Can I use my cpap to test a stubborn wife

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
RLMMG

Can I use my cpap to test a stubborn wife

Post by RLMMG » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:58 am

I am concerned that my wife may have sleep apnea too. She refuses to go to the doctor or get a sleep study but was willing to use my machine for the night. I was wondering if I lower the setting and use oscar if that might be possible. If so what setting would you use.

Thanks

Dog Slobber

Re: Can I use my cpap to test a stubborn wife

Post by Dog Slobber » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:02 am

I used my spare AutoSet to diagnose and treat my Sister-in-Law's sleep apnea. You can read about it here:

viewtopic/t176658/Sister-in-Laws-Therap ... A#p1318022

One thing to be careful about, these are therapy machines, not diagnostic machines. If we see events and other indicators (snores and flow limitations), this suggests apnea. But not seeing them, doesn't mean they don't have apnea, even on low pressures they are being treated.

RLMMG

Post by RLMMG » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:42 am

Dog Slobber wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:02 am
I used my spare AutoSet to diagnose and treat my Sister-in-Law's sleep apnea. You can read about it here:

viewtopic/t176658/Sister-in-Laws-Therap ... A#p1318022

One thing to be careful about, these are therapy machines, not diagnostic machines. If we see events and other indicators (snores and flow limitations), this suggests apnea. But not seeing them, doesn't mean they don't have apnea, even on low pressures they are being treated.
I truly enjoyed reading about your SIL. You were able to help her and get her treatment months before she was able to see a DR. Of course I am not going to leave it at my settings but if it shows something at a low rate it will confirm my fears for my wife than she will have something more to consider. Both her brother and Sister has sleep apnea

bwexler

Post by bwexler » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:03 am

Be careful of too low a setting.
Many people feel they are suffocating at pressures around 4 or 5.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:53 pm

When my wife refused to have a sleep test, I simply told our doctor that she was snoring and would stop breathing while sleeping. The doctor scheduled her for a sleep test. My wife was upset with me for a while, but she soon got over it once she started treatment and saw how much better she felt.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:19 pm

Okie bipap wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:53 pm
When my wife refused to have a sleep test, I simply told our doctor that she was snoring and would stop breathing while sleeping. The doctor scheduled her for a sleep test. My wife was upset with me for a while, but she soon got over it once she started treatment and saw how much better she felt.
My husband did that to me. Which is why I have a machine but he refuses to get tested himself. :(

kschang

Post by kschang » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:21 pm

I'm new here, but let me just say that my CPAP saved my life. Before then I was dozing off during drive or barely staying awake. Got into two fender benders in stop-and-go traffic. This was... more than 10 years ago.

But I had to go to a sleep clinic to get the results. I still have the self portrait somewhere in my archives, me hooked up to all the tubes and the nose-mask. It was at the old Cathedral Hotel in San Francisco, what is now the new CPMC campus.

I may get tired a bit after a long day, but who doesn't? But I've never gotten into one accident since (except once when I misjudged the size of the vehicle, new job driving a cargo van)

Get her tested. It's better for you and for her, even if you have to guilt-trip her into it.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:37 pm

babydinosnoreless wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:19 pm
My husband did that to me. Which is why I have a machine but he refuses to get tested himself.
By the time I had ratted her out, I had been on my machine almost two years. When I had knee surgery, the doctor that did the morning rounds scheduled me for a sleep test without discussing it with me. I found out about it when I got a letter from the sleep lab. Since the doctor did not document a face to face meeting prior to scheduling the sleep test, Medicare would not approve the machine, and I had to go all of the testing a second time. This time, I chose the sleep lab the test was done in. I am almost five years into treatment and my wife will be three years next month.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.