Travel Machine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Ron439

Travel Machine

Post by Ron439 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:51 am

Hi! It's been a long time since I've visited the forum, but thought y'all could give me some advice. I'm ordering some supplies for my husband, and thought while I'm at it I would look at machines. He has said repeatedly that he would love to have a machine for travel. He's been using the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet, and very happy with it. He's not even using the humidifier any more, he's so well adjusted. Since his machine is working well at home, this secondary machine will be strictly for travel, and not used as often, so I'm not looking to make a significant investment. I'm not trying to be cheap, but I'm sure you can understand why I'd like to be economical about this purchase. Can you recommend a good machine to pack and go that won't be super expensive? I'd like to stay with an auto machine, since that's what he's used to. I appreciate anything you can tell me!
Posted by Ronnie's wife Cyndi!

K5MOW

Re: Travel Machine

Post by K5MOW » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:14 am

A good option could be a AirStart 10. CPAP.COM has it for $279.00. Same machine with out the data.

Roger
Moderate to Severe Sleep Apnea

Airsense 10 Autoset AirStart 10 CPAP

Mirage Quattro Full Face Mask

Roger

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:27 am

K5MOW wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:14 am
A good option could be a AirStart 10. CPAP.COM has it for $279.00. Same machine with out the data.

Roger
OP has stated the travel machine needs to be auto/apap.
Ron439 wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:51 am
I'd like to stay with an auto machine, since that's what he's used to.
and you can't get the auto version for 279. It's 699...big difference.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... p-humidair

Also....the AirStart models are NOT heated hose capable at all. If a person needs, wants or prefers a heated hose for whatever reason they are out of luck.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:28 am

Why does he want a "travel" machine? Are you looking for something smaller look at Resmed AirMini. If he wants a battery (for long flights and power outages) Phillips Dreamstation GO with battery. If he wants a smaller machine, the cheapest route would be use his Airsense 10 Auto with the side cover instead of the humidifier. That replaces the humidifier chamber. Which makes the machine about an inch less wide. If he just wants a 2nd one, get it off Craigslist really cheap. Or www.secondwindcpap.com if you are unsure of Craigslist. (all of those above are auto).
Another thing- if he sticks with the exact same machine and just gets a 2nd one, all of his supplies are interchangeable. The travel machines have long hoses and masks that can be specific to their own machine. If your trying to save money, you need to figure in the cost of non-insurance covered items. If you stick with what he already uses, you will be covered by ins.

Last edited by Cardsfan on Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:32 am

K5MOW wrote:

Roger
I would not recommend the AirStart 10 your referencing for $279.

This machine is a constant pressure device, and the OP stated they are using an Auto sensing device.

Personally I think your best option is second AirSense 10 AutoSet. Put a side-panel on it, so you don't have the extra bulk of the humidifier. For many the logical machine might be a ResMed AirMini.

I don't like that option because:
  • Poor humidification (though not a problem for you)
  • Limited mask options
  • Not compatible with SleepHead/OSCAR
  • Many complain of it being noisy.
Last edited by Dog Slobber on Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

K5MOW

Post by K5MOW » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:33 am

Pugsy wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:27 am
K5MOW wrote:

Roger
OP has stated the travel machine needs to be auto/apap.
Ron439 wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:51 am
I'd like to stay with an auto machine, since that's what he's used to.
and you can't get the auto version for 279. It's 699...big difference.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... p-humidair

Also....the AirStart models are NOT heated hose capable at all. If a person needs, wants or prefers a heated hose for whatever reason they are out of luck.

SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!

Roger

Roger

K5MOW

Post by K5MOW » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:35 am

Dog Slobber wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:32 am
K5MOW wrote:

Roger
I would not recommend the AirStart 10 your referencing for $279.

This machine is a constant pressure device, and the OP stated they are using an Auto sensing device.

Personally I think your best option is second AirSense 10 AutoSense. Put a side-panel on it, so you don't have the extra bulk of the humidifier. For many the logical machine might be a ResMed AirMini.

I don't like that option because:
  • Poor humidification (though not a problem for you)
  • Limited mask options
  • Not compatible with SleepHead/OSCAR
  • Many complain of it being noisy.
Sorry. You are right. I missed the AutoSet.

Roger

Roger

Ron439

Post by Ron439 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:36 am

Wow, awesome, thanks! He just wants a second machine so he can leave his home setup the way it is without having to pack it up. The size really isn't an issue. I'll look into the above options!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:36 am

He's used to the auto algorithm of the ResMed brand and each brand does their auto adjusting a little differently so I don't know that I would be changing brands. He might not like it or do as well with a different algorithm.

All the tiny travel machines come with some disadvantages....to get tiny you have to give up something and often it is insulation so the biggest complaint seems to have been machine noise.

Auto machines are more expensive....travel size or not.

What I would do if it were me since your hubby doesn't need a humidifier.....get the discontinued ResMed S9 AutoSet without the humidifier. Since they have been discontinued the price is a lot less and you can still get auto adjusting.
It will be a smaller overall package and you get the same auto algorithm and you don't give up insulation and get a lot of motor noise.
They are relatively inexpensive since they have been discontinued but are essentially the same older big brother to the AirSense 10 AutoSet.

I would look at secondwindcpap.com for just the blower part of the S9 AutoSet.
https://www.secondwindcpap.com/
call them up and ask them how much for just the ResMed S9 AutoSet blower

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

K5MOW

Post by K5MOW » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:47 am

Pugsy wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:36 am
He's used to the auto algorithm of the ResMed brand and each brand does their auto adjusting a little differently so I don't know that I would be changing brands. He might not like it or do as well with a different algorithm.

All the tiny travel machines come with some disadvantages....to get tiny you have to give up something and often it is insulation so the biggest complaint seems to have been machine noise.

What I would do if it were me since your hubby doesn't need a humidifier.....get the discontinued ResMed S9 AutoSet without the humidifier. Since they have been discontinued the price is a lot less and you can still get auto adjusting.
It will be a smaller overall package and you get the same auto algorithm and you don't give up insulation and get a lot of motor noise.
They are relatively inexpensive since they have been discontinued but are essentially the same older big brother to the AirSense 10 AutoSet.

One more thing I thought I would add. I believe I am correct on this. The AirSence 10 Auto set is more aggressive in the changing of pressure than most other brands. So if he is doing well on the AirSence 10 Autoset. He might not do as well with another brand not being quite as of aggressive as other Brands.

Please correct me if I am incorrect

Roger

Roger

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:01 am

K5MOW wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:47 am
Pugsy wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:36 am

One more thing I thought I would add. I believe I am correct on this. The AirSence 10 Auto set is more aggressive in the changing of pressure than most other brands. So if he is doing well on the AirSence 10 Autoset. He might not do as well with another brand not being quite as of aggressive as other Brands.

Please correct me if I am incorrect

Roger
Essentially correct except I like to use the term "responsive" instead of "aggressive". It simply responds faster than some of the other brands when in auto adjusting mode. Goes up faster and comes down faster.
Aggressive denotes a negative in my mind but that's just me. Responsive sounds nicer. :lol:
And it's not like ResMed goes out trying to kill something that the other brands won't try to kill...it just makes a decision to go killing a little quicker and doesn't dilly dally around.

That going up faster can mean that people can use a lower baseline minimum with the ResMed and get the same or better results than with a different brand. I have used both the ResMed and Respironics apaps. With Respironics I needed a 10 cm minimum to do a good job and I can get the same good job with ResMed using 7 cm minimum and adding in 3 EPR to boot.
Now I can certainly do 10 cm easy enough but 7 inhale and 4 exhale is just so much sweeter than 10cm inhale with AFlex at 2...gave me about about 8.5 on exhale.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:14 am

Since the Airsense 10 line has been out for over four years, you might be able to score a
gently used or new, out of box Autoset at Secondwindcpap.com.
I would strenuously avoid the airSTART line, as it is bottom of the line/deceptively named.

Ron439

Post by Ron439 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:17 am

Okay, I'll have to agree, the best option would be to stick with a second AirSense 10, if I can get it. I've actually just found one on Craigslist ... so do y'all think that is trustworthy to buy that way? This is what the listing says:

I have a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset CPAP that I no longer need and wanted to see if there was someone with the medical needs who could use a discount on a like new machine. Machine has low hour usage, can verify view settings at purchase. Also comes with original instructions, case and power cable (no water chamber or tubing included).

I think I've purchased from Craigslist twice -- once was a great purchase, the other was garbage. So I have mixed feelings. This one is a good deal and would fit my needs 100%.

K5MOW

Post by K5MOW » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:21 am

chunkyfrog wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:14 am
Since the Airsense 10 line has been out for over four years, you might be able to score a
gently used or new, out of box Autoset at Secondwindcpap.com.
I would strenuously avoid the airSTART line, as it is bottom of the line/deceptively named.
If you just needed a CPAP only. The AirStart 10 is the same machine as the AirSence 10 CPAP with out the data and some features. Not a bad machine at all if all you want is just a straight CPAP no data. The machine is a great CPAP for what it is. I have the AirSence 10 Auto and the AirStart 10 for travel.

Roger

Roger

Ron439

Post by Ron439 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:26 am

Hey, if anyone wants to know -- I just completed my supply purchase on cpap.com. There was a coupon code that expired yesterday, FALL19, and it still worked today. FYI! :-)