change to new machines causing problems

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
mlg123

change to new machines causing problems

Post by mlg123 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:35 pm

HI All,

Faithful CPAP user for five years, very grateful to this board for the wealth of information and the direct support when I've need it. So I'm asking again for some help, beyond what doctors and sleep therapists understand. You are the experts in this game.

I have recently been in the process of getting a new machine. My prior machine was a Respironics PR System One RemStar 60 with a heated hose (or something very similar; I don't have it in front of me to reference the exact model). My first attempt at a new machine was the AirSense AutoSet 10 with the climatelineair tubing. Important note here, I am not an auto-pap user, I use a fixed pressure of 8, and sometimes pressure relief at level 1, but pressure changes tend to mess with me. On the ResMed machine my numbers were good, really good, AHI under 2, but I wasn't feeling good, I was feeling somewhat dizzy and lightheaded during the day. I did some research here and found that some people find it hard to change machines once their used to one algorithm. I was convinced that the machine was my problem, and I called my doctor and my DME and arranged to change the machine out for the PR DreamStation. Now my numbers are really awful, AHI around 7 and higher sometimes, and I feel a ton worse. I don't understand it. Doctor and DME think I'm crazy saying the change in the machine is causing the problem. They think a pressure of 8 is a pressure of 8 and that's that. I know you all know differently. Everything else has remained constant. I have not changed my mask. I still wear my same night guard for bruxism. I still sleep on my side. I'm lost, frustrated, and in need of help. What I am most baffled by is how my results are some much worse on the DreamStation as compared with my original PR System One machine. I assumed going to another PR machine, just newer, would produce the same results.

Tired and need to stop drinking so much coffee as it's killing my stomach.

Thank you a million times over in advance.
-M

Additional Comments: heated tube, sleepyhead/oscar software, no flex (but sometimes C-Flex 1, pressure 8

palerider

Re: change to new machines causing problems

Post by palerider » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:57 pm

mlg123 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:35 pm
They think a pressure of 8 is a pressure of 8 and that's that. I know you all know differently.
Eh, no, not really.

Assuming the machine is working properly, not malfunctioning, 8cmh2o is 8cmh2o.

Have them stick it on a manometer and make sure...
mlg123 wrote:
Everything else has remained constant. I have not changed my mask. I still wear my same night guard for bruxism. I still sleep on my side. I'm lost, frustrated, and in need of help. What I am most baffled by is how my results are some much worse on the DreamStation as compared with my original PR System One machine. I assumed going to another PR machine, just newer, would produce the same results.
Unless the machine is malfunctioning... look elsewhere for the problem.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

mlg123

Post by mlg123 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:48 pm

Thanks Palerider. I appreciate the feedback.

I found a separate post from another user with a similar problem. I thought maybe it might help clarify what I’m trying to say.

viewtopic/t116447/DreamStation-Reading- ... 8d8fe97ea9

Additional Comments: heated tube, sleepyhead/oscar software, no flex (but sometimes C-Flex 1, pressure 8

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:42 pm

mlg123 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:48 pm
Thanks Palerider. I appreciate the feedback.

I found a separate post from another user with a similar problem. I thought maybe it might help clarify what I’m trying to say.

viewtopic/t116447/DreamStation-Reading- ... 8d8fe97ea9
Since you're on a fixed pressure, that thread isn't really applicable.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

mlg123

Post by mlg123 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:05 am

palerider wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:57 pm
mlg123 wrote:
They think a pressure of 8 is a pressure of 8 and that's that. I know you all know differently.
Eh, no, not really.

Assuming the machine is working properly, not malfunctioning, 8cmh2o is 8cmh2o.

Have them stick it on a manometer and make sure...
mlg123 wrote:
Everything else has remained constant. I have not changed my mask. I still wear my same night guard for bruxism. I still sleep on my side. I'm lost, frustrated, and in need of help. What I am most baffled by is how my results are some much worse on the DreamStation as compared with my original PR System One machine. I assumed going to another PR machine, just newer, would produce the same results.
Unless the machine is malfunctioning... look elsewhere for the problem.
Where is the elsewhere I should be looking please? The machine is the only thing that has changed.

Thanks.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:19 am

Have you tried going back to your old machine??

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:21 pm

mlg123 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:05 am
Where is the elsewhere I should be looking please? The machine is the only thing that has changed.

Thanks.
I have no idea, since I'm not there in your room.

There are many variables. including YOU.

mlg123

Post by mlg123 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:47 pm

Thank you

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:25 pm

Need to see the detailed reports....See what that AHI is composed of.
Need to verify that both machines are actually delivering 8 cm pressure....manometer is used for this. You can make one or buy one.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

mlg123

Post by mlg123 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:04 pm

Manometer ordered (from our sponsor, of course) and it will probably be a week or two until I receive it and have any more information to share.

Thanks Pugsy.