CPAP newbie, question about pressure increase

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jillk

Re: CPAP newbie, question about pressure increase

Post by jillk » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:06 am

Awww, thanks, Bednbones! It's hard to find people who care about this.

The appt was *ok*. Not great but ok. He tuned the machine down to 12.5 max and I got a new mask, and we set a follow up for two weeks, which this this Tuesday. I guess in retrospect that was a decent thing to try. The good news is that I love the AirFit P10 and there are zero leaks and I find it very comfortable and absolutely silent. I'm very happy with that. I didn't think that headgear would work at all, after seeing it and reading some reviews, but it's good for me.

I know that people said I didn't have a leak problem before, but to me if I get a noisy leak and it wakes me up, then isn't that yet another thing disrupting my sleep? even if in the grand scheme of the night the leaking was minutes not hours.

I'll update after Tuesday's appointment, thanks for caring. The lowest number has been 10.something. One night in the past 2 weeks, it was actually HIGHER than my diagnosing home sleep study where I had no CPAP!! I'm not sure what they do if I'm all over the map and not that close to <5. My central apnea average is not usually higher than 50% of total apneas, so I'm sad if they can't pursue ASV because of that.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:22 am

I wonder if your MD, like too many others, doesn't understand how the machines work... did he have a reason for lowering the max (rather than, e.g. raising the min. pressure)? Seems a bit counterproductive.

I hope you use the machine for naps... sleeping is sleeping. :)

jillk

Post by jillk » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:53 pm

He's a DO, but supposed to be the best sleep "doc" in this town. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for another visit. I believe that the rationale was that the AHI was getting worse as the pressure increased, as well as more waking up from leaking. Either way though, higher pressure or lower, my numbers aren't great with an average of 15 or so still.

Good point -- I may open up another question about how to switch doctors, how does that work, referrals, insurance, etc.

DEFINITELY CPAP during the naps, as shown in the results. In fact, one coming up in an hour or so!!

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:56 pm

Sorry, in Canada here so don't know the routine, but ask your insce. co. if you use one.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:12 pm

Reducing the max pressure is not going to reduce your AHI...What exactly are your Min and Max pressures? Did your DO take your SD card and look at your data from the past couple weeks before he made the pressure changes?