Has anybody ever used the AC power on a aircraft to run a CPAP?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chunkyfrog

Re: Has anybody ever used the AC power on a aircraft to run a CPAP?

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:06 pm

billbolton wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:33 pm
Resmed devices have been rated for 400Hz mains power operation as long as I have been using them (from the S7).

The other thing to be aware of is that at-seat power is optional, and there is never any guarantee that it will actually work at any given seat on any given flight.

Lack of at-seat power is not regarded by airlines/regulators as an air-safety issue, so aircraft do fly without at-seat power being available on some seats :idea:
I guess the only way you can be assured is your own plane or a ruthlessly negotiated charter.

Bookbear

Post by Bookbear » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:34 pm

I personally have not used my apap on a plane, but I have a very good friend who flies monthly for business (domestic and overseas). The overseas flights are all over-nighters, and he has used his ResMed AirSense 10 Auto successfully on these flights. I believe he turns off the heated hose and humidifier (emptied). As mentioned elsewhere, there is no guarantee that the plane will have power at the seats, or if it does, that the individual outlet will be working.

rcobourn

Post by rcobourn » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:57 pm

I probably should have mentioned, if you are traveling enough to justify the expense, an Air Mini and a portable battery is definitely the way to go. Use the humidx+ inserts for air travel, the air in the plane is very dry. In fact, use the Air Mini with humidx+ the night before your travel, to prime it in reasonable conditions, and you should be comfortable on the plane. The battery below can run the Air-Mini for about 2 nights:

Pilot-24 Lite CPAP Battery/Backup... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KLS6RC2?re ... b_ap_share

This is about a $1500 option all in.

bierhere

Post by bierhere » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:22 pm

I’ve used my CPAP on many flights. On BA 747 I keep blowing the breaker had no issues on BA 777. On a recent AirFrance flight they kept cycling the power trying to get the entertainment system working. I now always bring a lithium battery pack for my AirMini. It makes sure I have power even if there is an issue with the planes power.

Holden4th

Post by Holden4th » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:06 am

I recently flew from Australia to the UK for a two month holiday. I informed the airline (Qantas) before flying and they asked me to fill out some basic details online. What they really wanted to know was the machine brand and model. I had booked a particular seat in business class and they said that while it should be OK, it might not provide the power. Did I want to change to other seats in the business cabin that definitely would? I said that I would take the chance that seat 7K on the 787 Dreamliner would do the job. It did. My machine, a Resmed Vauto worked perfectly.

So, before you book an overnighter, make sure you contact the airline. Some will not let you use their power supply (Emirates) and suggest you bring a battery. Most will.

billbolton

Post by billbolton » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:54 pm

Holden4th wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:06 am
I had booked a particular seat in business class and they said that while it should be OK, it might not provide the power. Did I want to change to other seats in the business cabin that definitely would?
QANTAS is without a doubt the easiest airline to deal with over use of xPAP in flight.

At-seat power is delivered buy an under seat power supply that usually supplies two or three seats. These have a finite capacity and can be overloaded if all the passengers connected to that power supply attempt to draw maximum power from it. This is basically why availability of at-seat power cannot be depended upon on any airline.

QANTAS also provides a small number of seats with access to aircraft power through a different outlet from the at-seat power. Aircraft power is highly reliable. Once QANTAS knows you intend to use a mains powered medical-device in flight they will offer you an aircraft power seat if one is available.

The aircraft power seats are necessarily immediately adjacent to the fuselage, so may not always be the otherwise most desirable seats, and will also probably rule out any possibility of a QFF points upgrade, but at least they try to give you a choice of risking it with at-seat power and having a free choice of seat/upgrade or having reliable medical-device power available.

Holden4th

Post by Holden4th » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:00 am

billbolton wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:54 pm
Holden4th wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:06 am
I had booked a particular seat in business class and they said that while it should be OK, it might not provide the power. Did I want to change to other seats in the business cabin that definitely would?
QANTAS is without a doubt the easiest airline to deal with over use of xPAP in flight.

At-seat power is delivered buy an under seat power supply that usually supplies two or three seats. These have a finite capacity and can be overloaded if all the passengers connected to that power supply attempt to draw maximum power from it. This is basically why availability of at-seat power cannot be depended upon on any airline.

QANTAS also provides a small number of seats with access to aircraft power through a different outlet from the at-seat power. Aircraft power is highly reliable. Once QANTAS knows you intend to use a mains powered medical-device in flight they will offer you an aircraft power seat if one is available.

The aircraft power seats are necessarily immediately adjacent to the fuselage, so may not always be the otherwise most desirable seats, and will also probably rule out any possibility of a QFF points upgrade, but at least they try to give you a choice of risking it with at-seat power and having a free choice of seat/upgrade or having reliable medical-device power available.
Thank you, that is useful information. The seat they wanted me to use was a bulkhead seat in the first row and as there was already a passenger in that seat I didn't want to disturb them. Fortunately, most xPAPs without the use of humidifier draw less power than the average laptop. I got a plane power seat on the return journey.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:46 am

Holden4th wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:00 am
... I got a plane power seat on the return journey.
ChicagoGranny should be along any moment to supply a related GIF

beautifuldreamer

Post by beautifuldreamer » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:09 pm

I have used my ASV on international flights - and I found that the power was in and out, so sometimes it would turn off and then go back on from time to time.
Machine: ResMed AirSense 11 Autoset
Mask: Bleep

Holden4th

Post by Holden4th » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:44 am

Dog Slobber wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:46 am
Holden4th wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:00 am
... I got a plane power seat on the return journey.
ChicagoGranny should be along any moment to supply a related GIF
I'm looking forward to that. :D

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:20 am

What I have not heard is that anybody damaged anything trying to use aircraft power.

The worst I heard was that it didn't work.

This is fairly good news as it does not appear likely that the equipment would be damaged from the attempt (which was the thing I really worried about).

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:56 am

Looks like it isn't much of a issue, imagine that, seems most people that care ask the airline as they are most likely to know. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:37 am

Goofproof wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:56 am
Looks like it isn't much of a issue, imagine that, seems most people that care ask the airline as they are most likely to know. Jim
Of course, I'll ask the airlines. It's more like I don't trust their answer 100%. If somebody had a bad experience (meaning damage) I would have wanted to know about it.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:16 am

Lack of communication within airlines can be responsible for completely different
responses from different people, at different times.
Consistency is NOT their priority.
If you expect to sleep, bring your own power.
Working on aircraft can be an unrewarding, stressful job.
Sometimes the only joy is in schadenfreude.

bierhere

Post by bierhere » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:28 pm

Air France requires medical approval. I've done it twice with quick emails. Air France does require battery packs, will not promise power and doesn't recommend using it. Delta requires no approval but has a list of approved CPAP machines. On Delta, I've never been hassled using it in Business or Economy. Lufthansa had no issues. BA also requires no approval, but I have had some flight attendants think it was oxygen and start to lecture me.

On my last trip to India, I carried my AirMini on the flight but packed in my checked bag my AirSense 10. I typically go to India for 10 days and wanted the humidifier. The checked bag was delayed and that did become an issue that required some discussions with India customs to make sure I wouldn't have to go back to the airport for the bag. Also, it appears they tagged the item to make sure I would take it back home, so my bag had to be x-rayed to confirm the presence of the CPAP machine before I could go to the gate on the way out of the country.