Newbie needs help with Oscar interpretation- AHI Rising

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
gobucks

Newbie needs help with Oscar interpretation- AHI Rising

Post by gobucks » Sat May 23, 2020 9:01 am

Hi everyone,

Im a newbie and still in the process of learning how to interpret OSCAR data. I have watched several videos on it and am slowly getting the hang of it. However I still dont understand the big picture.

My AHI has been steadily rising since I got my APAP, which is a Phillips dreamstation with humidifier and heated tube. I use a resmed nasal mask.

My only comments are that I think sometimes I end up breathing through my mouth because my nose is usually super stuffy during the night. I wake up with a dry mouth for sure.

I still dont wake up feeling rested at all.

https://imgur.com/a/137TgtM

I would love to hear any thoughts or ideas.

Thank so much!

more02

Re: Newbie needs help with Oscar interpretation- AHI Rising

Post by more02 » Sat May 23, 2020 9:21 am

you slept before 3 and you woke up at 5 pm and then went back at 10 pm till 8 am. Taking a nap that close to bedtime is not good. You need a regimate. Same time to bed same time up as close as you can. So a nap can be taken very early in the day, it seems it was a good distance before settling down at 10... but keep this far before bed but don't bring it too close.. There's comfort issues too to keep in mind to get acclimated for a good nights rest. Pillow mattress mood before bed.... etc. Get used to a routine. Also eating habits.. nothing heavy before bed.

As far as you CPAP, that will be adjusted in time start pressure, humidifier, flex (exhale pressure) etc....

We'll guide you along. Almost forgot, get a chin strap. Sudafed will do a great deal for congestion. I only have to get up once to blow, and stay up for about 20 minutes to clear up and back in the sack. When back in bed try and relax and not think too much about what's going on with your circumstances. It took me 3 months to get going and drop my AHI.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat May 23, 2020 9:57 am

Sudafed is not a good idea for anything more than the occasional night - it can keep you awake and has other issues.

If you're using the humidifier thinking it's a mandatory part of therapy - it isn't, just a help for those who need it, and you might want to try either lowering the setting or not using it altogether for a couple of nights to see if the congestion gets better, especially if you live in an area with good humidity already, or one that's been humid lately due to weather, etc.

Have you tried any full face masks (while lying down - your face changes a lot then) to see if they help? Finding the 'right' one can take a little time, but may be worth it.

more02

Post by more02 » Sat May 23, 2020 10:01 am

I use sudafed 3 or 4 hours before bed every night for the past two weeks.... no issues. The main thing is not to take just before bed. ANd I take Melatonin too a sleep aid just before bed.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Sat May 23, 2020 11:27 am

more02 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:01 am
I use sudafed 3 or 4 hours before bed every night for the past two weeks.... no issues. The main thing is not to take just before bed. ANd I take Melatonin too a sleep aid just before bed.
More O2, I'm glad that Sudafed works for you, but its common side effects include these: nervousness, restlessness or excitability (especially in children), dizziness, headache, fear, anxiety, loss of appetite, sleep problems (insomnia). That's something that Gobucks will want to take into account.

Gobucks, for a stuffy nose, you might try over-the-counter Flonase, which can help to reduce swelling in the nose. It doesn't kick in right away, so try it for a couple of weeks before deciding whether it helps. Saline nasal sprays are also helpful for some people, as are rinses like the NeilMed rinses.

I see that your main type of event is hypopneas. They show some clustering, and an easy experiment to try would be using a soft cervical collar in case you are tucking you chin toward your chest during the night, which can slightly constrict the airway. The collar also might help you to keep your jaw up and your mouth closed.

