you have it after all - and if it's that mild then you shouldn't have a problem exploring other reasons for symptoms... maybe even depression which needs a whole other approach that could help you get back to whatever normal is there.

What's strange is that someone actively looks for something requiring some work adjusting to (like a cpap machine) rather than finding out the tests may be negative and that they should then actively look for other causes so they can be treated.

If you do have apnea, maybe you're so tired of living with it that you're not appreciating how much better you'll feel if treated, and have gotten used to feeling lousy... which is a very good reason to do the test.
Mostly I'm the type that is prone to be anxious and worry about these things. In the past getting things diagnosed has been anything but straight forward and it usually ends up being something "strange" in that the odds of "it being that" were very low and therefore it wasn't the first (second or third) thing tested for.

They've tested my thyroid. It's good.
I've suffered from depression in the past and there is a general agreement/conclusion it's not that.
My fear of it not showing up on testing nights is my anxiety about the uncertain future.
I'm all about doing the test. I'd do it tonight if I could!
Mostly I'm anxious to reach a conclusion about what's up with me with as little time between now and then as possible.

Oh, and two symptoms I left off: night sweats and waking up to go to the bathroom 1-2 times a night.

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:17 pm

Aha - your afterthought about the sweats and bathrm visits definitely point to apnea (had them both and they disappeared very fast once on Apap. And many are told they are 'depressed' and need meds when all they really need is Cpap, so relax a bit, you sound normal. :D

Gorbash132

Post by Gorbash132 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:52 am

Julie wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:17 pm
Aha - your afterthought about the sweats and bathrm visits definitely point to apnea (had them both and they disappeared very fast once on Apap. And many are told they are 'depressed' and need meds when all they really need is Cpap, so relax a bit, you sound normal. :D
Thanks, Julie. I appreciate your reply. My sleep test is coming up in a few days!

Gorbash132

Post by Gorbash132 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:54 pm

I did my at-home test. It was done over 2 nights. I guess it went OK? The devices stayed attached and working!

I know it's not particularly reliable, but I do track my sleep via AutoSleep and my iWatch. It noted that those two nights I got 50% more deep sleep than usual. I think I just wasn't moving as much because my subconscious knew I was wired lol

But I did get sweaty and did have my nightly bathroom visit and I did feel wiped the next days, so I suppose they tested "typical" nights.

I'm anxiously awaiting the results (7-10 days!!).

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:57 pm

Let us know - in this thread plse.

Gorbash132

Post by Gorbash132 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:05 pm

Julie wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:57 pm
Let us know - in this thread plse.
I will! Thanks :-)

I realize that it's irrational to think that if I have sleep apnea that it somehow "went into hiding" on the two nights of the test, but, hello, this is me as a human lol

donb123

Post by donb123 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:52 pm

It isn't irrational to think that. In the 2 weeks leading up to and after my at home test my apnea was worse than ever. I mean i rarely woke and I am rarely tired- except maybe at night if I'm watching TV I may fall asleep sometimes. But it got bad enough that I knew something wasn't right and it even escalated to the point that I didn't even want night to come and to sleep because I knew I'd wake up choking or snoring.

Now I'm on week 3 on a CPAP and just got 4:22 hrs.minutes of therapy last night. I'm excited to be going in the right direction as the first couple weeks were rough.

You'll get there....

Gorbash132

Post by Gorbash132 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:55 am

Haven't heard from my ENT yet, but I did have a chat with the sleep center manager that did the test. The results were inconclusive (2.9 the first night, 2.8 the second).

So I'm waiting on my ENT to get in touch about next steps. Probably an in-lab test. $$$ :(

I really was worried about my sleep test nights being "good nights". I guess the in-lab will show one way or another. The manager said she's seen results like mine and the in-lab has gone both ways, really a toss up.

I just want some relief :(((

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:59 am

Many have gone the DIY route, buying machines, masks, etc from individuals. (No Rx needed)
Some do it to skip ahead of slow medical tangles--others because insurance is often useless.

Gorbash132

Post by Gorbash132 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:30 pm

Saw my ENT today. He has ordered an in-lab sleep study to definitively rule in or rule out sleep apnea.

He said that if it's not sleep apnea, it's much more nebulous and will be difficult to diagnose.

I'm upset about spending so much money on a sleep study. I'm worried it won't be sleep apnea and I will continue to be exhausted all day every day for a long time to come. A whole lot of questions and little comfort at this moment.

And, of course, I don't know when the in-lab study will be. At least 1-2 weeks out.