Sudden Mouth Breathing - No Problem for years

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
rapadron

Sudden Mouth Breathing - No Problem for years

Post by rapadron » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:34 pm

Hello all,
I'm posting to see if my situation is normal or something I need to look into.
Since diagnosed I've used the Dreamwear from philips. The regular mask with nasals (i've also tried the pillows, both work well) I haven't had any issues with it for years. But in the last month or so I've started to open my mouth during the night causing for dry mouth and annoying air sounds for my wife.
I will add, I'm in the process of getting new mask accessories since I haven't replaced mine for a little longer than usual. Normally I replace everything every 6 months. not this time. new mask and tubing are on their way.

My AHI is under control between 0.5-2.0 AHI. humidity is set at 3 (normally). I thought maybe it's too dry so I increased it to 5 but then had the issue of the tubing falling off the mask because it's too wet or moist at the connection point, also the tubing is loosing grip because it's old.

Is mouth breathing normal after years of nasal breathing with no problem? Should i be changing to a full mask? Any insight will help, maybe some else have had this issue before?

thank you...

LSAT

Re: Sudden Mouth Breathing - No Problem for years

Post by LSAT » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:37 pm

What mask are you using? Most have some sort of quick connect so you don't have to put the hose on and off every day.

rapadron

Post by rapadron » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:30 pm

Dreamwear

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:14 pm

Are you experiencing an increase in nasal congestion for some reason the might cause you to physically need to mouth breathe?
Ask the wife if she has noticed if you are on your back when the mouth breathing happens and you make awful noises and cause her to wake up.

If no real issues with nasal congestion have you considered doing what a lot of other people do to limit the mouth from falling open?
Chin straps, tape, cervical collar?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:23 am

On occasion, I will pick up habits that I have never done. I've never thought much about it...…. I just thought it was part of the program, and I thought it was normal. That's what makes me special!

Sheriff

rapadron

Post by rapadron » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:30 pm

Update:
I upgraded my tubing and mask+ gear. Ended trying the full dreamwear mask. Problem solved. It’s been really dry and with full mask haven’t had any issues.