Resmed S10 vs Phillips Respironics DreamStation

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
NYCzzz

Resmed S10 vs Phillips Respironics DreamStation

Post by NYCzzz » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:37 pm

I've been off this site for a while (since the last time I got my S9 years ago). I figure it's time to get a new CPAP... not that I have any specific complaints about the S9. I just figured the technology is better now. A couple questions:

1) any consensus for "what's better" the Resmed S10 Airsense or the Phillips Respironics Dreamstation? I like using it in Autoset mode and plan to do that going forward?. Any quick links that address this comparison would be great, but would love to hear your opinion or if there's a consensus.

2) How do the 2 models do with sleep data? I used to love the SleepyHead app but new computers now don't read the SD cards. Is there an equivalent now that doesn't require an SD card?

Thanks!!

Pugsy

Re: Resmed S10 vs Phillips Respironics DreamStation

Post by Pugsy » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:51 pm

Point of annoyance for me....there are no S10 machines in the ResMed line.
There is the AirSense 10 and AirCurve 10 model lines.
And yes...I know that there is at least one website that uses the S10 nomenclature but they don't care if it annoys me or not. :lol:
S10s are Chevy trucks to me.

Do the new computers now that don't have SD card slots have USB ports? If so all you need is a little adapter for the SD card so it can hold the SD card and plug into the USB port at the same time.
If you want detailed data then you have to have something that will store that detailed data for you to look at it.
The internal memory of the machine can't hold it. It gets written directly to the SD card.
The data that is available on the LCD screen....very limited and pretty much sucks.
Now there is a way to use a special WiFi card to get the detailed data off the machine but it still involves setting up that card using your computer first...so still need some sort of way to utilize a SD card at least at first.

Comparisons between the DreamStation and AirSense models have been discussed many times here on the forum.
Sorry I didn't save the links and no time to go looking for them right now.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:20 pm

NYCzzz wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:37 pm
I've been off this site for a while (since the last time I got my S9 years ago). I figure it's time to get a new CPAP... not that I have any specific complaints about the S9. I just figured the technology is better now. A couple questions:

1) any consensus for "what's better" the Resmed S10 Airsense or the Phillips Respironics Dreamstation?
There's no such thing as a Resmed s10, and both the air10 machines and the dreamstation are whole lines of machines, not a specific one.

It's like saying "which car is better, Ford or Chevy".

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

NYCzzz

Post by NYCzzz » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:39 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:51 pm
Point of annoyance for me....there are no S10 machines in the ResMed line.
There is the AirSense 10 and AirCurve 10 model lines.
And yes...I know that there is at least one website that uses the S10 nomenclature but they don't care if it annoys me or not. :lol:
S10s are Chevy trucks to me.

Do the new computers now that don't have SD card slots have USB ports? If so all you need is a little adapter for the SD card so it can hold the SD card and plug into the USB port at the same time.
If you want detailed data then you have to have something that will store that detailed data for you to look at it.
The internal memory of the machine can't hold it. It gets written directly to the SD card.
The data that is available on the LCD screen....very limited and pretty much sucks.
Now there is a way to use a special WiFi card to get the detailed data off the machine but it still involves setting up that card using your computer first...so still need some sort of way to utilize a SD card at least at first.

Comparisons between the DreamStation and AirSense models have been discussed many times here on the forum.
Sorry I didn't save the links and no time to go looking for them right now.

sorry my topic is a pet peeve of yours. please know that YOU are the reason i came back to this site and no other for advice. so perhaps i got lucky with the mistake to get your response?

i ordered an SD adapter so that's not an issue anymore.. was more curious if the technology was any better now to get the data directly to an iPhone, etc, but i guess not... that's ok.

i really am interested in finding the best new machine to order. i see many people, like yourself, do the "for her" model of the AirSense 10 (see.. i listen!). Is that still important? Hate to be superficial but I do prefer the look of the regular vs. the for her but happy to ignore that if it's important.

Again, I had no particular issue with the S9, just figured the Airsense 10 or DreamStation probably better somehow as they are newer..

Thanks

NYCzzz

Post by NYCzzz » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:40 pm

palerider wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:20 pm
NYCzzz wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:37 pm

1) any consensus for "what's better" the Resmed S10 Airsense or the Phillips Respironics Dreamstation?
There's no such thing as a Resmed s10, and both the air10 machines and the dreamstation are whole lines of machines, not a specific one.

It's like saying "which car is better, Ford or Chevy".
makes sense to come on a forum like this to find out what's better. i understand it's like the ford v chevy question. as a non-expert, that's a fair question! you'll notice I asked if there was a consensus... i guess not

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:01 pm

NYCzzz wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:40 pm
you'll notice I asked if there was a consensus... i guess not
Getting your terminology correct is an important first step to getting good results when searching for information.

Resmed is better in almost all ways. (Except cost, where Philips is a bit cheaper.)

For most people, "Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for her", second best "Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset"

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:29 pm

If you have been comfortable with the ResMed S9, you will find the ResMed Airsense algorithm very close to what you have been using. You may not be comfortable with the Phillips product.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:42 pm

If the "look" of the AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her bugs you too much because of the leaves....
that's easily fixed for $20.

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... -faceplate

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:08 am

NYCzzz wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:39 pm

sorry my topic is a pet peeve of yours. please know that YOU are the reason i came back to this site and no other for advice. so perhaps i got lucky with the mistake to get your response?
She didn't say your topic was a pet peeve of hers, she said referencing the "ResMed AirSense 10" as an S10 is an annoyance. There is no such thing as an S10, it confuses some and doing searches for S10 results in poor hits.

If you want quality, unambiguous responses use accurate terminology.
NYCzzz wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:40 pm
makes sense to come on a forum like this to find out what's better. i understand it's like the ford v chevy question. as a non-expert, that's a fair question! you'll notice I asked if there was a consensus... i guess not
Yes, asking a comparison between Ford and Chevy can be valid, if you are interested in a comparison between manufacturers. But it's not a good question to ask, if you are looking for comparison between specific models, from those manufacturers.

If you want a comparison between a Mustang and a Corvette, you don't ask for a comparison between Ford and Chevy, because you might get comparisons between F150s and Siverados
Last edited by Dog Slobber on Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:14 am

I like to use as close to correct terminology as possible so as to avoid confusion.
Except of course when I use the terms "thingy" and "doodad" because I can't remember the official part name. :lol:

When shopping for a new machine....if you are happy with the brand you have then I suggest sticking with that brand.
Each manufacturer has their own little ways of going about doing their job and a different brand might have a way of doing something you don't like.

Unless of course a person is lucky enough to actually test drive each model brand...but most people aren't that lucky.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:45 am

Pugsy wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:42 pm
If the "look" of the AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her bugs you too much because of the leaves....
It never ceases to amaze me how some people are about the either the "for Her" branding or the vine pattern on the machine. Of course, I understand preference, but to sacrifice machine quality and functionality, ridiculous.

I know you're aware of this, in Ontario one needs to meet very specific needs to qualify for a subsidized APAP machine. However, for some strange reason the AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her is classified as a CPAP device.

A friend of mine was recently prescribed a CPAP machine. I explained to him:
  • This odd quirk where he can get the for Her APAP device
  • The difference between APAP and CPAP
  • The therapy advantages one receives with Auto Pressure
  • The for Her is capable of CPAP, but with two extra modes
  • etc.
He ended up getting the Elite model, because it wasn't for girls and didn't have flowers on it.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:56 am

Dog Slobber wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:45 am
He ended up getting the Elite model, because it wasn't for girls and didn't have flowers on it.
:lol: :lol: Doesn't surprise me one bit.
Just proves what I have always secretly said....just because you got balls doesn't mean you got brains. :shock:

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:08 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:56 am
Dog Slobber wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:45 am
:lol: :lol: Doesn't surprise me one bit.
Just proves what I have always secretly said....just because you got balls doesn't mean you got brains. :shock:
Brains seem to be increasingly hard to find these days :(

TropicalDiver

Post by TropicalDiver » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:11 pm

NYCzzz wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:39 pm
Hate to be superficial but I do prefer the look of the regular vs. the for her but happy to ignore that if it's important.

Again, I had no particular issue with the S9, just figured the Airsense 10 or DreamStation probably better somehow as they are newer..

Thanks
I had the S9 Vauto. When it came time to replace, I got the equivalent DreamStation. While I like the DS in many ways, the breathing never felt right to me. After seven days, I swapped for the AirCurve 10 Vauto and am very happy with it.

If you are happy with your ResMed, I would stick with ResMed.

If I didn't need bilevel, I would get the for her model. I will trade having another therapy mode many (men and women) have found useful for the look.
Machine: Aircurve 10 Vauto (Prior S9 VPAP)
Mask: Quattro Air FFM and AirTouch F20 FFM

andy88488

Post by andy88488 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:30 pm

FWIW, I just went from the Respironics System 60 APAP to the Resmed Airsense 10 APAP, and I am finding that I am waking up significantly less foggy. I wouldn't get another Respironics machine unless they really upped their game. When researching this, I also went to their respective websites. The Resmed website mentioned many specific innovations, while the Respironics site just said "your patients will like it". If Respironics had improved their product in any way other than appearance, they didn't care to share it.
Resmed Airsense Autoset 10
Resmed Airfit F20 Mask