ResMed AirFit N30i nasal mask now available at cpap.com

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
RogerSC

Re: ResMed AirFit N30i nasal mask now available at cpap.com

Post by RogerSC » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:46 pm

First night impressions...seemed much quieter than the Dreamwear to me, that's a real plus. Hard to pick the right size nasal cushion for me...the gauge indicated Small, but the Medium was more comfortable, and sealed okay. You kind of settle the cushion onto your nose until it doesn't leak. Once in position, it seems to stay fairly well. My leak number for the night on the daily report was 9, really not great (but not horrible), but I don't remember leaks waking me up. The venting is marginal, not noisy but does have the stream (not diffuse) effect that blows on blankets, my arms, you know. They could have easily made the venting more diffuse. Better than the Swift FX for venting, though. The Swift FX vent stream makes even more noise when it's hitting something. Not sure I'm in sync with nasal masks yet, though, so used to nasal pillows. Seemed pretty comfortable, except for the feeling when sleeping on my side from the hard plastic that holds the cushion pushing into my face around my nose. Maybe I'll get used to it. Didn't sleep well, but that's typical of me with a new mask *smile*, nothing new there.

Will try it again tonight, maybe looser will be better as far as the plastic nasal cushion holder pressing into my face. Also might play more with the small size cushion, although I use medium in every other mask I've tried *smile*.

fmj13

Post by fmj13 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:13 pm

Tried it briefly last night, then went back to Dreamwear. I don't like the hard plastic on the nose pillows.

djont57

Post by djont57 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:43 pm

fmj13 wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:13 pm
Tried it briefly last night, then went back to Dreamwear. I don't like the hard plastic on the nose pillows.
Try loosening the headgear. I don't even feel the hard plastic, I think it adds much needed stability.

debbieo64

Post by debbieo64 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:36 pm

I’ve had the N30i mask a week and really love it! I’d been using the Dreamwear mask. In reading the posts there seems to be some confusion. The N30i is a nasal cushion mask, not a nasal pillow mask.

First off the top, the smell of a new Dreamware nasal cushion is strong and awful; I hate it! All the Resmed masks including this one don’t have that strong obnoxious smell. The mask is more sustantial and sturdier than the Dreamwear mask. The Dreamwear mask is flimsy. The plastic on the cushion works well with the silicone because when you wash or wipe down the cushion, the cushion is not twisting like the Dreamwear. The cushion cradles the nose better and the mask is quist. I like that you can remove the elbow from the top of the mask frame. I’ve been using the CPAP therapy more consistantly. No leaking. I’m a side sleeper, no prblems. Very comfortable. Everyone is different, but this is my mask of choice.

eville

Post by eville » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:56 pm

A little follow up, I'm enjoying the N30i more. I feel like I get more air. Sometimes when I first lay down with my dreamwear, I need to take some mouth breaths to get settled. With the N30i I feel like I have more air (maybe less resitance?)

My girlfriend has been working out of town and I took a trip to visit her this weekend. I hooked the N30i up to my AirMini and it seemed a little loud. My GF also complained that she could feel air blowing on her from the pillow. I switched back to the DW for the rest of the weekend and we were both fine. Last night at home I switched to the N30i. I almost want to try attaching some gauze in front of the holes on the N30i and see if it will deflect some of the air movement....
Steve

Snoring and Snorting

Post by Snoring and Snorting » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:02 pm

I am totally with you on the exhaust breeze coming from the front of the mask/pillows. I tend to put my hands at the end of my pillow and thus the mask blows right on them. Since it is cold in the bedroom this means my hands freeze. I have been tucking a bit of extra sheet around the mask front to form a blockade against that breeze.

If you come up with a solution let me know. Otherwise I like the N30i.
Snoring/Snorting/Choking and an overall Hazard :shock:

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:23 pm

debbieo64 wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:36 pm
I’ve had the N30i mask a week and really love it! I’d been using the Dreamwear mask. In reading the posts there seems to be some confusion. The N30i is a nasal cushion mask, not a nasal pillow mask.
ResMed is confusing the Nasal Mask/Cushion/Pillow classifications further by referring to N30i as a Nasal Cradle.

weroberts75

Post by weroberts75 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:22 am

Dog Slobber wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:23 pm
debbieo64 wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:36 pm
ResMed is confusing the Nasal Mask/Cushion/Pillow classifications further by referring to N30i as a Nasal Cradle.
Actually, Philips Respironics started that when they developed what they called the OptiLife with Cradle Cushion.
ResMed is just copycatting terminology.

