Nose bleeds

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
colomom

Nose bleeds

Post by colomom » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:57 pm

Does anyone have suggestions of things to do to continue to be able to use a CPAP when having nose bleeds? My son can get bad nosebleeds and using the CPAP usually restarts the bleeding. His uses a Dreamstation APAP + O2 and a Dreamwear nasal mask. He has a stand alone humidifier in his room and likes to have his APAP humidity level cranked up (he has experimented with lower humidity and feels it makes things worse). His nosebleeds have warranted ER and ENT visits in the past. His ENT doc told him that when he gets nosebleeds he needs to either take a break from CPAP for a couple of weeks to allow time for his nose to fully heal or get it cauterized. The tourists are flocking back in droves to our small mountain town, nearly every other plate is from Texas or Arizona. A number of these travelers feel that our cities local mask ordinance is a violation of their personal freedom, so they flood our community and flaunt local rules. COVID is now starting to surge in our community, our local hospitals ICU recently reached capacity :(
Anyway his ENT's practice is located inside our small local hospital I doubt if he could get in for a cauterization, and even if he could I don't want to bring him into the hospital right now. So unfortunately taking a break from CPAP seems to be the only option.

Which brings me to my question. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to speed the healing of his nose, or use the CPAP without it causing re-bleeding? He is using a saline gel to help keep things moist and he may try using Afrin for a couple of days. Any other suggestions of things to try?

Lifeisabeach

Re: Nose bleeds

Post by Lifeisabeach » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:13 pm

I'm a bit prone to nosebleeds myself, though not to the extent that cauterization was called for. I use Polysporin when I have a day where it hits me. I wouldn't recommend using this right before using CPAP though. Use it first thing in the morning, maybe again mid-afternoon. Settle for using nasal saline gel at night.

colomom

Post by colomom » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:01 pm

Lifeisabeach wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:13 pm
I'm a bit prone to nosebleeds myself, though not to the extent that cauterization was called for. I use Polysporin when I have a day where it hits me. I wouldn't recommend using this right before using CPAP though. Use it first thing in the morning, maybe again mid-afternoon. Settle for using nasal saline gel at night.
Thanks for the great suggestion, he’ll give it a try!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:11 pm

Try some of the Lansinoh lanolin ointment cream we often recommend for nasal pillow mask use.
It's totally safe to go up inside the nose and it does help keep things moisturized and it promotes healing. It's safe for babies to suck on when it's on mom's nipples.

Try to avoid anything with a petroleum base...while the risk is very small there is a thing called lip pneumonia that we don't want to get.
So Vasoline is a no no for sure.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:26 pm

And don't give him Afrin - there are enough other similar things that he could try. Afrin is addictive - the more you use the more you need, and I doubt that he 'needs' Afrin 'only'. I'm sure the pharmacist could suggest something else, but many here use Flonase.

colomom

Post by colomom » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:02 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:11 pm
Try some of the Lansinoh lanolin ointment cream we often recommend for nasal pillow mask use.
It's totally safe to go up inside the nose and it does help keep things moisturized and it promotes healing. It's safe for babies to suck on when it's on mom's nipples.

Try to avoid anything with a petroleum base...while the risk is very small there is a thing called lip pneumonia that we don't want to get.
So Vasoline is a no no for sure.
Thanks so much Pugsy, as always really appreciate you sharing your vast knowledge! I have sensitive skin/ allergies that caused some issues with my CPAP mask after reading about it on this forum I started using lanolin and it was very helpful for me. I’ll have my son give the lanolin a try!

Thank you as well for advise about not using Vaseline on a bloody nose! Vaseline was my mom’s go to for treating bloody noses, good to know that that Mom’s treatment could cause problems 😉

colomom

Post by colomom » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:19 pm

Julie wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:26 pm
And don't give him Afrin - there are enough other similar things that he could try. Afrin is addictive - the more you use the more you need, and I doubt that he 'needs' Afrin 'only'. I'm sure the pharmacist could suggest something else, but many here use Flonase.
My son takes Flonase for allergies when nosebleeds are not an issue and has been told to stop it when nosebleeds become an issue.
I am aware that long term use of Afrin can cause problems, that is why I specified he is only planning to use it for a couple of days. Whenever he has had nosebleeds bad enough to take him to the ER Afrin has always been a first line treatment they try. My layman’s understanding is that Afrin is a vasoconstrictor, which is helpful in treating nosebleeds.

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:35 pm

Oh, didn't know that, thanks!

Lifeisabeach

Post by Lifeisabeach » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:20 pm

colomom wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:19 pm
Julie wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:26 pm
My son takes Flonase for allergies when nosebleeds are not an issue and has been told to stop it when nosebleeds become an issue.
I am aware that long term use of Afrin can cause problems, that is why I specified he is only planning to use it for a couple of days. Whenever he has had nosebleeds bad enough to take him to the ER Afrin has always been a first line treatment they try. My layman’s understanding is that Afrin is a vasoconstrictor, which is helpful in treating nosebleeds.
Taking Claritin along with Afrin is supposed to help extend the period that Afrin can be used before the rebound syndrome becomes a problem.