Why Didn't I get a ResMed for Her?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ragtopcircus

Re: Why Didn't I get a ResMed for Her?

Post by ragtopcircus » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:08 am

The sleep lab / DME that my doc works with uses Respironics exclusively, except they prefer Resmed masks.

I strongly suspect that this is because Respironics is easier to work with FOR THEM. Dreammapper does not require the expense of cellular, and gives THEM (not patients) access to the same sort of breath-by-breath data that Oscar gives us (per the RT). Respironics seems to view automatic operation as auto-TITRATION only. Again, this makes life easy. It is also consistent with their titration guide.

Keep in mind that docs consider apnea controlled if AHI is under 5.

I also suspect that Respironics limited auto performance is why my doc doesn’t like auto.

I get better results with Resmed. My diagnosis is severe obstructive apnea. Really, I’m simple because I tolerate pressure well, but then there’s those pesky sinuses .... The terminology is different, but I'm effectively running pressure of 14+ with EPR 4. EPR 3 was still a big upgrade from Flex.

Kim’s diagnosis is UARS, though she clearly has OA also. She struggles with aerophagia. Although her apnea is much milder than mine, the Respironics approach was not working for her. Flex was inadequate for her UARS, and the pressure she needs for apnea/hypopnea is above what she can tolerate as quasi-fixed pressure. It took me one night (tweaking once halfway through) to get her comfortable with the Resmed and sleeping better.

Resmed does have a few flaws too, but overall, I think they work better for the PATIENT.

Last edited by ragtopcircus on Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

ragtopcircus

Post by ragtopcircus » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:11 am

Guiniviere wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:39 am

] but now I have become aware that ResMed has a model exclusively for women! I'm kind of wondering why they didn't give me that model since I am clearly a female.

My sentiments exactly!

I was on the Respironics Dreamstation and doing alright, I thought, when I became aware of this ''for Her'. I pestered the life out of the DME until I got one, and only 2 nights later begged for my Dreamstation back.

I don't know why but the 'for Her' just seemed to blast air into my nose (and out through my mouth even though I was wearing a collar to keep my mouth closed/stop me snoring!)) and the Dreamstation literally seems to do it in a much more gentle way at the same pressures. I did post about it but did not get an explanation as to why it felt so different

But you were already on a ResMed so perhaps you have got used to it, as, from what I glean, the 'for Her' difference is not that much anyway...<br/>

Be interesting to hear your thoughts on the difference...
You didn’t really give anyone a chance to help you before switching back. Any machine set up wrong for you is going to suck (errr, I mean blow ...).

zonker

Post by zonker » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:07 am

katebrownell86 wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:37 am
Is ResMed applicable for low sleep apnea?
kate could you please start your own thread so that people can answer your questions without disrupting others? thank you.

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:33 am

suzeecat wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:42 am
Why Didn't I get a ResMed for Her?
Because references to gender are now forbidden in the United States of the Offended?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:34 am

When the "for her" became available, my DME had none in stock.
They tried to make me settle for the regular Autoset--but I said I could wait.
They ordered it, but it took a couple of months, and I was a very good sport.
It pays to have a backup--never be desperate--they can smell fear.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:44 am

chunkyfrog wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:34 am
they can smell fear
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:29 pm

I have the autoset, not the "for her" model and it's perfectly fine. It works great for most people, some do benefit from the for her algorithm, but not everybody needs it.

Sounds more like you want the "latest and greatest" than any particular concern about your treatment. It is hard to swap machines so it does make sense to have requested the for "for her" in the first place just in case (though you wouldn't have known to), but the DME is almost never going to provide that model unless your doctor is savvy enough to think you might benefit from the different algorithm and write the prescription for it.

Now, if you want to swap for whatever reason, your DME will really balk, because the DME isn't going to want to take back a used machine and give you a brand new, slightly more expensive model. The DME is going to tell you all sorts of lies--"your insurance won't cover it"--yes, they will, it's the SAME exact billing code, "your doctor has to order it"--not really, it requires no special prescription. "We don't carry it"--it's easy enough to order it. Etc. You have to decide if you really want to fight this battle. Why bother if the regular autoset does the job???

The other option is to buy your own, used or new, out of pocket, your expense. If you can afford that and really, really want to, go for it.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Guiniviere

Post by Guiniviere » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:52 am

ragtopcircus wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:11 am
Guiniviere wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:39 am

] but now I have become aware that ResMed has a model exclusively for women! I'm kind of wondering why they didn't give me that model since I am clearly a female.

My sentiments exactly!

I was on the Respironics Dreamstation and doing alright, I thought, when I became aware of this ''for Her'. I pestered the life out of the DME until I got one, and only 2 nights later begged for my Dreamstation back.

