Blood pressure increasing since starting APAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Tash

Blood pressure increasing since starting APAP

Post by Tash » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:26 pm

Hi all, hope everyone is doing well.

I just had my yearly physical, and my blood pressure, which was normally at 124/80 (on the high end of ok) has gone to 144/92. I have also checked it a couple of times at the grocery store in the last few months, it was in the 130s/over mid to high 80s..(I thought the machine was off...)

I have been on APAP since December of '05, getting good treatment, and slowly working my way to "zest", so I am somewhat surprised by the increase in blood pressure. I am in my late 30's, in good health otherwise, eat pretty nutritionally, and tinker with working out (on good sleep days).

Anyone else experience this?

Sleep well,
Tash

capt

Post by capt » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:13 pm

I have found that getting accurate Blood Pressure Readings is an art and can be a tricky thing, and some doctors/nurses are not very skilled in this art form. Having myself been in treatment for it several years now, I can tell you that there are many things that can cause a bad reading. When I go to the hypertension clinic, I get to sit and relax for several minutes before a reading is done. I then get a reading while I am lying down, sitting up and then standing up. It is quite common for these readings to vary. Simply turning ones head during a reading can cause a different reading to occur. How your arm is held and supported can also cause a different results. Some people react to a doctor/nurse taking a reading, which results in what is called a "fear of white result". Blood Pressure can also vary widely during different times of the day. I would encourage you to take your own readings several times a day and to keep in touch with your doctor. Try not to get too concerned, which can raise your pressure. Be sure to watch your diet and exercise program.

curtcurt46

Post by curtcurt46 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:34 pm

I have had a similar concern and I asked my doctor. He recommended I purchase my own home BP machine (a decent one), then take my pressure just after I wake. Since doing this I have found consistent good numbers. Consumers Reports had some recommendations on several BP machines they tested, I picked one and it works great.
Good Luck

krousseau

Post by krousseau » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:30 pm

Probably one of the biggest problems in getting anaccurate BP reading is in the use of the wrong size cuff-too big or too small-one size does not fit all.
Other things that cause inaccurate readings:
holding your arm straight out while having BP taken-your arm should be slightly bent, relaxed, and resting on a table, arm of a chair-dr's office staff frequenly hold your arm up against themselves-we usually try to be helpful and hold our arms up for them-causing a higher BP.
Wearing tight/snug clothing-if you have a BP monitor try taking your BP in loose clothing then after putting on tight jeans.
So now we have white coat hypertension and blue jeans hypertension.
Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof.....Galbraith's Law

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:50 pm

could be the type of hypertension you have, such as renal or pulmonary hypertension. the hypertension OSA treatment addresses is considered Essential Hypertension (or hypertension without a known cause).

Hypertension that drops when cpap therapy is applied was most likely caused by the hypoxia associated with OSA. Airway becomes blocked, brain sends signal to heart to pump faster (seen as higher pulse rate) to deliver more oxygen to the brain, if airway is blocked say with your tongue it cannot increase that oxygen, heart works harder becomes enlarged on right side eventually failing with CHF.

But once the hypoxia is addressed with cpap to bring oxygen levels back to normal, blood pressure goes down naturally as the brain sends the signal to the heart to slow delivery to the brain.

So if your hypertension was not caused by the hypoxia from OSA then you need to continue to control it with medication. If it continues to climb may be your doctor needs to switch you to another type of medication, one that more stabilizes it.

If you are not into taking a shoebox full of medications then you may want to consider the controlled breathing method, such as from this company:

http://www.resperate.com

The device above is expensive (so is medication) but it is clinically proven to work. You can also search for websites that teach you to breathe similar to the above device and that is free.

I also think you should own your own BP monitor, I've had good luck with the Omron brand monitors that keep track of your readings. Costco has them for $60 bucks or so. I also have the little wrist Omron, it works okay to get an idea where you are at but it is far from being accurate, if you calibrate it with the manual type you know how much it is off and can subtract/add to get an accurate reading. It also has a memory of 30 days or so, keeps track of day, date and time you took it. I have a cheapo manual type from Omron, the stethoscope isn't all that good so I can never hear it when trying to use it so I use the automatic type.

krousseau

Post by krousseau » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:30 pm

Pulmonary hypertension isn't measured by taking the blood pressure with a cuff on the arm. A variety of tests are used-and if the doc wants to know the pressure in the pumonary artery and in the right side of your heart cardiac catheterization is the only way to get those pressures. Connection between SDB & PH??? Unclear.

The blood pressure is highly variable. Suggest you get a monitor and take your own BP at random times so you get an idea what it usually is and how it varies throughout the day.

Are you on medication? Many docs still don't treat that BP-but they may be lowering treatment goals and the levels to start treatment to prevent long term effects of High BP. Since part of the mechanism of the rise in BP during apnea is the rush of adrenalin--beta blockers may be more helpful in reducing the BP--check to see what your doc thinks if you are not on a beta blocker (they block the action of adrenalin).
Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof.....Galbraith's Law

becktrev

Blood pressure

Post by becktrev » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:40 am

No technical stuff - just a straight 'Yes, me too'

I changed from many years of CPAP to APAP a month ago - since then blood pressure is appreciably higher - systolic always around 120 has jumped to 135-140.
And I know how to measure.
Howard

ldemmery

Post by ldemmery » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:17 am

Yep, me too. Mine was as high as 190 over 120. I had to stop going to the gym on doctor's orders. Took a year to regulate the darned thing. As of now I'm 135 over 80. Doctor is pleased. I take 3 pills once a day now.

1. Norvasc
2. Alt-Ace
3. Novo-hydrazide (water pill)

Lynne

gerry

Post by gerry » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:26 am

My pressure recently went up, from a usual 130/75 to over 160/ but the lower number remained below 80. I never related it to the CPAP. I take two pills, Diovan and Toprol, but the solution was a simple, and cheap, water pill. My problem was too many meals out, with Chinese food topping the list. I am just salt sensitive and retain water. It had absolutely nothing to do with the CPAP. Unfortunately I love dining out and eating at my favorite Chinese restaurant. I'll just continue to take the water pill.

Tash

Post by Tash » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:50 am

Thanks all who replied and my apologies in the delay in responding. I will be purchasing a home monitor and working on tracking my b/p for a while. I have never been on meds for b/p and would like to try to avoid that, if possible.

Thanks again for the feedback, it was helpful. " "

Take care,
Tash