Oh, and when you have a chance, could you fill out your profile with your machine and mask info? That way it's there whenever people are replying to your posts.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

more02

Post by more02 » Sat May 23, 2020 11:49 am

Miss whatever..... it's up to an ADULT to be able to try something OVER THE COUNTER to be able to be mature enough to know what they can take.

gobucks

Post by gobucks » Mon May 25, 2020 7:50 am

more02 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:21 am
you slept before 3 and you woke up at 5 pm and then went back at 10 pm till 8 am. Taking a nap that close to bedtime is not good. You need a regimate. Same time to bed same time up as close as you can. So a nap can be taken very early in the day, it seems it was a good distance before settling down at 10... but keep this far before bed but don't bring it too close.. There's comfort issues too to keep in mind to get acclimated for a good nights rest. Pillow mattress mood before bed.... etc. Get used to a routine. Also eating habits.. nothing heavy before bed.

As far as you CPAP, that will be adjusted in time start pressure, humidifier, flex (exhale pressure) etc....

We'll guide you along. Almost forgot, get a chin strap. Sudafed will do a great deal for congestion. I only have to get up once to blow, and stay up for about 20 minutes to clear up and back in the sack. When back in bed try and relax and not think too much about what's going on with your circumstances. It took me 3 months to get going and drop my AHI.
Ill definitely try to power through the need to nap during the day for sure.

Ill check out a chin strap as well. Might need to avoid sudafed before bed for me as it makes me a little wired.

gobucks

Post by gobucks » Mon May 25, 2020 7:52 am

Julie wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:57 am
Sudafed is not a good idea for anything more than the occasional night - it can keep you awake and has other issues.

If you're using the humidifier thinking it's a mandatory part of therapy - it isn't, just a help for those who need it, and you might want to try either lowering the setting or not using it altogether for a couple of nights to see if the congestion gets better, especially if you live in an area with good humidity already, or one that's been humid lately due to weather, etc.

Have you tried any full face masks (while lying down - your face changes a lot then) to see if they help? Finding the 'right' one can take a little time, but may be worth it.
I will try it without the humidifier for a few nights. Thanks for the suggestion.

I have not. I am supposed to get one from the supplier soon. I started with a nose mask. Hopefully I find something that works soon!

gobucks

Post by gobucks » Mon May 25, 2020 7:57 am

Miss Emerita wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:27 am
more02 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:01 am
More O2, I'm glad that Sudafed works for you, but its common side effects include these: nervousness, restlessness or excitability (especially in children), dizziness, headache, fear, anxiety, loss of appetite, sleep problems (insomnia). That's something that Gobucks will want to take into account.

Gobucks, for a stuffy nose, you might try over-the-counter Flonase, which can help to reduce swelling in the nose. It doesn't kick in right away, so try it for a couple of weeks before deciding whether it helps. Saline nasal sprays are also helpful for some people, as are rinses like the NeilMed rinses.

I see that your main type of event is hypopneas. They show some clustering, and an easy experiment to try would be using a soft cervical collar in case you are tucking you chin toward your chest during the night, which can slightly constrict the airway. The collar also might help you to keep your jaw up and your mouth closed.

Oh, and when you have a chance, could you fill out your profile with your machine and mask info? That way it's there whenever people are replying to your posts.
I already use flonase but I will add in a nasal rinse too and see if that helps.

Ill check out some collars. Ive seen some people use some pillow called the eliminator, is it basically the same principal as a collar?

Apologies about the profile! I tried adding my machine/mask to my posts but it must not have worked. I will try again! thanks!

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Mon May 25, 2020 10:26 am

The Eliminator is indeed a collar (don't know why they call it a pillow). It looks as though it's a lot like the old Dr. Dakota collar. I have one of those, and what I like about it is that I can adjust it so that it supports just the chin end of my lower jaw, without pressing up on the rest of my jaw. It's firmer than a soft cervical collar, but not in a way that I find uncomfortable. I'd say it's worth giving this a try.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon May 25, 2020 11:11 am

gobucks wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 7:57 am

Apologies about the profile! I tried adding my machine/mask to my posts but it must not have worked. I will try again! thanks!
no, you did it right. it's showing up now.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg