F30 - sizing, other questions

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
BasketballDunk

F30 - sizing, other questions

Post by BasketballDunk » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:18 pm

Excellent information on this board!

Wife wanting to try the F30 mask and we measured her face today using the printable template. The outside edges of her nose are like 1/16" of an inch over the line between small/medium on the sizing chart. How big/small does that mask run for users compared to the template? I have never thought of her having a particularly wide nose at all, but the Resmed site says go up a size if it measures on the line. What size should she order?

For reference: she wears a small in the Amara View. She loves the open design but leaked a bit for her at high pressures. On the AirTouch F20, she likes performance at higher pressures and the light weight/comfort of the foam (never leaks and seems to stay put on her side or back)...but she is in between sizes kinda and the F20 cushions seem a little expensive compared to the Amara View. The small in the F20 is like barely too small for her face and squishes the top of her nose, but on the other hand, the medium sticks up so high on her face that it makes it tough for her to read at night for a few minutes while we nod off to sleep--hence her wanting to try the F30.

Thanks for any direction you can provide :D

zonker

Re: F30 - sizing, other questions

Post by zonker » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:39 am

haven't a clue. so i'm responding so your post will go higher up the list.

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Chris8243

Post by Chris8243 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:01 pm

zonker wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:39 am
haven't a clue. so i'm responding so your post will go higher up the list.

good luck!
You're a good man, Zonker, no matter what they say.

I've used all the masks you mentioned that your wife has tried, and with the same sizing dilemma. Size small is just a little too small. Amara View medium fit well and I used it for a long time until I started getting too many leaks. Size Medium in the ResMed F-20 and F-30 are too big for me to put my glasses on (to read or watch tv) but the size Small is too small to fit properly, so I go with size Medium and don't put glasses on. Currently (maybe 4 months) I use the AirTouch.

That is my experience. The only good way to determine fit is to try them on. Isn't CPAP fun?

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:54 pm

Chris8243 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:01 pm
What DO they say????

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

djams

Post by djams » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:57 pm

Cpap.com (sponsor of this forum) offers 30 day mask insurance. If you pick the wrong size, you can send it back and try the other.

I'd recommend calling them. They will likely make a recommendation based on the situation described.

zonker

Post by zonker » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:05 pm

Chris8243 wrote:

HelplessGoodnaturedGodwit-max-1mb.gif
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

zonker

Post by zonker » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:07 pm

palerider wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:54 pm
Chris8243 wrote:
What DO they say????

closemouth.jpg
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

jsmit86

Post by jsmit86 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:42 am

No way to tell you for sure, but the F30 tends to run a bit large compared to other Resmed masks. I use a Medium in the F20 Series, but for the F30, I had to use small.
My Med Supply/DME told me that they usually do a small for most people who generally use a medium. There is no large in the F30 series, so medium is the max.

The F30 is a pretty cool mask. Unfortunately, I side sleep, so I often knock it out of alignment and have larger than normal leaks. I do like the fact that I can wear glasses with it, and it's easier to watch TV with the F30.

Resmed Airsense 11 Autoset - Former Airsense 10 Autoset
Resmed Airtouch F20 Foam Mask
Travel unit HDM Z2 Auto

BasketballDunk

Post by BasketballDunk » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:35 pm

Thanks all.
I ordered her the medium but I think its a 50-50 chance of being right.

Dumb question though...how would we know if that size is too big? Would the nostril holes in the mask leak around the outside of her nostrils? Like the cutouts wouldn't be totally covered by her nose since this mask is based on width?

Or if it fits and doesn't leak...it's the right size?

gv280z

Post by gv280z » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:11 pm

Yeah if it's comfortable and doesn't leak, and you can see good results from the machine in the morning, then that would be a win in my book. It's kinda hard to judge based on the Amara View anyway because that is kinda a finicky mask. I appreciate the Hell out of it for rescuing me from the F20, *BUT* the area of contact, cushion to face ratio is really narrow, so even with me, I always felt like I couldn't let my mouth relax or if I just barely moved my mouth from side to side, it would immediately leak at the corners. That was with a medium, so I tried a large and that didn't work very well either. The medium was the right size for me, just wasn't a great fit. I switched over to both the F30 in medium and that's all I needed. The F30 has a nice larger surface area and makes a better seal. If she was using a small in the 'View, then the medium F30 might be a smidge big.

If she likes the F30, don't get rid of the Amara View headgear, eventually after the F30 headgear starts getting broken in, the straps will start to rub against the tops of her ears until shes tightening the crown strap(in an attempt to raise the side straps up) so much it's painful on top of the head. The 'View headgear works great with the F30 mask, I replace mine about every 6 months, it's much more comfortable.
Yay :D For no more diaphragm cramps and dozing off while driving! :lol:

BasketballDunk

Post by BasketballDunk » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:07 pm

Appreciate all the great info. Good to know we aren't the only ones still trying to figure all this out about mask comfort, leaks, machine settings, etc.

To be safe, I ordered a small cushion as well tonight. That way she can compare side by side and I will know what to order next time.

One last question: the F30 comes with the same elbow/vent as the revised F20 elbow, right? The original F20 elbow wasn't too loud or strong but the revised one is practically silent most nights.

gv280z

Post by gv280z » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:55 pm

I do not know if the F20 / F30 elbow and diffuser are identical, probably a good bet that they are, I'm not sure of the interchange-ality between the two frames. However, I can tell you the elbow with the F30 is silent and doesn't blow down on you in an annoying manner either.
Yay :D For no more diaphragm cramps and dozing off while driving! :lol:

bristolman

Post by bristolman » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:21 pm

the f20 and f30 both use the same elbow .
mike

bwexler

Post by bwexler » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:32 pm

I got my F30 last night.
It took some adjusting just to get it on and more to get semi comfortable.
There were times I could hear every exhale.
But an AHI of 0.2 the first night, suggests it might be worth working through any bugs.

droo_d

Post by droo_d » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:39 pm

Following this as well.

Got my F30 mask 2 nights ago and the main leaks would be minor leaks for the nostril sometimes so I want to double check a few more nights before thinking about exchanging it for a Small. I have to secure the straps somewhat fairly tight to get the nose higher up to prevent leaks.