Ready to throw away CPAP!!!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
The Baby Crow
Location: Innisfil, Ontario (Summer) and Leesburg, Florida (Winter) 6 mos each.

Ready to throw away CPAP!!!

Post by The Baby Crow » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:40 am

I have been a CPAP user for 5 years........desparately long years.
I started with Nasal Mask. Mouth breather, didn't work.
Turned to Full mask. Worked for about 3 years (buying new mask every six months). LEAKING DROVE ME CRAZY! No sleep and lots of Frustration.
Switched to Nasal Pillows and have, over the past year, developed something that is worse.
Every morning I wake up hacking and coughing up phlegm and gunk from my throat and blowing my nose about 12 times to clear out my sinus.
My doctor prescribed nasal steroids. Didn't help.

The hacking and coughing and blowing lasts for about 45 minutes each an every morning.
I tried going back to the Full Face but the leaks again drove me nuts to the point I tore it off my head and threw it to the floor and put the nasal pillows back on.
I sleep really well with the nasal pillows but this morning gunk is really bad.
I'm having a surgery in September and I'm worried about all this coughing when I wake up.

Any have a suggestion for a mask that doesn't leak? Seem an impossible task! With the amount they charge for masks there must be once that works for mouth breathers without leaking! Thanks.

D.H.

Re: Ready to throw away CPAP!!!

Post by D.H. » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:28 am

You never really found the ideal masks and settings. However, it does appear that you were able to derive at least some benefit.

Note that while steroids work well, they cause a lot of "gunk" when they wear off. You might try asking for a non-steroidal medication instead.

jsmit86

Post by jsmit86 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:38 am

You might want to try the Resmed AirTouch F20 mask.
It uses a memory foam cushion instead of silicone.
I have used the AirFit F20 which is similar to your F10, and I also have used the AirTouch type.
I have found that the AirTouch with memory foam is easier to adjust and control leaks. Generally speaking it provides a better seal.

That could be worth a try.

Resmed Airsense 11 Autoset - Former Airsense 10 Autoset
Resmed Airtouch F20 Foam Mask
Travel unit HDM Z2 Auto

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:52 am

Can you post a list of masks you have tried and be specific as to what problems you had? For example, which full face masks have you tried and where did it leak? All might or later in the night, or just fine for a month and then leaks?

We can help you find the right mask, size, and how to fit it. There *are* full face masks that fit well and don't leak, but it will be different for each person. For example, I use the Resmed Quattro FX small size with small headgear. I rarely have any leaking, and even the smallest hiss will wake me up, so I truly have a leak line on zero. On some occasions, I drool, and it will leak a bit after that. But that is maybe 2-3 nights a month, and not that much. I just shove a kleenex in under the seal.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:02 am

My "gunk" is generated by allergies--"seasonal", but some in every season.
A nightly antihistamine and cpap humidity takes care of most of it.
The remainder, though slightly gross, is just Nature's morning flush.
The alternative would be dry, crusty,--and ITCHY.
My phlegm is my friend.

The Baby Crow

Post by The Baby Crow » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:25 am

Full Face - Red Med F10 Small

Nasal Pillows - Res Med Swift FX Small

Nasal Pillows - F & P Brevida Small

The other Nasal mask I first used I took it back the next day, can't remember what it was.

The full face leaks after about 5 minutes. Different spots all over my face.

I really love the F & P Brevida but since this has happened I have gone back to the Swift FX. With both I get that darn RED FACE telling me my mask doesn't fit.

I do get a good night's sleep and only wake up during the night with the Full Face.
It's just all this gunk is really driving me nuts. I can't take any antihistamines. Just the steroid spray and only for 14 days.

My supplier told me to use the heated hose and that would stop the mouth breathing.......didn't.

I may try that F20 but I've heard bad reports about it leaking too and having to replace the silicone too often.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:43 am

The Baby Crow wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:25 am
I may try that F20 but I've heard bad reports about it leaking too and having to replace the silicone too often.
It's not so much the silicone version but the memory foam version that has a faster replacement rate of the cushion.

Here's the regular F20 AirFit with the silicone cushion.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... k-headgear

and here it is as the F20 AirTouch model with the memory foam cushion.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... -cpap-mask

here's the beauty of this mask....the frame for either will work with either cushion. So if you get the full mask package with the silicone and you wanted to try the memory foam all you need is the cushion.

The memory foam will last longer than 30 days with some extra common sense care...water is not its friend though. Moisture hastens the foam breaking down. My DME guy actually uses the foam version...he says he can get about 3 months out of a cushion before it breaks down too much and needs replaced. Using a mask liner would likely prolong the life as well...keeps facial oils off the foam.

It terms of leaking...that's just a YMMV thing that come with all masks.

If you ever wanted to revisit the nasal masks...take a look at the mask in my profile.
Properly attached it simply won't leak at the nose anyway. Put together correctly it won't leak anywhere.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

jsmit86

Post by jsmit86 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:57 am

While Resmed suggests 30 day replacement for the Airtouch Memory Foam series, I am approaching 75-90 days on mine.

Keep water away. I wipe it down every morning with a unscented baby wipe, including GENTLY wiping the foam cushion. I also wipe my face down before going to bed.

Replacement Airtouch F20 cushions go for about ~$30 on Amazon.
YMMV.

Resmed Airsense 11 Autoset - Former Airsense 10 Autoset
Resmed Airtouch F20 Foam Mask
Travel unit HDM Z2 Auto

The Baby Crow

Post by The Baby Crow » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:27 am

I think with any nasal mask my mouth will still open so I will get that nasty red face every morning telling me my mask doesn't fit.

Going to call my supplier tomorrow to try both the Qattro One and the F20 with foam.

Thanks so much everyone. Can always count on good answers in this forum.

Marilyn

laprof

Post by laprof » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:53 am

Thanks to suggestions on this site, I switched to the Bleep mask - and it has been a game changer for me. I, too, breathe through my mouth at night, so use medical tape to close my mouth. My be worth thinking about. Best.

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:55 am

The Baby Crow wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:27 am
I think with any nasal mask my mouth will still open so I will get that nasty red face every morning telling me my mask doesn't fit.

Going to call my supplier tomorrow to try both the Qattro One and the F20 with foam.

Thanks so much everyone. Can always count on good answers in this forum.

Marilyn
this MIGHT not be the thing for you. and i know we are all different and so forth. having said that, this may offer a cheap solution-

viewtopic/p1089718/viewtopic.php?f=1&t= ... s#p1086296

i use the P10 nasal pillow mask in conjunction with the above. no leaks. besides keeping my mouth shut, this also happens to help keep my P10 snuggly against my nares.

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

The Baby Crow

Post by The Baby Crow » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:03 pm

Wow! Never thought of using a headband......I'll try that! Thanks so much everyone!

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:39 pm

The Baby Crow wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:03 pm
Wow! Never thought of using a headband......I'll try that! Thanks so much everyone!
please let me know how the headbands work for you. while forum member jay came up with the idea originally, i've taken his idea and ran with it. it's sorta my thing.

so let me know whether it works for you or if it does not.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Redonthehead

Post by Redonthehead » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:45 pm

maybe try changing the humidity settings to improve the nasal congestion?

gv280z

Post by gv280z » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:10 pm

Resmed F30 with Amara view headgear is my personal mask perfection. Adjusted properly, I rarely have leaks. Am about to donate An Amara View because I just dont need it anymore.
Yay :D For no more diaphragm cramps and dozing off while driving! :lol: