Anesthesia for CSA?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
shiawase

Anesthesia for CSA?

Post by shiawase » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:42 am

Hello..
Ive been trying to find info on precautions/safety measurements/management for CSA sufferer who has to get general anesthesia?
But i cant find it.

Most of i read here about OSA

Please could anyone help? :(

Anyone who has experience, knowledge in it.
Do i have to get drug or something to help? Also im afraid of the anesthesia drugs effect.
Im in a place where the doctor isnt really experience of i, so i have to find info Sad
I also have OSA but i think if they use breathing tube it will be ok??

Thank you for whoever help....

roadcycler

Re: Anesthesia for CSA?

Post by roadcycler » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:50 am

If they intubate you (put a tube down your throat) they will bypass the structures that cause apnea so no worries there. (Had open heart surgery before I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and am still here much to the changrin of my wife sometimes :lol: ) I would mention to the physician and surgeon that you do have a history of sleep apnea so that they are aware and can plan around it.

shiawase

Post by shiawase » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:05 am

roadcycler wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:50 am
If they intubate you (put a tube down your throat) they will bypass the structures that cause apnea so no worries there. (Had open heart surgery before I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and am still here much to the changrin of my wife sometimes :lol: ) I would mention to the physician and surgeon that you do have a history of sleep apnea so that they are aware and can plan around it.
Thanks for the reply
Isnt the tube only work for OSA? ( Help open airway)But in CSA no signal to take a breath then still oxygen cant get in?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:13 am

When you are intubated there is someone right there with you monitoring your breathing and will breathe for you if you don't breathe on your own. They will watch you very closely.
You should have a meeting with the person delivering the anesthesia prior to the surgery and at that time be sure to tell him/her about your sleep apnea issues and discuss your concerns with him/her at that time.
No big deal though. When you are intubated you have a machine right there that will breathe for you.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

shiawase

Post by shiawase » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:40 am

Pugsy wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:13 am
When you are intubated there is someone right there with you monitoring your breathing and will breathe for you if you don't breathe on your own. They will watch you very closely.
You should have a meeting with the person delivering the anesthesia prior to the surgery and at that time be sure to tell him/her about your sleep apnea issues and discuss your concerns with him/her at that time.
No big deal though. When you are intubated you have a machine right there that will breathe for you.
I see. Thank you for the info. I didnt know it can breath for me i thought it only push oxygen.
I thought have to use drug and read have to bring machine.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:49 am

They won't use your machine during surgery. There is no need because you will have a tube in your airway and the person monitoring your anesthesia will make sure you breathe. That's all that person does is watch your breathing and oxygen levels and all that stuff.

Now they might want to use your machine in the recovery room.

You really need to be talking to the person who is going to be delivering the anesthesia and monitoring you. Different hospitals or surgery centers might have different protocols when people have sleep apnea ...either central or obstructive.

And no...there is no special drug that I know of just for central apnea patients.
General anesthesia is where they put you under so deep that they have to intubate you and breathe for you while you are under.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

squid13

Post by squid13 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:10 am

I have had deep anesthesia 4 times in the last 6 years with no effects in my use of cpap. I've had a lot of surgeries in the last 15 years and I have had no bad side effects from any of them and maybe that is just me, if so I've been lucky. I've always had a joking time with the people in the OR before they put me to sleep, I usually say nite nite. A lot depends on you attitude.

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:19 pm

I was conscious ONCE while intubated.
Before every surgery now, I express my anxiety about that happening again.
No one has let that mishap repeat.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:16 pm

shiawase wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:42 am
Hello..
Ive been trying to find info on precautions/safety measurements/management for CSA sufferer who has to get general anesthesia?
But i cant find it.

Most of i read here about OSA

Please could anyone help? :(
Yes, your anesthesiologist can help you. We can't.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:18 pm

roadcycler wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:50 am
If they intubate you (put a tube down your throat) they will bypass the structures that cause apnea so no worries there.
That doesn't bypass anything that has to do with centrals, but since you're on a ventilator, it doesn't matter.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.