Melatonin, showers and turkey

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
awakeinWA

Melatonin, showers and turkey

Post by awakeinWA » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:45 am

I'm new to the cpap. My pressure is set at 8 right now and I'm still having a lot trouble sleeping as you can probably see by the time of this post. I'm currently taking Lunesta 3mg and still not sleeping. My doctor has recommended trying melatonin, taking a warm shower 90 minutes before bed and eating turkey for the tryptophan. Doing all of this in addition to getting used to the cpap makes me feel like my life is revolving around trying to sleep. I've given up caffeine and alcohol, except for one cup of coffee in the morning. In addition to the sleep apnea, my sleep study identified that I was also have cardiac arrhythmias and I'm on beta blockers until I have surgery. Two months ago, I felt like a relatively healthy, although somewhat tired person. Now, I'm still tired, can't sleep, and feeling a little frustrated. The cardiac issues will be resolved with the surgery, but I'm wondering if the beta blockers are interfering with my sleep as well. But I'm really wondering about the melatonin, especially if I'm already taking the Lunesta. Any ideas?

IBTeri

Post by IBTeri » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:01 am

ok I"m not up on stuff
Melatonin From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Melatonin, 5-methoxy-N-acetyltryptamine, is a hormone found in all living creatures from algae to humans, at levels that vary in a diurnal cycle.
Is something already made by your body but some people either dont' have enough or they may need more of it than others. So I don't see where it could hurt to take it.

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:59 am

Hi, I think that all things considered, it would be a very good idea to wait until after your surgery, or at least another talk with your MD, to ask advice from people who are not MD's and who don't know you 'physically'. This is a great forum for sleep issues, but you have cardiac ones as well, and I don't think anyone who's responsible would try to advise what you should do under the circumstances, even if they've had similar ones. But if you do have arrythmias, I'd cut out that coffee!

tater pie

Post by tater pie » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:20 am

I took Lunesta a year or so ago and the 3 mg didn't work for me either. My doctor had me bump it up to 2 tablets which made 6 mg and it knocked me out cold. If your doc does that, be sure you are ready to go to sleep when you take it because it only takes about 5 to 8 minutes to work.

swifty

Re: Melatonin, showers and turkey

Post by swifty » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:51 am

[quote="awakeinWA"] My doctor has recommended trying melatonin,

krousseau

Post by krousseau » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:31 am

5-HTP has more potential for side effects and interactions. Beta blockers block the action of adrenalin & adrenolin like chemicals in the body so unlikely to cause wakefulness-they usually cause the opposite.
Right now your life is revolving around getting healthier-and getting sleep is an important part of that-it DOES deserve high priority-it is your life.
How about trying some meditation-there are a lot of relaxation/meditation tapes & CD's out there-listen to it before you buy to make sure voice is a you find relaxing.
Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof.....Galbraith's Law

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:09 am

awakeinWA,

Are you having trouble GETTING to sleep or STAYING asleep?
I noticed that you have the REMstar M Auto in your profile.....what are your machine settings?

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05