CPAP machine "serviced", not replaced

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Goofproof

Re: CPAP machine "serviced", not replaced

Post by Goofproof » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:35 am

Julie wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:32 am
Things can 'work' just as well if they are fixed properly rather than being replaced.
[/quote

A modern car has over 10,000 parts, replacing the gas cap will NOT make it new. However replacing the gas cap may allow you to drive it home without it turning on the check engine light, Just 9,999 more trips to go..... :lol: Jim

In Canada, that could mean a lots of cold walks home. Even harder carrying those bottles of distilled water home.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:45 am

If manufactures made it a priority to design their products, with quality instead of just profit only as their goal, products would operate last longer and operate better without as much need for warranty service. Jim

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

khauser

Post by khauser » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:54 am

Goofproof wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:45 am
If manufactures made it a priority to design their products, with quality instead of just profit only as their goal, products would operate last longer and operate better without as much need for warranty service. Jim
But if a CEO doesn't drive a company to maximize profits they lose their job for not meeting their fiduciary responsibilities.

There might be something wrong with how we implement capitalism...

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:17 pm

Julie wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:32 am
Things can work just as well if they are fixed properly rather than being replaced.
And, sometimes*better*, compared to the somewhat automated production like where there was no QC on that individual unit as it rolled off the line.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:45 pm

khauser wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:54 am
Goofproof wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:45 am
But if a CEO doesn't drive a company to maximize profits they lose their job for not meeting their fiduciary responsibilities.

There might be something wrong with how we implement capitalism...
Maybe the (CEO's) have gotten so much GOLD BRAID on their hats, the Corp System needs de-braided. In the U.S.A. we used to engineer and build quality products, now we design them to be made in other countries with cheap labor, little Environmental Oversight, with little respect for quality for the product.

We now are paying dearly for it. Brand Name products are no more than pasted on badges for cut rate products designed to fill up Landfills, welcome to
'Your New Order"! They Own the Banks, and You :roll: Jim

'

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:47 pm

I can vouch for the "better" option. In 2006, my one-year-old original machine started developing a "wheeze" in the C-Flex function. Since it was well within the warranty period, I sent it back to CPAP.COM (where I purchased it) and had them send it to the factory for repair. It came back "better than new" and has been super quiet ever since. I know the PCA board (motherboard) wasn't replaced because it still had the same blower hours on it. Blower hours can only be zeroed by replacing the PCA board.
Since then, I've never had any reservations about "repairing" one of these machines.
In fact, I've even done a few repairs on my own on other machines after acquiring the hardware and software to set the date and time and perform other diagnostics.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

christinequilts

Post by christinequilts » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:07 pm

Years ago my 5 year old BiPap ST was rebuilt completely for my DME. It lasted for another 5 years of nightly use.

Revived1

Post by Revived1 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:55 am

An update on my CPAP situation.
As the guy at the store told me, everything inside the (faulty) new machine I originally bought was replaced except the shell, so in effect, the machine had been replaced. When I got it home, there was still a noise of breathing going through the air inlet as I breathed, but not quite as loud as before. They then totally exchanged it, shell and all, as they said this shouldn't be happening. The upshot is, the replacement is no better.
I can only assume that there's a bad batch of machines, OR that there is actually supposed to be this noise coming from it. I don't care too much about the noise, except for the fact that, if it shouldn't be there, it suggests that the machine isn't working as it should.
So, of these two possibilities, what do people think is most likely? If you have a machine the same as mine, especially one made very recently, can YOU hear your breathing going through the air inlet? If so, I can just put it down to being 'normal', but if not, I suppose I should keep trying until I get one that I'm sure is working properly.
Which of these two possibilities do people think is most likely?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:07 am

Would you try an experiment for me?
Take your mask off the long hose and stick the mask end of the long hose in your mouth and breathe and turn the machine on....do you still hear the machine making a loud noise when you breathe and are using the machine without wearing the mask?

Make sure water is in the water chamber and it is fully and completely inserted.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:09 am

Revived1 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:55 am
As the guy at the store told me, everything inside the (faulty) new machine I originally bought was replaced except the shell, so in effect, the machine had been replaced. When I got it home, there was still a noise of breathing going through the air inlet as I breathed, but not quite as loud as before. They then totally exchanged it, shell and all, as they said this shouldn't be happening. The upshot is, the replacement is no better.
I can only assume that there's a bad batch of machines, OR that there is actually supposed to be this noise coming from it. I don't care too much about the noise, except for the fact that, if it shouldn't be there, it suggests that the machine isn't working as it should.
So, of these two possibilities, what do people think is most likely? If you have a machine the same as mine, especially one made very recently, can YOU hear your breathing going through the air inlet? If so, I can just put it down to being 'normal', but if not, I suppose I should keep trying until I get one that I'm sure is working properly.
What's are the first 4 digits of the serial number of your machine?

billbolton

Post by billbolton » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:20 pm

Revived1 wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:42 pm
I'd never had any reason to believe that CPAP machines are regularly 'fixed'.
That most likely arises from the simple fact that they rarely break down, so users on the whole don't talk about them getting fixed.
wouldn't trust any manufacturer that would sell anything with a major fault and then not replace it.
Under the terms of the ACL, your machine did not have a major fault. :idea:

Revived1

Post by Revived1 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:02 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:07 am
Would you try an experiment for me?
Take your mask off the long hose and stick the mask end of the long hose in your mouth and breathe and turn the machine on....do you still hear the machine making a loud noise when you breathe and are using the machine without wearing the mask?

