This really bugs me

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
zorki1c

This really bugs me

Post by zorki1c » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:38 pm

A few months ago i switched from a ResMed S9 to the A10. The A10 has a modem that transmits reports on the previous nght and you can view the results on a phone app with 100 being a perfect score. I seldom get 100 - usually 99. The reason? If you remove your mask more than once a night they knock off a point.
Im 74. Like most people my age I have to get up during the night to visit the bathroom. Often I make two trips. This has nothing whatsoever to do with the cpap machine. It has to do with the fact that I HAVE TO WHIZ!!
Ticks me off.

Goofproof

Re: This really bugs me

Post by Goofproof » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:45 pm

It's just a useless number from a program, not a good program at that, add a 1 to the number, live happy. tThe number doesn't mean much, the XPAP Police won't come to your door, the NSA FBI, maybe! Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:58 pm

zorki1c wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:38 pm
A few months ago i switched from a ResMed S9 to the A10. The A10 has a modem that transmits reports on the previous nght and you can view the results on a phone app with 100 being a perfect score. I seldom get 100 - usually 99. The reason? If you remove your mask more than once a night they knock off a point.
Im 74. Like most people my age I have to get up during the night to visit the bathroom. Often I make two trips. This has nothing whatsoever to do with the cpap machine. It has to do with the fact that I HAVE TO WHIZ!!
Ticks me off.
So, quit looking at the stupid "score"

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:07 pm

99 is a very good score. I am happy when I achieve it.

Consider that score something to rejoice over, since a reported score that high is meant to be positive reinforcement, a high A, instead of a mere "pass," and certainly nothing near some sort of fail.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Becca59

Post by Becca59 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:31 pm

I stopped looking at my scores. It got boring. I figure if my doctor gets concerned, I will care then. By the way, I had my initial sleep study in April of last year, so just passed my 1 year anniversary of wonderful APAP use. It only took me 6 different masks before I found the one I could tolerate which is Resmed F30. I was expecting an annual follow up with my sleep study clinic. Does this happen? Or do you just live your life without any more follow ups? I can't even tell if it's working like it should. No burst of energy, I still have trouble sleeping sometimes, not quite ready to conquer the world like I was promised by my sleep study technician.
AuntDucky

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:39 pm

Recently, I finished filling my second notebook with detailed data from the LCD screen.
With this third notebook, I now only enter hours, pressure, AHI, and my fasting glucose.
All the info I ever needed was on the screen each morning.
Sleepyhead/OSCAR is OK for those who need it, but for me it would be a mite OCD.
Simple is good.

Last edited by chunkyfrog on Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:42 pm

Happy anniversary!

No doc or clinic will ever care about your sleep or breathing more than you. So don't depend on them.

If you want full benefit, tweaking by use of more detailed patient software may help you--if you still want to conquer the world, that is.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:35 pm

zorki1c wrote:
Ticks me off.
You should be old enough to sometime in your life have seen or used a "chamber pot".
Well, think out of the box and keep a plastic bucket near the side of your bed for those moments when you need to go and you won't have to shut off your machine or disconnect your mask.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

SDBud

Post by SDBud » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:56 pm

zorki1c wrote:
Ticks me off.
I used to have that problem. FloMax (Tamsulosin) fixed that problem, as well as a 'trucker bottle' next to my bed for a few months until the drug started working.
Airsense 10 Autoset
AirTouch and AirFit F10 masks
:roll:

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:42 pm

Wulfman... wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:35 pm
zorki1c wrote:
Ticks me off.
You should be old enough to sometime in your life have seen or used a "chamber pot".
Well, think out of the box and keep a plastic bucket near the side of your bed for those moments when you need to go and you won't have to shut off your machine or disconnect your mask.

Den

Truckers have been known to use bottles. I add Saw Palmetto 450 mg. three times daily + wprking XPAP treatment. Jim Works for me!
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:33 pm

Are you applying for a university program that requires a perfect score on the CPAP? :wink:

Metaphor:
I have a daughter who had to choose which university she would attend from among 6 to which she was admitted. She could NOT make a decision and the deadline is midnight tonight. I finally wormed out of her what was stopping her. In high school every semester was a game of chicken. 6 classes with A's, 1 class with a D and threatening an F. Every darn semester (different subjects, including her best subjects, depending on the semester). I used to go Atilla the Mom on her about that one class because I wanted to preserve her college options. And even with C's and D's (no F's, thankfully) she has over a 4.0 GPA thanks to honors and International Baccalaureate classes that boosted some grades by an entire grade point (she's a smart kid with a high score on the SAT as well). She was afraid she'd do that in college and fail college. That's why she couldn't commit.

I can't quite get her to understand that college is a whole other experience. Fail a class? Take it again. Don't like a professor, drop the class, take it from someone else. Not doing well, take an incomplete and finish it on your own timeline. Need help? attend office hours or go to the tutoring center. A smart kid like her will not fail college. And since she doesn't plan to apply for an impacted medical career or law school, nobody in the real world cares about her college GPA. But we can't quite wipe that fear of failure out for her (my fault for putting so much pressure on her in high school, I think :( ).

Somewhere, lurking in you is that overachieving, fear of failure HS kid too. Time to let it go. You won't fail CPAP, because a perfect score is not the goal--your health is. And a 99 is not a failure to achieve a score of 100. It's an indicator that you are top in the class in managing your health. Take pride, let go of fear. Let it go.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Wed May 01, 2019 3:27 am

Becca59 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:31 pm
I was expecting an annual follow up with my sleep study clinic. Does this happen? Or do you just live your life without any more follow ups?
I have never seen a sleep doc. My primary physician writes my scripts. He/she does whatever I gently ask for. I'm in charge of my cpap therapy. If I had unsolvable issues, I would see a doc in a New York minute. It's your choice, but if things are going good, numbers etc.... I wouldn't waste the money.

Sheriff

zorki1c

Post by zorki1c » Wed May 01, 2019 9:40 pm

You folks sound just like my wife (also a cpap used) who tells me, "why do you care?" Actually I posted half in jest. The numbers aren't that big a deal --I,ve been on cpap more than five years. The one thing I know is it's really difficult for me to sleep now if I'm not using it.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed May 01, 2019 11:24 pm

zorki1c wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 9:40 pm
The one thing I know is it's really difficult for me to sleep now if I'm not using it.
Frankly, if you were sleeping *before* you got it, you wouldn't have gotten it.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Thu May 02, 2019 12:34 pm

zorki1c wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 9:40 pm
You folks sound just like my wife (also a cpap used) who tells me, "why do you care?" Actually I posted half in jest. The numbers aren't that big a deal --I,ve been on cpap more than five years. The one thing I know is it's really difficult for me to sleep now if I'm not using it.
I really wanted to post a picture of a 100 this morning to give you a hard time, but the best I could do last night was a 99:

snip.jpg
snip.jpg (27.15 KiB) Viewed 2170 times
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)