stuck without CPAP - tips for sleeping?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
nkupianist

stuck without CPAP - tips for sleeping?

Post by nkupianist » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:49 pm

Hello,

First time poster here.

Brief overview - 32, on CPAP therapy since Jan 2018, hyper-compliant. Since starting, I've totaled a small handful of short naps and a night or two without CPAP.

To make a long story short, after receiving a warranty replacement Resmed AirSense 10 (I rented a CPAP locally during the repair period), I realized my replacement unit was defective - the port where the power supply plugs in is faulty, and the unit briefly flickers on and does nothing else when plugged in. I've tested with multiple power supplies and have jiggled the cord into every possible position - it's definitely a faulty connection in the unit itself.

When I realized the issue, it was a Friday night, and I'd already returned my rental unit to the supplier (which is only open weekdays). End result: this past Monday morning, I was able to call and get a new unit fast-tracked to my house, but I've been without CPAP therapy since Friday night, and I'm likely going to have to suffer a couple more evenings before it arrives. Another rental isn't really an option, as I couldn't make it in during their business hours prior to the arrival of the new unit anyway.

I had forgotten how bad pre-CPAP life was - I feel like I have a constant hangover. I'm losing my sanity due to the effects of sleep deprivation, but given that stuck for a couple more days, does anyone have tips to make the next few nights of sleep as bearable as possible in situations where CPAP therapy isn't accessible? I've tried breathe right strips (helped a bit) and sleeping on my side. I'm considering giving sleeping upright a try, although to get to sleep like that, I'd likely need to take something sedating, which I suspect would exacerbate my OSA, so that might be a wash benefit-wise.

Any input appreciated - it should only be a couple more nights, but this is incredibly miserable.

Thanks,
Scott

Cruiser1234

Re: stuck without CPAP - tips for sleeping?

Post by Cruiser1234 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:54 pm

For me, side sleeping and sleeping on my stomach help...also, without a pillow also helps.

zonker

Post by zonker » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:04 pm

nkupianist wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:49 pm
Hello,

First time poster here.

Any input appreciated - it should only be a couple more nights, but this is incredibly miserable.

Thanks,
Scott
welcome aboard! fortunately, this hasn't happened to me (YET!). can't imagine how it feels.

however, i've read on the forum a number of times that sleeping sitting up seems to help. possibly in a recliner if one is available.

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Gryphon

Post by Gryphon » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:10 pm

If your DME is worth anything at all... "YMMV" they should have an emergency number you can contact to get a "Temporary Loaner" that would be better then going with out at all...

Side sleeping is helpful, also you can try sleeping upright in a recliner chair propped up a bit with pillows... anything to alter the angle or lessen the likely hood that your airway is going to collapse.

If it were me I'd be on the phone right now making sure someone is bringing me, or allowing me to go pickup a device I could use in the interim... If that isn't available, I'd be making additional phone calls were I would still be professional about it but quite direct in making a serious fuss until I was provided the opportunity to get a machine I'm able to use. 3 or 4 days isn't Expedited... "Tonight" when your machine breaks that day is "Expedited"

There should be an option to get something to tide you over right now.

Best of luck

Gryphon

nkupianist

Post by nkupianist » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:44 pm

Gryphon wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:10 pm
If your DME is worth anything at all... "YMMV" they should have an emergency number you can contact to get a "Temporary Loaner" that would be better then going with out at all...

Side sleeping is helpful, also you can try sleeping upright in a recliner chair propped up a bit with pillows... anything to alter the angle or lessen the likely hood that your airway is going to collapse.

If it were me I'd be on the phone right now making sure someone is bringing me, or allowing me to go pickup a device I could use in the interim... If that isn't available, I'd be making additional phone calls were I would still be professional about it but quite direct in making a serious fuss until I was provided the opportunity to get a machine I'm able to use. 3 or 4 days isn't Expedited... "Tonight" when your machine breaks that day is "Expedited"

There should be an option to get something to tide you over right now.

Best of luck

Gryphon
I fully agree with you. I don't plan to buy another Resmed product. Apparently, they only ship warranty repair units to the retailer you bought from. They also require that they receive your unit before shipping a new one, which is insane and only mitigated if you want to shell out for a rental. I bought from an at-home study company located in Florida, so I know there will be at least a 1-day lag when it finally arrives to them. As of right now, they still haven't received the unit, despite it being "overnighted" to them starting Monday. There's definitely no loaner policy or after-hours number.