Make sure water is in the water chamber and it is fully and completely inserted.
Hi Pugsy!
Great to see you. Long time, no see. 😊 I don't come on here too much any more. Too many trolls. Hard to believe some of the people on this site are adults at times.
Anyway, thanks so much for your answer. I tried that experiment, and the noise is a lot louder without the mask on. I can feel the air being pulled into the machine through the air inlet when I place my hand over it while I'm breathing, as well. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? 🤔 Will look forward to your answer. :)
Thank you.

Revived1

Post by Revived1 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:09 pm

LSAT wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:09 am
Revived1 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:55 am
What's are the first 4 digits of the serial number of your machine?
Hi LSAT.
Thanks a lot for your reply. The first 4 digits of the serial number are 2220. This is also the case for the first machine, which they replaced. They were both made in Australia, (which is surprising to me, actually, because I thought we'd lost the ability to manufacture anything in Australia many years ago)! However, I don't think this problem is only confined to Australian machines, as I've done a lot of googling over the last few months, and there seem to be complaints about this issue all over the world.
I just wish I knew if it is a sound that SHOULD actually be there. If I knew either way, I would know what to do....either keep trying until I get one that works properly or just live with it, knowing it's okay.
Anyway, both of them have the serial number starting with 2220, so hopefully that tells you something.
Cheers. :)

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:19 pm

It's a bad thing....I was hoping that the breathing noise would go away with the mask off. :lol: :lol:
The mask you are using....I can hear my own breathing more with it than other masks.
It was a long shot...but worth trying.

And yes, I know we have some children here but as you know I am on another forum and sometimes the children are there as well.
Seems to be an unfortunate but common occurrence on the internet. I do slap some hands every now and then and give some time outs to some people but for the most part other than a few temper tantrums things aren't too rowdy here ...for the most part.
I have a fine line to walk here what with the forum owner being really big into free speech...even if that speech seems ugly at times.

I would be pitching a bitch fit if I kept getting a machine that wasn't next to silent. I own an older AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her and an AirCurve 10 VAuto....both machines are essentially silent and I would have to lay my ear on the machine to hear it take in any air or make any motor noise. Now some masks do cause me to hear my own breathing but that's conducted noise from the mask.
If the mask is taken out of the equation....the machine should be silent or next to silent. If it's not ....then there's something wrong with it. Now is it doing a good job? Probably but the noise would be a deal breaker for me.

Where are you getting these machines from? A local store for you? Aren't you down under (compared to me)?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Revived1

Post by Revived1 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:53 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:19 pm
It's a bad thing....I was hoping that the breathing noise would go away with the mask off. :lol: :lol:

I have a fine line to walk here what with the forum owner being really big into free speech...even if that speech seems ugly at times.

Where are you getting these machines from? A local store for you? Aren't you down under (compared to me)?
Shame. I was hoping you'd say it was a good thing that it was louder without the mask! :lol: Thanks for letting me know that it's not a good thing, anyway. Better to get bad news than none at all.

Re: the second point; I don't blame you one bit for the behaviour of trolls on here. Was just explaining why I'm not here much any more. (I've seen you mention before that the owner believes in free speech, so that's his thing). No probs. It's just not something I choose to be around. I expect it on the average chat site, but on a 'help' site....not really. :lol: Anyway, it just means the owner will accumulate more trolls on here and less people who are genuinely helpful, but no doubt he is aware of this.

Re: where I'm getting the machines; I'm getting them from a store near me. Yes, I'm in Australia....(Brisbane, Queensland). The store has a good reputation, and my sleep doctor only recommends two places in the whole of this city, (one of which is the one I go to). They are really good there...nice and very helpful, although I'm totally free to go to any other store if I want to. My insurance doesn't cover CPAP, so I have to pay for everything no matter where I go. I have wondered if I should just ask for a refund and go to another store to see if they might have machines that were from a different batch! Would be just my luck to go elsewhere and get one that was just as bad, anyway! :lol: Not sure what I'll do next. Guess I might have a chat to them, and see what they have to say/do about it. Not much point in replacing something if the replacement is going to be just as bad, though. :roll: Anyway, I'll have a think about it, and do "something" about it.
Cheers. Thanks again for your answer. 👍