I have tried the N30i for about a week now, and before that I used the DreamWear nasal mask, and I can report no significant difference in leaks or AHI between the two masks.
The ResMed N30i vents more air than the DreamWear, and so might need a higher humidity setting, but really the differences between the two masks boil down to user preferences and comfort.

shlinder

Post by shlinder » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:52 am

eville wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:56 pm
My girlfriend has been working out of town and I took a trip to visit her this weekend. I hooked the N30i up to my AirMini and it seemed a little loud.
I thought you couldn't use the N30i with the AirMini. How did you do that?

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:49 am

shlinder wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:52 am
eville wrote:
My girlfriend has been working out of town and I took a trip to visit her this weekend. I hooked the N30i up to my AirMini and it seemed a little loud.
You can get third party adapters to convert from the AirMini's proprietary connector to standard tubing sizes.

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Connec ... B07HXRR8VP

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:13 pm

I just opened my wallet and ordered it :o . I have read all of your great and some not so great reviews and decided since I can't use the new strapless mask I would go for this one. Here's hoping it does the trick for me too. Will post my thoughts once I receive mine in the mail...…. anywhere from a week to three :( .
Cheers
Nan
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

shlinder

Post by shlinder » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:13 pm

Dog Slobber wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:49 am
shlinder wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:52 am
eville wrote:
You can get third party adapters to convert from the AirMini's proprietary connector to standard tubing sizes.

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Connec ... B07HXRR8VP
This one is for the tube at the machine end. Is there one for after the HumidX? The mask end of the tube? I would like to still have HumidX.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:58 am

shlinder wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:13 pm

This one is for the tube at the machine end. Is there one for after the HumidX? The mask end of the tube? I would like to still have HumidX.
I'm not sure how easy that can be done.

The HumidX works by capturing moisture from our exhaled breath, for it to work properly it must be on a real short tube. Masks that aren't designed for the AirMini probably don't have a short enough tube.

Take a look at the pics of the P10 Nasal Pillow that comes with the AirMini, notice how much shorted the tube is from the mask to the HumidX, than the normal p10.

frapilu

Post by frapilu » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:32 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:27 pm
frapilu wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:01 pm
From what I see on ResMed’s page, they recommend that women use a small frame and men use the standard. I currently use the Swift FX for Her but I’m tempted to try this.
I wasn't crazy about the DreamWear under the nose cushion mask but not because of the frame or anything like that.
I just wasn't used to air blowing anywhere on my nose and it just felt like it was leaking...that little bit of air at the nostril opening.
I know it wasn't leaking but it sure felt like it because for years with using nasal pillows...if you feel air on the nose somewhere then it is leaking. It was hard for my brain to re adapt to "okay, a little air with this mask isn't a leak".
For sure I would go with the small frame...even the small DreamWear frame was none to snug on me. I had to add some fleece to make it a little more snug.

This mask doesn't interest me enough to fork over my own money but maybe later I will see if my DME has it.
Let my insurance buy it and if I don't care for it...then they will let me swap it for my P10. It's time for my 6 month new mask allowance.
I have zero money in my mad mask fund for such experiments right now....Spent nearly $6 K on the truck...got it back last Friday...and 4 hours later it went back...and picked it up today...and the damn thing still smokes like a mosquito fogger. Sigh.
Just saw this thread update in my junk mail. Grrr. I haven’t tried it yet but I’m still thinking of it.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:45 am

Mine arrived in the mail yesterday and I tried it out last night after I gave it a quick wash and made sure it was dry before I put it on.. I only woke up a few times to re-adjust it but otherwise I like it very much. I have one question though….the vent at the top of the head, I don't see why its there????????? In my mind (and its old, my mind that is) Why have a vent were the fresh air comes IN and another on the nose piece where the air vent OUT. Seems to me that the vent on the top vents out fresh air from the machine before it ever gets to your air that is vented from your yucky breathe. Does anyone understand what I mean... seems to me now I'm confused :? :shock: .
I think I do need to somehow attach a small hose to the mask since I run my hose overhead with a hose buddy and it pulls a bit. Have to do some experimenting on that one, but over all, I do like this mask.

Cheers
Nan
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.