Travel to Switzerland with Resmed Vauto. ? about amp rating.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Lovetoski

Travel to Switzerland with Resmed Vauto. ? about amp rating.

Post by Lovetoski » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:53 am

Hello All:
I am traveling to Switzerland with my Resmed Aircurve Vauto in about 3 weeks. I have traveled overseas before, but with my old machine a Resmed Airsense 10 Auto.
In preparation for this trip, I have purchased an adaptor with C type plug which indicates that it will be appropriate for Swiss receptacles (even tho Swiss plugs are a J, a C will fit). In addition, I purchased a dedicated powercord with C plug that will plug directly into my powerbrick.
My Aircurve Vauto is set for pressures of minimum EPAP 9.2, Maximum IPAP 18.0, PS of 4. I do use the humidifer and need it - currently set at 4. From what I can figure out, the Vauto pulls about 4 amps. The dedicated cord I purchased from Amazon indicates 2.5 amps - 250 Volts. I am not sure the cord will be safe to use. Please advise if you can.
PS: I also have several plug adapters that I would be able to use instead, one with C plug and one with J plug.
Thanks in advance,
Lovetoski

CapnLoki

Re: Travel to Switzerland with Resmed Vauto. ? about amp rating.

Post by CapnLoki » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:59 am

Lovetoski wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:53 am
Hello All:
I am traveling to Switzerland with my Resmed Aircurve Vauto in about 3 weeks. I have traveled overseas before, but with my old machine a Resmed Airsense 10 Auto.
In preparation for this trip, I have purchased an adaptor with C type plug which indicates that it will be appropriate for Swiss receptacles (even tho Swiss plugs are a J, a C will fit). In addition, I purchased a dedicated powercord with C plug that will plug directly into my powerbrick.
My Aircurve Vauto is set for pressures of minimum EPAP 9.2, Maximum IPAP 18.0, PS of 4. I do use the humidifer and need it - currently set at 4. From what I can figure out, the Vauto pulls about 4 amps. The dedicated cord I purchased from Amazon indicates 2.5 amps - 250 Volts. I am not sure the cord will be safe to use. Please advise if you can.
PS: I also have several plug adapters that I would be able to use instead, one with C plug and one with J plug.
Thanks in advance,
Lovetoski
I'm not sure where you're getting the "pulls about 4 amps" from. The normal AC power supply is 90 Watts and it doesn't care if 120 or 240 volts. In either case it would be under one amp - actually half an amp at 240V. The efficiency should be at least 85% so that doesn't affect my guesstimates. Actually the higher Euro voltage means thinner wires can be used for the same power, so any size that works for an American 120V cord should easily handle the 240V.

Are you getting the current load from the ResMed Battery Guide? This applies to the load on a 12 volt battery which will be, in amps, 10 time the load at 120 volts.

My approach for European travel is to bring a American 3 prong extension cord with three outlets, and use a simple plug adpator appropriate to the country. The three outlets can power my cpap and two chargers.

Additional Comments: Pressure 9-20, average ~9.5; often use battery power while off-grid
Hark, how hard he fetches breath . . .  Act II, Scene IV, King Henry IV Part I, William Shakespeare
Choosing a Battery thread: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1140 ... ttery.html

Lovetoski

Post by Lovetoski » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:29 am

Thank you for your great information, CapnLoki. You are correct that I got the info about current load from the Resmed battery guide. What I understand about electricity is obviously rather limited.
Sounds like I should be good to go. I have a US extension cord + C plug adaptor I used last year without a problem in France. I had purchased a heavier gauge one (18) to be on the safe side - but can see from your response that I would have been ok with a regular cord ( and lighter as well).
One less thing to worry about for the upcoming trip.
Thanks again!
Lovetoski

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:06 pm

First thing; if you're taking an extension card, make sure it's a simple extension cord (i.e. no surge suppressor). A standard US surge suppressor cannot be used in Europe!

Second thing; Switzerland is known for very high altitudes, so check with the manufacturer whether your machine can handle an altitude higher than the one in the specification.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:04 pm

To D. H..... wrong again..... Swiss member, Esel, here on the forum uses a Resmed V10. Look him up. you might learn something useful for a change. To the op... yes you obviously can use your machine while in Switzerland .
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

Lovetoski

Post by Lovetoski » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:46 pm

Thanks Nan. I knew I would be okay with the elevation despite living at about 800 ft.
The highest elevation we will be sleeping at is 6400 ft and we were on a trip this spring to Bryce Canyon and North Rim of the Grand Canyon both of which were much higher (8200 ft and 7900 ft). Vauto worked just fine!
I on the other hand might be doing some huffing and puffing at higher altitudes when hiking (this is a hiking trip). :lol:
My extension cord worked just fine in rural France last year so was confident about that.
Now, just need to pare down my clothing items!
Lovetoski

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:35 pm

nanwilson wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:04 pm
To D. H..... wrong again..... Swiss member, Esel, here on the forum uses a Resmed V10. Look him up. you might learn something useful for a change. To the op... yes you obviously can use your machine while in Switzerland .
I never said that the OP can't use his(her) CPAP in Switzerland. Almost any CPAP on the market today can be used in any country on earth (provided that electric service is available). I only said that (s)he needed an adapter, and not to use a surge suppressor that is intended for U.S. use. I also said to check out what happens at an elevation higher than the max stated in the specs.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:12 am

D.H. wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:35 pm
nanwilson wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:04 pm
I never said that the OP can't use his(her) CPAP in Switzerland. Almost any CPAP on the market today can be used in any country on earth (provided that electric service is available). I only said that (s)he needed an adapter, and not to use a surge suppressor that is intended for U.S. use. I also said to check out what happens at an elevation higher than the max stated in the specs.
Just go away, and don't argue when corrected by smarter members.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.