Gabapentin/Neurontin

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
nabs

Re: Gabapentin/Neurontin

Post by nabs » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:43 pm

I've been taking it for 6+ years to counter insomnia from my depression medication. I like that it's not a sleeping pill as those I don't sleep well with. I don't know if it helps me stay asleep (I'm in a battle with my CPAP masks), but I can't fall asleep without it.

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:17 pm

herefishy wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:50 pm
Both.
ah, thanks for that. i don't seem to have any trouble falling asleep. staying asleep is a whole 'nother kettle of fish! :)
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:19 pm

nabs wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:43 pm
I've been taking it for 6+ years to counter insomnia from my depression medication. I like that it's not a sleeping pill as those I don't sleep well with. I don't know if it helps me stay asleep (I'm in a battle with my CPAP masks), but I can't fall asleep without it.
no and i don't think i'd expect it to. having "the alien on your face" is a whole different ball game.

still, good to hear from another user.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

C-Pop

Post by C-Pop » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:44 pm

I was prescribed Gabapentin for a good long time for neuropathy. I didn't notice any change in my sleep. But, as they say, "Look, a whole data point!"

As far as Gabapentin being used to address sleep problems due to alcoholism, I remember that it was being investigated for the possibility that it could directly be therapeutic for alcoholism, so that would confound the situation some.

uphill

Post by uphill » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:14 pm

I've been taking gabapentin for about two months for PLMD, due to tremendous fatigue despite good bi-pap results. Had 38 arousals per hour from PLMD showing up in a sleep study. At first, I took 150 mg. It helped so much--slept through the night and felt more rested (not well rested, but better at least). Then it had less of an effect-- I had more awakenings and even have taken hours to fall asleep some nights (which didn't happen before). So now I'm at 200 mg. And the same thing is happening. My doctor tells me even 200 is a very low dose--for pain, she said, some people take up to 3200 mg. a day in divided doses. But I'm concerned that if I go up to 300 mg., the same thing will happen--I'll end up having to go up to 400, and so on. She said that most people find a dose that works and stay there, and perhaps I haven't yet found my dose.

I wish you luck with it and will say it's definitely worth a try. Because it makes me drowsy at my usual waking time in the morning, I have to plan to be in bed an hour longer than I used to. But the increased energy is well worth that. I take it about an hour before I go to sleep.

Hope this is useful.

uphill

Post by uphill » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:17 pm

Oh, and because my iron is at the low end of normal, at my doc's suggestion, I've just started taking iron. Low iron is linked to RLS, though higher iron may or may not help resolve it, per a variety of studies using different forms of iron and so on (not much uniformity). I do have more energy. My level is 29, in case that's helpful to know. Level of 45 or above is what people aim for when treating RLS.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:00 pm

To check iron levels, doctors order a serum (blood) ferritin test. This test can show normal levels despite diminished brain iron in patients. In order to measure the brain iron, cerebrospinal fluid must be obtained by lumbar puncture. Alternately, an MRI must be performed to show decreased iron concentrations in the substantia nigra, one of the primary brain regions where dopamine-producing cells reside.

Good luck trying to get your insurance company to approve either one of those tests. It's unlikely they will.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/neurolo ... auses.html
Last edited by ChicagoGranny on Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:33 am

I was recently given Gabapentin for neuropathy. It makes me sleepy. Its fine at night but makes it hard to function during the day. According to my neurologist I need to keep the levels up during the day too for it to be effective. So far I'm not thrilled with it.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:18 pm

Cynmatthes wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:33 am
I was recently given Gabapentin for neuropathy. It makes me sleepy. Its fine at night but makes it hard to function during the day. According to my neurologist, I need to keep the levels up during the day too for it to be effective. So far I'm not thrilled with it.
What's your dosage? Gabapentin prescriptions range from 300 mg per day to 3200 mg.

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:30 pm

She prescribed me 100mg capsules and told me to work up to three, three times a day and then go higher if I need too. Just call her. So far I can take 3 at night but only 1-2 in the morning and 1 at lunch if I want to function. So far doesn't seem to be helping the nerve pain much but sure knocks me right out for sleeping. (Whick is kind of nice) Between that and the N20 mask I've had more sleep than I have in the last 20 years.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:49 am

Cynmatthes wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:30 pm
Cynmatthes
I'm wondering how you would feel about only taking the three at bedtime?

If you do decide to reduce the dosage, do it very carefully. Some people have withdrawal symptoms. You might need to taper down.

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:46 am

To help the nerve pain in my hands I have to keep the levels up during the day too, according to my neurologist. I don't see much of an improvment but i want to give it a chance. My feet are completely numb but my hands still feel the zaping electricity feeling and it is painful. I hope my hands do not go completely numb as well. :cry: that scares me more than anything.

squid13

Post by squid13 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:44 pm

I'm numb from the hips down both legs and I tried Gabapentin and it helped a little but switch to Lyrica to get the best results. If you try Lyrica be prepared for some weight gain and If you try to come of it, come down in small stages.

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV