Hypopneas, oxygen depletion & REM sleep

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Guiniviere

Hypopneas, oxygen depletion & REM sleep

Post by Guiniviere » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:57 pm

According to OSCAR I am having mostly hypopneas and RERAS. Does one still suffer oxygen depletion with these events or only with actual apneas?
And if they occur during REM sleep is one going to feel lethargic during the following days, as uninterrupted REM sleep seems to be the most important for one's wellbeing?

My AHIs are in the 0.5 to 2 range. I have cleared up my snoring with a Releaf collar and just about cleared up sinu/nasal congestion with Xlear (mornings) and Flonase sensimist (bedtime).

I am thinking of trying Android as Sleep with the Digital Wrist Pulse StressLocator oximeter. Would be interested to hear experiences of and opinions about...

palerider

Re: Hypopneas, oxygen depletion & REM sleep

Post by palerider » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:09 pm

Guiniviere wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:57 pm
According to OSCAR I am having mostly hypopneas and RERAS. Does one still suffer oxygen depletion with these events or only with actual apneas?
One can, only way to know how YOU are going to react is to measure.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

raisedfist

Post by raisedfist » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:16 am

Hypopnea is abnormally slow or shallow breathing, so yes those events could indeed result in oxygen desaturations and/or disturbances in sleep. You need a recording pulse oximeter to wear while you sleep.

PS Min 6, PS Max 18, EPAP Min 4, EPAP Max 12

Guiniviere

Post by Guiniviere » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:50 pm

Thank you pale rider and raisedfist.
Problem is which oximeter will do the job.
I had a go with Sleep as Android last night, though without the oximeter. Seemed rather complicated and it didn't work after I thought I had got it set.
Would very much appreciate some advice on an oximeter - preferably one that won't necessitate taking out a bank loan to pay for!
The one that seems to be the most mentioned and is compatible with OSCAR does not get very good product reviews.