OT: Can one get a kinin cough from cold med?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
kteague

OT: Can one get a kinin cough from cold med?

Post by kteague » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:15 am

Since you folks here hold a wealth of knowledge and experience, figured I stood a decent chance getting an answer here. Been living on OTC cough meds for a couple weeks. Couple nights ago took Coricidin HPB Max Strength Flu for the first time and within minutes went into intense coughing fits unlike any the last 2 weeks. Then I realized I had felt this long ago - the feeling of my right tonsil being tickled mercilessly by a dry feather. Same cough as when taking Lisinopril. Have not been willing to try another dose. Anybody else had this reaction or understand why? Hard for me to research on my phone. By the time I get it big enough to see it it's so disjointed trying to scroll around, and my laptop was a casualty of reaching for a glass of water during a coughing attack. Thanks for sny insights.

babydinosnoreless

Re: OT: Can one get a kinin cough from cold med?

Post by babydinosnoreless » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:46 am

kteague wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:15 am
Since you folks here hold a wealth of knowledge and experience, figured I stood a decent chance getting an answer here. Been living on OTC cough meds for a couple weeks. Couple nights ago took Coricidin HPB Max Strength Flu for the first time and within minutes went into intense coughing fits unlike any the last 2 weeks. Then I realized I had felt this long ago - the feeling of my right tonsil being tickled mercilessly by a dry feather. Same cough as when taking Lisinopril. Have not been willing to try another dose. Anybody else had this reaction or understand why? Hard for me to research on my phone. By the time I get it big enough to see it it's so disjointed trying to scroll around, and my laptop was a casualty of reaching for a glass of water during a coughing attack. Thanks for sny insights.
It sounds like an allergic reaction to me. My husband and kids have this issue with bananas.

zonker

Post by zonker » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:52 am

kteague wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:15 am
Since you folks here hold a wealth of knowledge and experience, figured I stood a decent chance getting an answer here.
yes, advice is quit spilling water on your laptop! :lol:

so i don't have experience with this. instead i took a quick look at drugs.com and webmd.com. neither of them list the side effect you are having. however, webmd goes further and says "This is not a complete list of possible side effects. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist."

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:30 pm

A year or so ago, I had bronchitis with a severe cough, which left me with extreme sensitivity
in my throat for several months. I found cough drops at Costco (Ricola sugar free lemon mint)
They worked a charm, and I keep some handy in case the tickles return.
If a doctor has not looked at the area lately, it might be a good idea.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:54 pm

First-generation antihistamines, such as chlorpheniramine, one of the primary ingredients in Coricidin HPB Max Strength Flu, can dry out the mouth and throat fairly quickly.

BTW, some consider sleep apnea to be a contraindication for such antihistamines, since they can seriously sedate. Newer ones ain't so bad.

Personally I have decided to go cold turkey on all antihistamines and corticosteroids this year and until COVID-19 issues calm down. Until more is understood, I don't want to be on anything that alters immune response, and I want all possible forms of emergency treatments to be as effective as possible if needed to curb a severe reaction to that virus. Just me. Many would consider that choice in my part to be an overreaction.

My hypertension med gives me a tickle and stab in the back of the throat occasionally. But I don't feel like switching meds. I like the one I'm on. So I just put up with it.

Hope you get it figured out, Kathy. I know you will.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:43 pm

You might also consider if you have had any new chemicals or anything that may be causing an allergic reaction. back in 2012, less than a month after stating cpap, I got a bad cough. My doctor changed my meds, still had a cough. I deep cleaned my machine, mask, hose; and I still had the cough. It went away after a couple weeks. Then cam back again a month later for a few weeks. A few weeks off and then 8 weeks of coughing. Then a break and more coughing. At that point, I returned from a cat show weekend, coughing yet again, and my dad commented that I keep coming home sick. I told him he was wrong and listed the shows I had gone to when I had not gotten sick. I suddenly realized that those shows were all shows where I had traveled with somebody else in their vehicle, and did not borrow my parents' van. Hmm. When did that bottle of fertilizer get spilled in the van? Two weeks before the first cough. My dad pulled out the seats and deep cleaned the van. Never got the cough again. It was the chemical spill in the van. The longer the trip, the worse my cough.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:42 pm

It certainly sounds like an allergic reaction. In addition to allergies, I also have asthma and do not dare go anywhere without my rescue inhaler. Two weeks ago we were in Texas visiting our daughter and her family. We went out for pizza one night. I took one bite of the pizza and had an immediate reaction similar to what you described, except it also included wheezing. That will be the last time I eat pizza at that place.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:22 pm

Oddball seasonings--somebody's family recipe.
Pizza is a minefield--too many secrets.
The local poison control center might know what you may have reacted to.
You might not have been the first.
Allergens can, or should, be regarded as poisons.