I don't know why but the 'for Her' just seemed to blast air into my nose (and out through my mouth even though I was wearing a collar to keep my mouth closed/stop me snoring!)) and the Dreamstation literally seems to do it in a much more gentle way at the same pressures. I did post about it but did not get an explanation as to why it felt so different

But you were already on a ResMed so perhaps you have got used to it, as, from what I glean, the 'for Her' difference is not that much anyway...<br/>

Be interesting to hear your thoughts on the difference...
You didn’t really give anyone a chance to help you before switching back. Any machine set up wrong for you is going to suck (errr, I mean blow ...).
And I do regret that but under the circumstances I really couldn't refuse the DME offer to have the Dreamstation back. I was a bit afraid of the ResMed and I was not yet into OSCAR so was unable to post the graph info you all needed in order for you to help me adjust to the ResMed.

suzeecat

Post by suzeecat » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:48 am

Janknitz wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:29 pm
I have the autoset, not the "for her" model and it's perfectly fine. It works great for most people, some do benefit from the for her algorithm, but not everybody needs it.

Sounds more like you want the "latest and greatest" than any particular concern about your treatment. It is hard to swap machines so it does make sense to have requested the for "for her" in the first place just in case (though you wouldn't have known to), but the DME is almost never going to provide that model unless your doctor is savvy enough to think you might benefit from the different algorithm and write the prescription for it.

Now, if you want to swap for whatever reason, your DME will really balk, because the DME isn't going to want to take back a used machine and give you a brand new, slightly more expensive model. The DME is going to tell you all sorts of lies--"your insurance won't cover it"--yes, they will, it's the SAME exact billing code, "your doctor has to order it"--not really, it requires no special prescription. "We don't carry it"--it's easy enough to order it. Etc. You have to decide if you really want to fight this battle. Why bother if the regular autoset does the job???

The other option is to buy your own, used or new, out of pocket, your expense. If you can afford that and really, really want to, go for it.
Not so much wanting the latest and greatest for no reason, but exactly, I want the latest and greatest FOR ME, A WOMAN - who wouldn't? I'm adjusting to the NOT FOR HER model OK, and I certainly do want to pick my battles with the DME, and with the feedback I am receiving here, I will let it go and carry on. I was mostly looking for further understanding as to what the difference is.

It's interesting, when joining a new group/forum like this, it takes a little while to get the "feel" for the overall personality and I'm sensing a lot of sarcastic snark - not a bad thing, but good for me to note. Gonna be sure I have my big girl panties on when I enter here. I appreciate the overall experience and willingness to share.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:04 am

You have definitely read the room right. Lots of snark and pissing matches, but good info too. As you get to know people here you’ll see that most have their hearts in the right place but don’t suffer fools lightly.

Welcome!
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

zonker

Post by zonker » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:50 am

suzeecat wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:48 am

It's interesting, when joining a new group/forum like this, it takes a little while to get the "feel" for the overall personality and I'm sensing a lot of sarcastic snark - not a bad thing, but good for me to note. Gonna be sure I have my big girl panties on when I enter here. I appreciate the overall experience and willingness to share.
no snark in this reply. i really appreciate you taking the time to get to know us. there are newbies (admittedly few) who come in and get their feelings hurt. i don't believe that's the intent of the group, but this how it's sometimes taken.

mostly this forum deals in facts rather than opinions. and if someone comes in with opinions that won't be swayed by facts, they get upset.

i'm glad to know that you aren't one of them.

that said, welcome to the zoo!
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:24 pm

zonker wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:50 am
suzeecat wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:48 am

no snark in this reply. i really appreciate you taking the time to get to know us. there are newbies (admittedly few) who come in and get their feelings hurt. i don't believe that's the intent of the group, but this how it's sometimes taken.

mostly this forum deals in facts rather than opinions. and if someone comes in with opinions that won't be swayed by facts, they get upset.

i'm glad to know that you aren't one of them.

that said, welcome to the zoo!
Ya know... I missed you while you were on walkabout.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

zonker

Post by zonker » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:55 pm

palerider wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:24 pm

Ya know... I missed you while you were on walkabout.
aw, shucks, sir.

unless that was snark?
:P
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:16 pm

zonker wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:55 pm
unless that was snark?
Do you want us to place a "snark warning" on all snarky posts? The on problem with that is the degree of snarkiness perceived depends on the reader. :lol: :lol:

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

zonker

Post by zonker » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:29 pm

Okie bipap wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:16 pm
zonker wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:55 pm
unless that was snark?
Do you want us to place a "snark warning" on all snarky posts? The on problem with that is the degree of snarkiness perceived depends on the reader. :lol: :lol:
i think we are now getting into some dangerous metaphysical territory, now.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac