Technical differences between CPAP and travel CPAP?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DramaLlama

Technical differences between CPAP and travel CPAP?

Post by DramaLlama » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:39 pm

Hi all!
I'm relatively new to CPAP and have adjusted well to my Dreamstation CPAP machine.

While on a recent vacation, my friend showed me his "Travel CPAP" and I was blown away at how tiny it was.

I looked it up and it is cheaper than my regular CPAP machine too!

I started wondering, why the home machines are so big and complicated if they can fit everything into that tiny travel size. Do the travel models lack features? Is the therapy it provides "just good enough for short term use"?
Obviously there's no humidifier built in, but it's available separately, and is still much smaller LOL

I was just wondering why I wouldn't by a tiny CPAP and use it always.

Thanks!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Technical differences between CPAP and travel CPAP?

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:16 pm

Size is the ONLY advantage.
Tiny machines are noisier, and hydration options are limited.
Some are restrictive on what mask you can use.
My machine CAME WITH a nice travel case, which has a strap across the back,
so it rides on top of my wheelie bag.
Loading up a shoulder bag can result in shoulder damage.
Pain makes me grumpy.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:29 pm

DramaLlama wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:39 pm
Hi all!
I'm relatively new to CPAP and have adjusted well to my Dreamstation CPAP machine.

While on a recent vacation, my friend showed me his "Travel CPAP" and I was blown away at how tiny it was.

I started wondering, why the home machines are so big and complicated if they can fit everything into that tiny travel size. Do the travel models lack features? Is the therapy it provides "just good enough for short term use"?
Obviously there's no humidifier built in, but it's available separately, and is still much smaller LOL

Thanks!
Fairly quiet and well functioning travel sized machines are very new. There's been a couple other brands around, one didn't have an auto model (I believe) the other had one... but both are noisy.

Time marches on, technology progresses, electronics get more powerful and smaller...

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:14 pm

DramaLlama wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:39 pm
Hi all!

Thanks!
Borrow his tiny unit and try it overnight....VERY NOISY..little insulation. No software to monitor therapy.

Stom

Post by Stom » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:46 pm

When my RT found out I have no DME coverage and I was going to have to pay for my PAP machine myself, she suggested I buy a travel machine. I think that was because insurance doesn't cover travel machines, so why wouldn't I want one that does both? Especially since the prices are similar?

Seems like a good idea, except as has been noted above, the travel machine I'd be interested in, because it offers the same APAP treatment algorithms as the A10 Autoset they trialed me on, is the ResMed AirMini. The AirMini is noiser. It doesn't have the option of a traditional humidifier, mask choice is limited to 3 modified resmed masks, and the FF mask doesn't have the option of a humidifier disk. The AirMini doesn't take an SD card, so I can't use Sleepyhead to view and monitor my high resolution data. And you have to use a cell phone to use the AirMini's features. It doesn't have a built in screen.

For someone who isn't sensitive to noise, who doesn't mind the limited choice of modified masks, and doesn't use Sleepyhead, the AirMini could be a great choice.
Last edited by Stom on Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Official Foe™ on @Palerider's public list of foes. ;-)

Rules to live by: Be wary of anyone boasting their behavior is like that of a fictional sociopath.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:57 am

I am sure the DME has sizeable markup on the already very spendy Airmini.

SarahB

Post by SarahB » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:16 am

I have the Transcend travel CPAP. It's a great little machine, nice and quiet. There's no display panel, but that isn't a problem to me.
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset. Mask: Resmed Airfit N20 nasal mask

Holden4th

Post by Holden4th » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:33 am

SarahB wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:16 am
I have the Transcend travel CPAP. It's a great little machine, nice and quiet. There's no display panel, but that isn't a problem to me.
So how do you make changes to your settings? I believe you have to plug the machine into your PC.

SarahB

Post by SarahB » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:31 am

Yes, I need to connect the machine to my laptop to upload and view sleep data but I'm not able to alter the settings. As it's an auto machine that isn't really an issue.

It was sent out to me with the settings I requested when I bought it. I believe it has to be sent back to Intus Healthcare to have settings altered. I once contacted them asking if the lower pressure could be raised slightly. What they did was to look at my data and discuss my needs. At their advice I left the settings as they were. I was very impressed with the level of support I received.
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset. Mask: Resmed Airfit N20 nasal mask

Holden4th

Post by Holden4th » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:28 am

My understanding, if you have the installation disk, is that you can make the changes yourself.

rick blaine

Post by rick blaine » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:49 am

Hi SarahB,

It's worth reminding people on this forum that the CPAP dealer Intus Healthcare is located in Reading, England. People with the Transcend device in other countries would need to find out their appropriate advisor.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:56 am

rick blaine wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:49 am
Hi SarahB,

It's worth reminding people on this forum that the CPAP dealer Intus Healthcare is located in Reading, England. People with the Transcend device in other countries would need to find out their appropriate advisor.
Good catch, RB.

bierhere

Post by bierhere » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:46 pm

Travel machines draw less power at least my AirMini does compared to Airsense even with humidifier off. So if you are using with battery slightly better battery life

zorki1c

Post by zorki1c » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:27 pm

I've hauled full-size CPAPS all over the world and it's really not a big deal. Airlines don't count one against your carry on bag limit. The full-sized units are quiet and I have a humidifier. Can't see why one would want to pay a chunk of money for a machine that isn't really any more convenient.

billbolton

Post by billbolton » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:23 am

zorki1c wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:27 pm
Airlines don't count one against your carry on bag limit.
That's the case if you are flying to/from the USA, but if you are flying elsewhere, FAA regulations don't apply.

There is no global airline flight exemption for xPAP devices in terms of being counted within carry-on allowances.