CPAP during MRI???

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
LSAT

Re: CPAP during MRI???

Post by LSAT » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:12 pm

Interesting...but this post is 6 years old

majordog9

Post by majordog9 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:54 pm

I have Apnea even if I am awake when I am lying on my back. So I use my CPAP during CAT scans or MRI scans. They questioned me at first and said no. However, I have two 10 foot long CPAP hoses connected together with an adapter that gives me a 20 foot hose. This way my machine can be outside the MRI room and I can just lie there on my back and breathe calmly. I have been able to do this five or six times. I am surprised that they don't have a CPAP machine built into the MRI machines, so all you have to do is hook on your hose and mask.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:59 pm

majordog9 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:54 pm
I have Apnea even if I am awake when I am lying on my back.
That sounds like Obesity Hypoventilation Syndrome???

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:50 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:59 pm
majordog9 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:54 pm
I have Apnea even if I am awake when I am lying on my back.
That sounds like Obesity Hypoventilation Syndrome???
Obese people need medical care too--and right away, not after weight loss.
Ever notice how now there are double-wide wheelchairs?
Medicine is not just for skinny people.
Wide people often need it more.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:05 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:50 pm
Obese people need medical care too--and right away, not after weight loss.
Ever notice how now there are double-wide wheelchairs?
Medicine is not just for skinny people.
Wide people often need it more.
What does that have to do with my question?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:18 pm

So, would using cpap help with Obesity Hypoventilation Syndrome?
Like it does with regular obstructive apnea?
Obviously the mechanics are not exactly the same.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:25 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:18 pm
Yes, CPAP is the standard treatment along with a weight loss program. Patients are warned to start CPAP immediately not waiting for weight loss.

About 90% of those with OHS are believed to also have sleep apnea.
Obesity hypoventilation syndrome (OHS; "pickwickian syndrome") exists when an obese individual (body mass index [BMI] >30kg/m2) has awake alveolar hypoventilation (arterial carbon dioxide tension [PaCO2] >45 mmHg) which cannot be attributed to other conditions (eg, neuromuscular disease).

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:08 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:18 pm
Like it does with regular obstructive apnea?
Obviously the mechanics are not exactly the same.
So, CPAP doesn't really help with OHS, but bilevel certainly can, (OHS is caused by the extra weight on a person's chest/abdomen making it more work for them to inhale, thus leading to shallow breathing, hypercapnia, hypoxia, etc).

There are suggested settings on bilevel machines, basically a LOT of PS (iirc one of the suggestions is starting with a PS of 8 and then adjusting), but that extra pressure makes it much easier for people with OHV to breathe.

Saw this not long ago:
https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/91 ... 5282&faf=1

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

crab-legs

Post by crab-legs » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:13 pm

Janknitz wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:38 pm
I have an MRI scheduled for next week, and I'm thinking up all sorts of things to feel anxious about. I'll be taking an Ativan to help me relax since I'm a little (spell that a LOT) claustrophobic. I'm hoping I'll actually fall asleep during it (somehow!), but then I worry about apnea and snoring, especially since I'll be on my back about 3 1/2 hours (brain and heart scans).
If you can, go to an open MRI facility, so there is no bore you have to slide into.

roadcycler

Post by roadcycler » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:29 am

With an MRI you do have to be worried about any metal that can be magnetized. So that would be in iron category. Dental fillings are not magnetic. A lot of glasses are made of titanium, aluminum alloy or other non ferrous metals. There could be parts in the xpap machine that could be affected, personally I would be more worried about the electronics being affected ( computer chips, memory chips etc. ) They will have earphones on you as the older machines are very noisy, so doubtful that you will be able to sleep ( even louder that a buzz saw snore ) Wish you luck

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:48 am

To follow up on roadcycler's comment, although you might be able to park the machine itself outside the MRI room, you would need to be sure there were no ferrous metals in anything inside the room, i.e., your hose and mask.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

remstarcpap

Post by remstarcpap » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:31 am

Janknitz wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:38 pm
I have an MRI scheduled for next week, and I'm thinking up all sorts of things to feel anxious about. I'll be taking an Ativan to help me relax since I'm a little (spell that a LOT) claustrophobic. I'm hoping I'll actually fall asleep during it (somehow!), but then I worry about apnea and snoring, especially since I'll be on my back about 3 1/2 hours (brain and heart scans).

Is there any chance CPAP can be used during the MRI (I'm guess NOT and I'm too embarassed to ask my doctor or the MRI people because it's probably an incredibly dumb question)? I think it would make me a little more comfortable if I could somehow use the cpap, so at least I'd know I'm not suffocating because of the comfort of the airflow.

Any tips for getting through the MRI are appreciated.

BTW, I'm fine. I have a congenital heart condition, and apparently this is the new-fangled way to image the heart for aging congenital patients. Because my heart condition involved blood vessels too, they have to go looking for stuff in the brain as well. Seems like a whole lot of trouble for nothing, since my condition has been quite stable since I had surgery in 1968.
Am I missing something, but since this was originally posted in 2012, are we all thinking that somehow our helpful comments will go back in time to help this person? I mean, we are a helpful bunch, but as far as I know, we don't have a time machine.

Any time I've had an MRI I just listen to a lot of steel drum music before, and those rhythms keep going in the MRI. I also meditate to the rhythms of the magnets.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:52 pm

remstarcpap wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:31 am
Am I missing something, but since this was originally posted in 2012, are we all thinking that somehow our helpful comments will go back in time to help this person?
What you are missing is that the post was resurrected by a drive-by newbie in February 2019 and by another newbie in February 2020. (It remains to be seen whether the second newbie is a drive-by.)

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:13 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:52 pm
remstarcpap wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:31 am
Am I missing something, but since this was originally posted in 2012, are we all thinking that somehow our helpful comments will go back in time to help this person?
What you are missing is that the post was resurrected by a drive-by newbie in February 2019 and by another newbie in February 2020. (It remains to be seen whether the second newbie is a drive-by.)
Might as well call a troll a troll.

If they post some crap and never come back... *shrugs*

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.