can you change the leak threshold time that tells your machine to shut off?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
dogsarelife

Re: can you change the leak threshold time that tells your machine to shut off?

Post by dogsarelife » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:58 am

Pugsy wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:55 am
palerider wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:53 am
What battery?
Yeah, I was scratching my head on that one too.
Probably is talking about the power brick. They can go bad but I thought that when they did it was a permanent funeral and no coming back to life.
But then what I understand about power stuff would fit on my little fingernail. :lol:

To the OP....nothing you could have done to the power brick to harm it unless you repeatedly beat it against the wall or something.
Just unlucky...swap out the power bricks and cords and see if that resolves your issue.
Check cords carefully to make sure no loose wires or frayed anything.
That brick can go bad. It isn't a common occurrence though. Just happens.
Corrected my previous response, sorry I confused terms. By battery I meant the power supply unit. doesn't seem to be any problems since then. I wonder too about intermittent issues with the power supply unit and why it didn't just go kaput all at once. oh well.

the new power supply unit felt slightly warm this morning but not hot out of the ordinary. no warmer than I would expect,not like the other one.

<knocks on wood>

<prayer to keep the aliens away and send them back to Area 51>

sometimes in order to succeed it just takes one more try. and a lot of frustration along the way.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:23 am

Pugsy wrote:
palerider wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:53 am
What battery?
Yeah, I was scratching my head on that one too.
Probably is talking about the power brick. They can go bad but I thought that when they did it was a permanent funeral and no coming back to life.
But then what I understand about power stuff would fit on my little fingernail. :lol:
It's *possible* that the PS may have an intermittent fault, or it may have failing capacitors that lower it's power capacity, so when the unit wants too much juice, the PS just momentarily throws up it's little hands and says "I QUIT!"
Pugsy wrote:
To the OP....nothing you could have done to the power brick to harm it unless you repeatedly beat it against the wall or something.
Just unlucky...swap out the power bricks and cords and see if that resolves your issue.
Check cords carefully to make sure no loose wires or frayed anything.
That brick can go bad. It isn't a common occurrence though. Just happens.
Easy enough to check, just swap it out.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:27 am

dogsarelife wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:16 am
EDITED TO ADD: changed out the word "battery" for the more technical term power supply part/ brick
A "battery" is a source of stored energy, ready to use, and while it does supply power, it is not correct to call it a "power supply" in common terminology.

A "power supply" is typically referred to as something that supplies power to a device, after taking and conditioning power that it gets from the mains.. like you have to plug it into the wall outlet.

Ergo, since the power brick on your cpap has no stored energy and has to be plugged into the wall, it's not a 'battery', in the same way that your car is not a horse drawn carriage.

Am I to infer that you swapped out power supplies, and the new one is behaving better?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

dogsarelife

Post by dogsarelife » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:55 pm

palerider wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:23 am

It's *possible* that the PS may have an intermittent fault, or it may have failing capacitors that lower it's power capacity, so when the unit wants too much juice, the PS just momentarily throws up it's little hands and says "I QUIT!"

ah ok, I see what you're saying PR. thank you for educating me. also, referring to your other post on terminology, would it be the more precise term to say the adapter rather than the whole power supply unit?

Because only the adapter was hot was what I meant to say.

And yes, I did switch the power supply unit out and had no issues after that. Just checked and it worries me a little that the new adapter is still running warmer than I would like even though it's only connected to the aircurve and the surge protector. Warmer I should add, then the laptop adapter, which is also on and in constant use/constantly plugged in. and that makes me wonder if maybe this really is my AirCurve 10 issue after all?

Does it make sense to unplug the AirCurve 10 during the day to avoid any more issues with burning out the adapter?

sometimes in order to succeed it just takes one more try. and a lot of frustration along the way.

Jas_williams

Post by Jas_williams » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:03 pm

No need to unplug they are designed to be connected all of the time

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:02 pm

dogsarelife wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:55 pm
palerider wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:23 am

ah ok, I see what you're saying PR. thank you for educating me. also, referring to your other post on terminology, would it be the more precise term to say the adapter rather than the whole power supply unit?
"(power) adapter" and "power supply" are pretty much interchangeable terminology wise.
dogsarelife wrote:
Because only the adapter was hot was what I meant to say.

And yes, I did switch the power supply unit out and had no issues after that. Just checked and it worries me a little that the new adapter is still running warmer than I would like even though it's only connected to the aircurve and the surge protector. Warmer I should add, then the laptop adapter, which is also on and in constant use/constantly plugged in. and that makes me wonder if maybe this really is my AirCurve 10 issue after all?
They will run warm, they aren't ventilated, and they're not 100% efficient, so some of the wall power is lost to heat. "warm" is ok, "hot" could be a problem.. You can't really compare a laptop PS to a CPAP PS, because they both operate a greatly varying loads. My lappy has a 180 watt PS, but normally, when the lappy isn't doing anything, it's only pulling 15-20 watts, now, when it's really busy, converting video files or such, then the CPU gets hot, the fans speed up, and it pulls a lot more power out of the adapter, which gets quite a bit warmer.
dogsarelife wrote:
Does it make sense to unplug the AirCurve 10 during the day to avoid any more issues with burning out the adapter?
You *can*... but I don't bother to do it with mine. when the CPAP is in standby, it's pulling very little power, so the adapter is basically loafing, and should be cooler than when you first turn off the CPAP... check it before you go to sleep tonight.

dogsarelife

Post by dogsarelife » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:16 am

palerider wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:02 pm

You *can*... but I don't bother to do it with mine. when the CPAP is in standby, it's pulling very little power, so the adapter is basically loafing, and should be cooler than when you first turn off the CPAP... check it before you go to sleep tonight.
PR thanks for all the explanations. Adapter honestly feels pretty warm to me all the time :? so I think despite what you and jas_williams said, I might try leaving the thing plugged in for the first hour or two after I get up, so the machine has a chance to cool down and do its maintenance processes, but then after that I might do some disconnecting. Something's fishy but I doubt the DME will have any clue. Maybe Resmed help desk? Although when I called them about the AutoSet for her and asked about the extra algorithm they told me I was bananas so I doubt they will be all that helpful either :/

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:29 am

Don't unplug it immediately after using it.

The device has a cool down mode where it gently blows air through the system to blowoff water in the hose. You also may want to wait until data is uploaded if you use MyAir.

dogsarelife

Post by dogsarelife » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:58 am

Dog Slobber wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:29 am
Don't unplug it immediately after using it.

The device has a cool down mode where it gently blows air through the system to blowoff water in the hose. You also may want to wait until data is uploaded if you use MyAir.
thanks ds. That's why I wrote
I might try leaving the thing plugged in for the first hour or two after I get up, so the machine has a chance to cool down and do its maintenance processes, but then after that I might do some disconnecting.
and I don't use MyAir, find it pretty worthless actually.

I was on another OSA group on facebook, and people wrote in saying their used hours didn't match the amount of time they had been sleeping with their machinesm and that was when a ResMed person chimed in that every machine needs about 1 hour of cool down time for the processes you mentioned. So if you sleep with your machine 8 hours a night, for a week then the run time will say, instead of 56 hours, 63 or so? so that's how I learned the importance of letting the machine cool down!

THere were also, however, people in that group who had clearly received used machines that the DME was fobbing off as new- run times showing 400 hours the first day they had machines. Moral of the story - DMEs! <shakes fist>, our xpaps need some cool down, and OSA groups are a godsend for learning these tidbits.