xPAP and oxygen

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
iamsleepynow

xPAP and oxygen

Post by iamsleepynow » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:39 pm

I am trying to understand exactly why a portable pulse dose oxygen concentrator (POC) cannot be used with xPAP. I know it's written everywhere and the DME websites all say with xPAP one needs continuous O2. It's possible to bleed in O2 just below a mask. And I used to have masks with a built-in O2 port. Or maybe there is a way to include a cannula connected to POC inside an xPAP mask that would trigger the POC?

I'm just wondering if the newer pulse POCs have been tested with xPAP or if the research the requirements are set at using *old* research. I do understand hypopneas may not trigger a pulse. But the newer Inogen states they have a sleep setting which gives a larger bolus during sleep.

I don't just want to be told that continuous is necessary but WHY. And the WHY based on current published publically available data.

Thanks,

palerider

Re: xPAP and oxygen

Post by palerider » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:42 pm

iamsleepynow wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:39 pm
I am trying to understand exactly why a portable pulse dose oxygen concentrator (POC) cannot be used with xPAP. I know it's written everywhere and the DME websites all say with xPAP one needs continuous O2. It's possible to bleed in O2 just below a mask. And I used to have masks with a built-in O2 port. Or maybe there is a way to include a cannula connected to POC inside an xPAP mask that would trigger the POC?

I'm just wondering if the newer pulse POCs have been tested with xPAP or if the research the requirements are set at using *old* research. I do understand hypopneas may not trigger a pulse. But the newer Inogen states they have a sleep setting which gives a larger bolus during sleep.

I don't just want to be told that continuous is necessary but WHY. And the WHY based on current published publically available data.

Thanks,
continuous concentrators are compatible with cpap, pulse concentrators are not... because the cpap continuous pressure never triggers the pulse concentrators to deliver oxygen.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

ChicagoGranny

Re: xPAP and oxygen

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:52 pm

That won't work for what the OP is wanting to do. See Palerider's post.