New Addition to the Forum

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
MidnightProwler

Re: New Addition to the Forum

Post by MidnightProwler » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:48 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:35 am
Were you awake very much last night? I see at least one break in therapy so I know of at least one.

The 00:45 cluster....do you think you might have been awake then?

Try 11.5 cm pressure tonight.
I often flop back and forth side-to-side during the night, and I remember doing so but not when. If I awake enough (like for the bathroom), I'll turn the machine off for a little while. The Pillow sleep app suggests I was awake a before 1 am (a terrible graph scale) and for a bit before 2 am, when I turned off the machine. (I can't seem to get the audio recording to work.)

11.5 for tonight it is!

Pillow Feb 22-23.jpg

Additional Comments: 30 day A-Trial using 4 min and 15 max over. Machine chose 10.5

MidnightProwler

Post by MidnightProwler » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:14 pm

Hi,

I'm back with some more data (two nights) at the new pressure setting of 11.5 (up from 10.5). I'm thinking of going to 12.5 as the clusters of events seem to occur when I am awake or in REM. For example, using the Pillow and SnoreLab apps, on Feb 26 I rolled over at 2:34:23 am and coughed at 2:34:36 am (which I remember doing). I awoke at 4:15 am and don't think I fell back asleep (smart watch app says I was awake). On Feb 27, I rolled over at 12:22 and coughed 30 seconds later. The Pillow app indicates that I was in rem sleep from 2-2:30 am and from ~3:30 am to ~4:30 am during those clusters of events.

Seems like a lot of false positives, but maybe go to 12.5 to clear of the ones which occur when I am "sleeping." Does sound reasonable? I am having my first visit since starting on the CPAP with my sleep doctor in a week and a half, and want to have a robust discussion.

Thank you!

SH 2-26-2019.png
SH 2-27-2019.png

Additional Comments: 30 day A-Trial using 4 min and 15 max over. Machine chose 10.5

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:41 pm

Be aware that no amount of increasing the pressure is going to reduce any awake flagged events...those aren't real...the airway isn't really closed off despite the machine telling you it is. If you know you were awake you have to mentally remove those events from your evaluation of pressure needs.

Now if you are for sure you were asleep...and maybe in REM or on your back...more pressure is the fix but don't go increasing the pressure and expecting the awake flagging to stop...it won't.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:05 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:41 pm
Be aware that no amount of increasing the pressure is going to reduce any awake flagged events...those aren't real...the airway isn't really closed off despite the machine telling you it is.
Well, the airway might be closed, it's normal to close off the airway sometimes when holding breath... But as you say, those don't count, because you're not asleep, no matter what the event is flagged as.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

nicholasjh1

Post by nicholasjh1 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:45 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Be aware that no amount of increasing the pressure is going to reduce any awake flagged events...those aren't real...the airway isn't really closed off despite the machine telling you it is. If you know you were awake you have to mentally remove those events from your evaluation of pressure needs.

Now if you are for sure you were asleep...and maybe in REM or on your back...more pressure is the fix but don't go increasing the pressure and expecting the awake flagging to stop...it won't.
What does cause the awake flagging? I don't seem to get any anymore. I used to when I first started. I've never understood why so many people get awake apneas. I sometimes have the mask on an hour before I actually go to sleep, but nary an apnea happens during that time.
Instead of Sleep apnea it should be called "Sleep deprivation, starving of oxygen, being poisoned by high CO2 levels, damaging the body and brain while it's supposed to be healing so that you constantly get worse and can never get healthy Apnea"

MidnightProwler

Post by MidnightProwler » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:13 pm

Pugsy wrote:

Thank you! I'll try and be careful to not count awake events. In my case, I normally pause after breathing out and that is what I think the machine is counting.

I am hoping that between the two sleep apps (SnoreLab and Pillow) help identify when I might be awakre. I just wish they had better export functions so i could overlay their data onto the SleepyHead charts.

Cheers