COVID 19, CPAP, Ventilator MEGA THREAD...everything go here please

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
babydinosnoreless

Re: COVID 19, CPAP, Ventilator MEGA THREAD...everything go here please

Post by babydinosnoreless » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:32 am

I keep asking the dogs to do my dishes since most of the stuff relates to their food anyway and they promise to try but then I get "but mommie I can't reach the sink" excuse. :lol:
My dogs are ALL happy to do the pre wash cycle on our dishes, No rinsing needed. :lol: :lol:

Years ago hubby's mom was being a pain he put a dish down, let the dog lick it clean, then he picked it up and put it in the cupboard like that was his normal routine. Waited till she left, took it back out of the cupboard and put it into the dishwasher. :lol: :lol: I have no idea how he did it with a straight face but he was always good at pushing his moms buttons.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:08 am

babydinosnoreless wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:32 am
I keep asking the dogs to do my dishes since most of the stuff relates to their food anyway and they promise to try but then I get "but mommie I can't reach the sink" excuse. :lol:
My dogs are ALL happy to do the pre wash cycle on our dishes, No rinsing needed. :lol: :lol:

Years ago hubby's mom was being a pain he put a dish down, let the dog lick it clean, then he picked it up and put it in the cupboard like that was his normal routine. Waited till she left, took it back out of the cupboard and put it into the dishwasher. :lol: :lol: I have no idea how he did it with a straight face but he was always good at pushing his moms buttons.
My dogs are all good pre washers as well. We laugh about it saying they would lick the paint off if they could.
Sounds like your husband has a little bit of "little shithead" in him. :lol: :lol: I just imagine your life is never dull.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

cathyf

Post by cathyf » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:37 am

Since covid apparently infects a person by attaching to ACE2 receptors in the nose, has anyone tried wearing some sort of nose plugs full-time to prevent infection?

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:14 am

cathyf wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:37 am
Since covid apparently infects a person by attaching to ACE2 receptors in the nose, has anyone tried wearing some sort of nose plugs full-time to prevent infection?
There are also ACE2 receptors on the surface of alveolar cells in the lungs.

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:19 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:08 am
babydinosnoreless wrote:

My dogs are all good pre washers as well. We laugh about it saying they would lick the paint off if they could.
Sounds like your husband has a little bit of "little shithead" in him. :lol: :lol: I just imagine your life is never dull.
More than a bit :lol: :lol: and the older we get the more it displays itself. Then again I have quite a lot of the "shithead" in me too. My poor kids. :lol: :lol:

cathyf

Post by cathyf » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:44 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:14 am
There are also ACE2 receptors on the surface of alveolar cells in the lungs.
Sure, but the mechanism is believed to be that the virus attaches to the ACE2s in the nose and starts replicating. Then after the volume of virus increases by a gazillion-fold, it travels down the respiratory tract and into the lungs. We know that in 60-80% of exposures, the virus doesn't get a foothold. Sometimes the initial exposure isn't enough and the virus just dies back. Sometimes the person's T-cells kill it. Some people get as far as antibodies and they produce enough of them and fast enough that they can beat the infection back. But, anyway, we are pretty sure that the virus can't attack the lungs directly, and it needs that beachhead in the nose to replicate and produce enough virus copies to seriously threaten the lungs.

It's believed that the reason that it is so difficult for children to get covid is that the density of ACE2 receptors in the nose goes up sharply by age (see the graph in this paper:
https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... and_Adults )

As an analogy, think about the D-Day invasion. Certainly from the beginning of the war the Allies could bomb the Germans, and sneak small numbers of saboteurs in, but we weren't going to win the war without an invasion which landed large numbers of troops on the continent. From Normandy, the Allied troops then advanced across France and invaded Germany. But before any of that could happen, the troops had to make it onto the beaches, and past the German defenders. That's not so different from what happens when an individual's nose gets invaded by Covid -- the virus has to battle through multiple layers of immune defense in order to get the opportunity to invade the lungs.

Now the reason that D-Day succeeded ultimately is that the entire coastline of France was too much to defend, and the Allies kept the landing site secret so that they only had to overwhelm a relatively small force of German defenders. As opposed to two nostrils which is a very small target to defend. And as all of us cpap users are completely aware, you don't need both mouth AND nose to breathe, you can totally get by with one or the other. The problem with wearing a facemask is that it covers both mouth and nose, and it can't cover them particularly completely or you can't breathe.

I'm just wondering if it would work to only protect the nose -- and completely protect It with something like these -- https://www.cpap.com/productpage/fisher ... racle-mask while leaving the mouth clear to breathe.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:06 am

cathyf wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:44 pm
... the mechanism is believed to be ...
Very interesting. Thanks.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:50 pm

babydinosnoreless wrote:

When I was a child, my mother caught me letting the dog lick the plate clean and then put it in the cabinet. She had no idea how many times I had done that, so she took every dish I could reach out of the cabinet and washed them. My did never let his dog lick his plate, but he used to sit at the table after he finished a meal and feed the dog green beans using his fork. I think he did it just to upset my mother. He enjoyed doing that. After he retired, his favorite thing was to get my mother arguing about something, look at her, reach up and turn his hearing aids off, and then pick up his newspaper.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:12 pm

Okie bipap wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:50 pm
He enjoyed doing that. After he retired, his favorite thing was to get my mother arguing about something, look at her, reach up and turn his hearing aids off, and then pick up his newspaper.
:lol: :lol: I feed the dogs off of my fork sometimes. Saves my fingers. If hubby tried the hearing aid thing on me though I would kick his behind ! :lol:

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:58 am

You can never control where a thread on cpaptalk will go. Here, we have a nice thread about COVID-19 and it wonders off to dogs licking plates. Maybe (or for sure), people are burned out talking about COVID-19?

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:03 am

Depends on whether or not you subscribe to the proposed theory that COVID-19 lockdown was engineered by the canine fringe to keep humans at home taking better care of them.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:33 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:58 am
You can never control where a thread on cpaptalk will go. Here, we have a nice thread about COVID-19 and it wonders off to dogs licking plates. Maybe (or for sure), people are burned out talking about COVID-19?
:lol: :lol: Just goes to show you that even an OT catch all thread can go way OT when given enough time.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:25 am

Such a cute picture. Would much rather talk about dogs licking plates.

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:34 am

you mean, dogs licking plates ISN'T a cure for covid-19?

<bummer>
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:46 am

It looks like if you happen to get infected with COVID-19 a good way to deal with it is by taking rather large amounts of Vitamin D over a short period of time.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 6020302764