sleeping w/mouth open

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
becktrev

Re: Tape

Post by becktrev » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:28 pm

Offerocker wrote: Sounds like a "Class Act" deserving of "The Gong Show"
Not at all - I wrote that as addendum to the mouth breathing bit.
We all experienced it no doubt at the beginning - the mouth-air passage opens and pressure from the nose rushes out. The result is the feeling of panic if the bit at the back (epiglottis?) isn't closed.
Your partner comes in and says something - you reply with a few grunts to show "I can't talk."
It was quite an experience to discover, you can keep the air passage closed and still access the food passage to drink something without having to take off the mask. Maybe logical - but I was quite a while before I discovered it.

Offerocker

Post by Offerocker » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:28 pm

Becktrev:

I did not intend any disrespect.

It was the 'visual' that reminded me of that old tv program.

I agree, we learn to do MANY things as a result of our 'gear'...my husband is now understanding the tones of my grunting. The sign language takes too long!

Again, my apologies

jeepdoctor

Post by jeepdoctor » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:00 pm

I tried a chin strap but it was worthless.

Tape is the best answer for me. I am using 2" Cloth Surgical tape by Dynarex Corp, Orangeburg, NY 10962. The adhesive is not as aggressive as 3M Micropore Paper Tape so it comes off easier in the morning.

ozij

Post by ozij » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:07 am

Another type of mouthleak experience:
Sometime my mouth drops open when I relax. I've had air rushing out of the corners of my imperfectly taped mouth, with the the tip of my (long...) tongue dry and firmly glued the to roof of my mouth. The air was pouring along my tongue's relaxed sides....

So, for me proper taping means I make sure the corners of my mouth are taped as well.

A word to those who are troubled by the association:
It took something like 8 months for me to decide the I should try taping - in bright daylight. That first trial was not in any way a commitment to tape my mouth at night it was just to test this somewhat frightening, upsetting idea. And then what I did was stand in front of the bathroom mirror in bright daylight, and put that piece of tape on my mouth with its two pull off tabs. I put in on, took off, on off, and discovered that those two pull off tabs make it a cinch.

I discovered I could stand it, there was nothing for me to fear, and I would try it at night.

I did, I tape, and I sleep better.

So, if you feel uncomfortable about the idea, don't commit yourself to sleeping with tape, don't try it out for the first time in bed, and make sure the first few times you pull the tape off are part of your traing in using this accessory, and not the result of anything else. After you've conviced yourself you're in control, there's no problem about it.

Rooster's description is indeed great.

O.

Offerocker

Post by Offerocker » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:57 am

Has anyone who tapes 'across' the mouth ever painted a 'mouth' on it?
Could be a laugh, smile, grin, smirk, pout, tongue out, ^v^v^v, etc.

Wonder when the "Cpap tape" manufacturers start giving us our own "Mood" tape!

Kids have their own 'ouchies', after all!

Anyone game to try this and give us pics?

Respironics Auto C-Flex, HC-150, Activa, CL2 Simple Cushion, ComfortSleeve, Saline Snorter.

frum

Post by frum » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:31 am

I use a Resmed Ultra Mirage Full Face mask. I think its great.

I, too, sleep with my mouth open. I havent had any problems with the mask I use.