Cleaning the P30i pillow filter?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Dog Slobber

Re: Cleaning the P30i pillow filter?

Post by Dog Slobber » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:03 am

garlford wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:16 am
Just ran across the Resmed video for removing the diffuser filter from the P30i:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSEfE-F-_8o

Also Jason (LankyLefty) did a review of the Airfit P30i on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SNoDqOXiFE&t=7s

If you look closely, it looks like he has removed the fiber pad from the diffuser.
I don't think he removed the fiber pad, I don't think his has one. Possibly because, or early version that was given to him where ResMed changed the diffuser.

If you look at the hole pattern on the diffuser on Jason's there are a lot more holes on his and a different pattern than on the current P30i.

This was discussed in (with pictures) in this topic: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176829&p=1320626&hi ... i#p1320622

garlford

Post by garlford » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:41 am

Thanks! I had not seen that discussion. Out of curiosity, I actually slide the fiber pad out of an old P30i pillows diffuser. Not too difficult with a small knife blade. What was kind of disconcerting was the the fiber pad actually had black spots at the positions of each hole in the plastic. Sort of like what has been reported with the QuietAir vents on the F30s and F20s. This nose pillow piece had been used about 3 weeks. I wash the pillows daily, but not the diffuser part. I have used this pillows piece with the fiber pad removed for the past two nights. Without the fiber, the med. leak rate in Oscar for me is about 7.20 L/min. With the fiber, the med leak rate was averaging about 3.20 L/min. Also, it might be a little noisier without the fiber in the diffuser, but it is hard for me to judge the noise level because I wear hearing aids, but not to bed. It is easier to clean (wash) without that fiber pad...

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:05 am

Is it possible to clean the INSIDE of the soft tubes that run up the sides of the face?
I mean like with a little flexible brush?
I have been known to sneeze pretty hard. (and sloppy)

zorki1c

Post by zorki1c » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:24 am

The P30i pillow is more flexible that the N30i pillow and doesn't pop out of the mask as easily. I was afraid I would tear it trying to get it out. But I discovered the P30i is tougher than I thought. Takes a little more work to get it loose but mine has always come out undamaged. Haven't had any problem with additional noise. In fact there is less because it was hard to get a complete seal with the N30i pillow. I just submerge the headgear in soapy water for an hour or so then rinse and hang up outside (in warm weather) to dry. Never have used a brush on any of our equipment -- just soak and rinse -- but we live in a dry climate where we don't have to worry much about mold, fungus or whatever. The wraps around the lower part of the mask take awhile to dry but don't do what I did when I first got the mask and try to remove them to keep from getting them wet during cleaning!! I have to admit that sometimes in the summer I go back to my P10 mask because the N/P30i is hotter to wear.

garlford

Post by garlford » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:15 am

I also soak and rinse the frame tubes, and if my wife isn't watching, sling it around a bit as if it is a lasso. If I squeeze on the hard ends of the tube where the pillows piece fits in (as if to make it more round), the pillows part comes out easily.

Spot123

Post by Spot123 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:49 am

garlford wrote:
Just ran across the Resmed video for removing the diffuser filter from the P30i:
So, "to save the planet", why can't they just sell this little replacement part??? Would be much smaller/lighter to ship.

Actually, the hard plastic piece is probably good for a lifetime -- I just want a replacement filter that I can slip in. After my initial post, I did manage to push/pull that little filter out and rinsed it. The black dots turned gray but that was the best I could get it. Now, after several months, the black is back and looks just a bit scary. I soaked briefly in vinegar/water solution but that didn't do anything. I'm gonna get a compressed air canister later and see if I can knock some of it out.The problem is that it was difficult to get back in -- I may have damaged it a little on the edges in the process. It's thin and looser (and flimsier) than the filter that goes in the machine. Any ideas on a replacement filter that I could cut to size?

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:43 am

Spot123 wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:49 am
garlford wrote:
So, "to save the planet", why can't they just sell this little replacement part??? Would be much smaller/lighter to ship.

Actually, the hard plastic piece is probably good for a lifetime -- I just want a replacement filter that I can slip in. After my initial post, I did manage to push/pull that little filter out and rinsed it. The black dots turned gray but that was the best I could get it. Now, after several months, the black is back and looks just a bit scary. I soaked briefly in vinegar/water solution but that didn't do anything. I'm gonna get a compressed air canister later and see if I can knock some of it out.The problem is that it was difficult to get back in -- I may have damaged it a little on the edges in the process. It's thin and looser (and flimsier) than the filter that goes in the machine. Any ideas on a replacement filter that I could cut to size?
I don't know why you so concerned. The spots are nothing but a little staining.

Every night thousands of moist air passes through the diffuser through the holes. and as much as we want to think that the air we inhale and exhale is 100% clean, it's not. Some staining is going to occur.

Some thoughts:
  • Those spots are at exhale points, no air is coming back through the mask into your system
  • That filter's role is not a filter, it's a diffuser, why would they need to filter air as it leaves the system. It's there to take the air that's leaving and diffuse it so there is less of a stream making it quieter and can't be felt.
  • Your mask came with two other nasal pillow sets, switch them with the pillow you're currently using.
  • Move the diffuser component over, or rotate it 180 degrees, or flip it so the current stained spots no longer align with the holes

I see the same staining marks on mine, they don't bother me in the least. you shouldn't be bothered either.

Spot123

Post by Spot123 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:01 am

Dog Slobber wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:43 am
I don't know why you so concerned. The spots are nothing but a little staining.
I am not a "clean freak", BUT, I dust my bedroom when the dust piles up enough to bother me. Same with cleaning the bathroom. So I guess this means it's bothering me, when I have enough spare time to notice/think about it. :wink:
Dog Slobber wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:43 am
I see the same staining marks on mine, they don't bother me in the least. you shouldn't be bothered either.
I'll try. Thanks.

Swanky91

Post by Swanky91 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:36 pm

The filer piece is easy to remove from the mask, it's just held in place by the rubber, I always take it out when I clean the mask.
However I wanted to go further so I could maybe replace the filter in the plastic piece.

SoI broke into the filter, it's moulded plastic and fused together around the filter... Soooo I wouldn't recommend doing what I did unless you are okay with just breaking the face off and using it without the filter.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:20 pm

The P30i ships with three sizes, S, M and L.

You can mix interchange the removable filter between the three sizes.

Spot123

Post by Spot123 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:16 am

Swanky91 wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:36 pm
The filer piece is easy to remove from the mask, it's just held in place by the rubber, I always take it out when I clean the mask.
However I wanted to go further so I could maybe replace the filter in the plastic piece.

SoI broke into the filter, it's moulded plastic and fused together around the filter... Soooo I wouldn't recommend doing what I did unless you are okay with just breaking the face off and using it without the filter.
I did manage to slide the diffuser filter out of the hard plastic case without breaking either one. Soaked it in vinegar and water for a few hours. Color turned from black to medium brown. But it was back to black again within a few days. So I guess it is just the world we live in. <<shrug>>