How to prevent drooling with a full face mask?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
CPAPSteve

How to prevent drooling with a full face mask?

Post by CPAPSteve » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:08 pm

Before I ever started cpap therapy I rarely if ever dropped in my sleep. Lately, I have noticed that my mask liner is wet in the morning as a result of me drooling in my sleep when I sleep on my side. Has anyone else experienced drooling when using a FFM and what they did about it to prevent it?

klm49

Re: How to prevent drooling with a full face mask?

Post by klm49 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:33 am

CPAPSteve wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:08 pm
Before I ever started cpap therapy I rarely if ever dropped in my sleep. Lately, I have noticed that my mask liner is wet in the morning as a result of me drooling in my sleep when I sleep on my side. Has anyone else experienced drooling when using a FFM and what they did about it to prevent it?

I used to drool sometimes, it seems to have stopped since I started taping muth shut to prevent mouth breathing.

Resmed AirCurve10 Vauto w/humidifier
Amara View mask
O2 - 2-4 lpm

esel

Post by esel » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:19 am

Check if the drooling is not some water condensation in the hose or mask. Try reducing the relative humidity set on the CPAP.

I had the opposite, my mouth dries out with CPAP it stopped the drooling. :D

Only ME... - :) - Some days sooo slow, some days just running off track ...

CPAPSteve

Post by CPAPSteve » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:21 pm

Definitely not condensation in the mask. The mask presses against my face when I sleep on my sides and it puts just enough pressure to make my lips separate and thus the drool slowly starts. It isn’t much but it is nonetheless annoying and kinda gross.

My mask is fitted quite snugly. If I loosen it more than what it is already then I will start having leaks.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:43 pm

A cotton mask liner will absorb the moisture

Revived1

Post by Revived1 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:59 pm

CPAPSteve wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:08 pm
Did you happen to start any new medication at about the time the drooling started? If so, check whether drooling can be a side-effect. Some medications will cause that. If so, you could ask the doctor whether there is any alternate med. without that side-effect.
If you can't resolve the drooling, I'd go with the suggestion above, i.e. using cotton mask liners. That will work. 👍
Good luck.

CPAPSteve

Post by CPAPSteve » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:34 am

hmm good point. Fortunately no medications at all except for the occasional sleeping pill when I've consumed too much caffeine and can't sleep.

I think my situation is a result of me being so tired and the mask sitting on my face the way it is presses my face in such a manner that my lips spread apart. I've woken up in the middle of the night with chipmunk cheeks so evidently I do mouth breathe in my sleep more than I thought.

Shredhead1104

Post by Shredhead1104 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:27 pm

Try cutting down the humidity. I had the same issue and still do sometimes but it is way worse if my humidity is set too high.