dreamwear --nasal or pillow

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Pugsy

Re: dreamwear --nasal or pillow

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:09 am

Grace~~~ wrote:Wishful thinking on my part, Pugsy?
Probably but it never hurts to wish or hope or try....just in case.
If we don't ask...the answer is always "no"
If we don't try...the result is always "no change"

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:39 am

To clarify my "issues" with the mask, I should point out that I love my pillows 98 percent and love DreamWear 97.5 percent and believe there is not (yet) a "perfect" mask for me. And if I'd started with the DreamWear and later came to pillows, maybe the DreamWear wouldhave be the one at 98 percent for me. Irritations with both are minor for me compared to most other masks.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

starrynight40

Post by starrynight40 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:08 pm

I'm late to the party, but I feel like the Dreamwear has very poor air flow for some reason. I get crazy low leak rates and it feels good, just doesn't let me breathe as well for some reason. I've read reviews that said something similar. Not sure why it restricts air flow compared to other masks.

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:33 pm

The n-20 nasal mask says to use the pillow setting on your machine. I have tried it with both and don't see any difference. I've just left it on pillows when I've used the dream wear (my backup). I don't notice a issue.

Guiniviere

Post by Guiniviere » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:36 am

I just came across this thread this morning and I am so glad I did as it has resolved 2 issues for me. I was wearing the Respironics Dreamwear mask with under-the-nose cushion but changed to the Resmed N30i just last week because it looked as though it was rigid at the top/elbow joint so might be a bit more stable whereas I was getting a lot of leaks there at the elbow joint on the Dreamwear.

Issue 1: I had not thought to change the setting in the machine for which type of mask, and was reminded of that somewhere in this thread;

Issue 2: The elbow joint on my Dreamwear did not swivel as did the joint on the N30i and that seemed to me to be a reason I was getting so much leakage. When I checked, the elbow joint was pressed too far into the hole - my error. You cannot do that with the N30i because the elbow joint clips into the hole.

Now, I am not sure which mask I prefer - not much in it.

So, thank you all you cpaptalkers for helping put things to rights

realshelby

Post by realshelby » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:57 am

starrynight40 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:08 pm
I'm late to the party, but I feel like the Dreamwear has very poor air flow for some reason. I get crazy low leak rates and it feels good, just doesn't let me breathe as well for some reason. I've read reviews that said something similar. Not sure why it restricts air flow compared to other masks.
One thing comes to mind. I have used the Dreamwear nasal cushion extensively. Try using one size larger nose cushion! That makes a huge difference in airflow. I found that it also helped when you sleep on your side....and the pressure of the pillow against the mask tends to scoot it slightly to one side. The larger version has a large enough opening that you still get good air flow.

I could never get used to the Dreamwear nasal pillows version. Made my nose sore no matter what. But the nasal cushions version remains the most comfortable mask I have ever worn. If not for the vent in the cushion and the occasional leak when you push it to one side I might still use it most of the time. The ResMed P30i is virtually silent and you cannot feel the air venting from the cushion. It seals as well as a P10. That equals less sleep interruption for me.
Min 7 Max 20 (cmH2O)

Guiniviere

Post by Guiniviere » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:43 pm

Issue 1: I had not thought to change the setting in the machine for which type of mask, and was reminded of that somewhere in this thread;

Oh dear, that did not quite work: the only mask type setting on the Dreamstation is for a Respironics mask and it is set 1 through 5. My under-the-nose was 1 setting. For the Resmed N30i, the setting is: "Pillows" and there is nothing there for that. Should I leave the setting on 1 or turn it off, I wonder?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:00 pm

Guiniviere wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:43 pm
Oh dear, that did not quite work: the only mask type setting on the Dreamstation is for a Respironics mask and it is set 1 through 5. My under-the-nose was 1 setting. For the Resmed N30i, the setting is: "Pillows" and there is nothing there for that. Should I leave the setting on 1 or turn it off, I wonder?
Respironics machines don't have the same sort of mask settings available that ResMed machines have.
Only Respironics masks have a mask resistance setting available and they don't ever provide a setting for the other mask brands.
Respironics tells us just to turn it to 0 which effectively turning that setting off.
It's not a critical issue whether you turn it off or have it set on one or whatever. You likely won't be able to see or feel any difference at all. I didn't when I tested that feature on my Respironics machine and ResMed nasal pillows and I ran the whole gamut of settings...0 to the highest available. Nothing ever changed that I could tell.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Guiniviere

Post by Guiniviere » Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:21 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:00 pm
Guiniviere wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:43 pm
Respironics machines don't have the same sort of mask settings available that ResMed machines have.
Only Respironics masks have a mask resistance setting available and they don't ever provide a setting for the other mask brands.
Respironics tells us just to turn it to 0 which effectively turning that setting off.
It's not a critical issue whether you turn it off or have it set on one or whatever. You likely won't be able to see or feel any difference at all. I didn't when I tested that feature on my Respironics machine and ResMed nasal pillows and I ran the whole gamut of settings...0 to the highest available. Nothing ever changed that I could tell.
Thank you for your response and advice, Pugsy. It is comforting to know you think it made no noticeable difference. I shall leave it "Off". If it's good enough for you, it's good enough for the novice that I am...

Mr Nosey

Post by Mr Nosey » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:21 am

I have been using the Resmed N30 (similar to the Dreamwear nasal mask) with my Resmed Airsense 10 AUTO set for pillows or nasal...have not noticed a difference re air flow or leak rate.
Must say that I'm very impressed with the new nasal mask designs where the mask does not touch the bridge of the nose (broke my nose twice and the bridge is very sensitive). Had been a pillow user for +15 years...very cool to have the option of a nasal mask or a FF mask that does not touch the nose bridge (recently also bought a Dreamwear FF mask for when my nose is stuffed).

The N30 is easily one of the best masks I've used to date. Love how the tech is evolving. The only issue is that when the room is cold, it can take me some time to get acclimated to the cold air enveloping my nose (a different feel than when cold air is being delivered via a pillow mask).