Advice: Backup full-face mask for a cold?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Nanuk

Advice: Backup full-face mask for a cold?

Post by Nanuk » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:54 am

Just experienced my first major cold with my CPAP!

I use a nasal mask, but there were a couple of nights I wished I had a full-face mask to mouth breathe in compensation for really full sinuses. (Though I am sure I had clearer passageways in the morning because of the CPAP.)

Does anyone here change up their therapy for comfort during a cold? If so, any tips?
Symptoms for years // Diagnosis & Treatment start Summer 2018

Dog Slobber

Re: Advice: Backup full-face mask for a cold?

Post by Dog Slobber » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:38 am

I haven't been able to use a FF mask and was just dreading my first cold.

When it finally happened, and it was one of the worst colds I'd ever had at least congestion wise. It was no big deal using my nasal pillows. In fact I found nighttime breathing with the nasal pillows easier than daytime breathing.

Pure speculation:
With a traditional mask that completely covers the nose, CPAP applies equal pressure to both the outside and inside of the nose and nasal passages, resulting in a net-zero effect on the nose as far as pressure is concerned.

But with a Nasal Pillow you have pressure in the nasal passages, with no pressure pushing back on the outside, resulting in slight inflation of the nasal passages. It may not be a lot, but it doesn't have to be.

No pressure point on the bridge of the nose doesn't hurt either.

The Dreamwear FF mask, would also offer the same advantage.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:48 am

In over 9 plus years using cpap I have had my share of colds...I have never not been able to use my nasal pillow mask.
I get my nose open just a little with the help of whatever medication helps...I crank up the humidity...and I use the pillow mask and most often wake up breathing better through my nose in the morning than when I went to bed.
My first 6 years of therapy I didn't even own a full face mask to use "just in case I had a bad cold"...I simply couldn't find one I liked that I could even sleep with so I didn't have one.

I know another cpap user who has been on cpap for 22 years...nasal pillow user...like me has never had to used (or wanted to use) a FFM when he has a cold. He does like me...get the nose open just a little and crank up the humidity...and sleep the best you can when you are sick. It's not great but it wouldn't be great even if you weren't using cpap.

So not everyone immediately goes to a FFM when they have a cold....but a lot of people do and that's fine.
This is going to come down to your own personal preference as to what YOU feel works best for YOU.
I do now have a full face mask in my arsenal for "just in case" times...the DreamWear full face mask...but I have yet to actually use it out of need. I used it for a week just to see if I could even sleep with it...and I can and it went to the stash box...and hasn't been touched since then...and I have had some colds happen since I got it.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

juaquin

Post by juaquin » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:53 pm

I actually just experienced my first cold on CPAP. For two nights I was unable to use my P10 nasal pillows due to congestion. I had tried the F30 but they don't offer a Large and the Medium did not fit right for me. I also tried the Dreamwear FFM, but leaks were an issue and the non-diffused vents can be a pain.

I settled on the Airtouch F20 (with memory foam and QuietAir elbow vent) and it worked great - no leaks, diffused vent. It will take some time to get used to a FFM, so your first few nights won't be great, but you'll be able to get some sleep with effective therapy.

Islandwoman

Post by Islandwoman » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:57 pm

I just use a drop of eucalyptus on a bit of cotton face wipe outside my air intake. They are flat and stay in place. Usually only takes a few minutes to at least partially clear my nose. Same Circadiance advance cloth mask.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:12 pm

Nanuk wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:54 am
Does anyone here change up their therapy for comfort during a cold? If so, any tips?
I do whatever I can to open up my nasal passages during the night, neti pot, sometimes real sudafed, a squirt or two of afrin up each side (but ONLY at night, don't use it during the day, and you won't get that terrible rebound effect... the 12 hours of 'off' time keep you from getting 'addicted')

I also usually up the humidity setting (admittedly, that's usually at zero).

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:23 pm

I wear the RespCare Hybrid FFM (click on it in my signature to view). It has pillows and covers the mouth, so no loss of therapy air. I can breathe thru my nose or mouth as needed without waking up. Might try it.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

Nanuk

Post by Nanuk » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:44 pm

I never even thought that nasal pillows would do the trick: but having less pressure on the outside of the nose would make a huge difference.

I appreciate all the tips! I’m on the tail end of this thing, and now will be looking into nasal pillow options to try.
Symptoms for years // Diagnosis & Treatment start Summer 2018

naschol

Post by naschol » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:52 am

I also use nasal pillows that seem to work pretty well if my nose is able to be at least partially cleared before putting on my mask.

But, if I am really stuffed up, I use an attachment for my old Waterpik that I got on Amazon - 4pcs Wyfun Nose Washing for Waterpik Oral irrigator, This cleans out my nose and sinuses just before I go to bed. You could use a nettipot, but that is sometimes too passive for a really blocked nose. The active nasal irrigator doesn't "blast" everything out, but does use a gentle pressure. It works great! I sometimes use it during the day, too, if I find myself getting too stuffy. Don't forget to use pure salt in the water - straight water will burn.

Then, in both instances and because we are not to put anything but water in our humidifiers, I put a drop or two of essential oil (usually eucalyptus, menthol or a blend) into the end of my hose. This seems to keep my nose open quite well. and so far, has not caused any damage to my hose.