After learning this lesson the hard way, I'm only buying locally from now on using my prescription. At the time, it was easiest to just buy from the company who administered my at-home study. They do absolutely nothing in the way of loaners, though - I tried that when I first had to do the repair and got a brick wall. All they would do is advise I rent a unit locally, which of course requires paying when you didn't buy your unit from them initially. I seem to be faced with two retrospectively bad decisions - buying a Resmed product and not buying locally.

I may give the recliner a shot - thanks. If it gets bad enough and this continues dragging out, I guess I'll take time out of a new job I just started 6 weeks ago and drive to the other side of town to pay for a monthly CPAP rental I'm only using for 2-3 days. This whole situation is infuriating. People could die from this sort of situation, and the equipment manufacturer doesn't care. At the current rate, I'm going to be out $170 for a "covered" warranty repair.

nkupianist

Post by nkupianist » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:45 pm

Cruiser1234 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:54 pm
For me, side sleeping and sleeping on my stomach help...also, without a pillow also helps.
I've never tried the stomach - might give it a shot at least - thanks!

Cruiser1234

Post by Cruiser1234 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:53 pm

nkupianist wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:45 pm
Cruiser1234 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:54 pm
I've never tried the stomach - might give it a shot at least - thanks!
I sort of split myself like a banana (legs going in opposite directions) then put my face on the pillow. It helps...

Nick Danger

Post by Nick Danger » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:28 pm

It isn't very comfortable, but I have found that sleeping in a recliner is better than sleeping in bed if I don't have CPAP. If your bed is adjustable, you can probably use that and it would be more comfortable.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:35 pm

nkupianist .........I think most of your problem is with your DME...Most DMEs will GIVE you a loaner. If it's obvious that the unit is within warranty, the DME should exchange it on the spot and then send it to ResMed for credit. REsMed does NOT send repaired units to the DME to be sold as new.

Cruiser1234

Post by Cruiser1234 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:19 pm

This is the reason that many people have backup machines. Both for travel, and in the event that one breaks.

Ruinednose

Post by Ruinednose » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:03 pm

Craigslist buy, or Facebook. Score some between 75 and 140,worth it

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:17 pm

Cruiser1234 wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:19 pm
This is the reason that many people have backup machines. Both for travel, and in the event that one breaks.
I have a cpap 'go bag' in the closet, ready to be grabbed and go... has a 10 foot hose, and mask and all in it.. .used it today while having work done on my arm, laying on the operating table.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

zonker

Post by zonker » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:20 pm

palerider wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:17 pm
Cruiser1234 wrote:
I have a cpap 'go bag' in the closet, ready to be grabbed and go... has a 10 foot hose, and mask and all in it.. .used it today while having work done on my arm, laying on the operating table.
what did you do to your arm?

didn't hurt it from patting yourself on the back, did you?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:47 pm

zonker wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:20 pm
palerider wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:17 pm
Cruiser1234 wrote:
what did you do to your arm?

didn't hurt it from patting yourself on the back, did you?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
The dialysis "access" (graft) clotted up twice, two weekends in a row... so they go in with vacuums, balloons, roto-rooter (feels like a massage coming from inside my arm) stents and stuff to get the clots out and open it up so it flows again. Not painful, just annoying. Now, they think there's a 'problem' where the graft connects to the artery, so I'm being referred back to the surgeon, who may decide to cut me arm open again to fix it, somehow.

THAT will probably hurt... it sure hurt after he put the stupid thing in originally.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

nkupianist

Post by nkupianist » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:52 am

Well, this is embarrassing. I finally gave in and scored a rental CPAP. I got it home, plugged it in, only to notice the same problem - the power would only flicker when I plugged it in. Then I pushed the power supply into the unit just a bit deeper, and it came on. I tried the same procedure with my "defective unit"...it came on. I work in IT....*facepalm*.

The good news is that I got my first good night of sleep in a few days last night. I also learned a valuable lesson - I should probably a) have a back up or b) always know the location of the nearest CPAP renter wherever I am. I should also find a new, local DME, as mine has no standard loaner program, and there's a minimum lag of a few business days before you get any warranty replacements from them. Despite my stupidity upon receipt of my warranty replacement, this was still a major issue the first round, when my unit was in fact faulty. I wholeheartedly recommend the at-home study option for anyone who doesn't want to shell out the 1-2k for an in-person sleep study, but get your script and buy your CPAP locally.

I really can't believe I made such a dumb error, haha. I swear I don't remember having to be as forceful with the power supply on my Resmed Airsense I got in 2018, but I'm sure it was the same. It makes sense that they'd be made such that a very firm, secure fit was necessary so that the power supply doesn't randomly lose contact during sleep.

Thanks for all of your good suggestions. Hopefully this situation never arises again, but if it does, I've come away with some valuable take away info.