Sudden increase in leak/ahi rate

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
whome

Sudden increase in leak/ahi rate

Post by whome » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:54 pm

Hi!

I seem to have a sudden issue with leaks & an increased AHI (and the consequential feeling awful), starting very suddenly on Feb 23. On Feb 22 my AHI was .32 and on Feb 23 2.93.

My yearly AHI average (from the stats page of SleepyHead) is 0.71. Last 30 days it's 2.75 and last week 3.53.

My leaks: for the last year 0.3, for the last 30 days 2.76 and the last week 3.05.

I'm using a ResMed Mirage Quattro full face mask with a ResMed S9 Elite.

I've tried changing the cushion and the straps. I haven't changed my pillow, bed, drugs, or any other habits I can think of. I use the padded liners, but I switched to the CPAP Gel Mask Leak Sealer to see if that made a difference and it didn't, so I went back to the liner.

I'm out of ideas as to what to try next. If the mask was no longer suitable, I'd think I'd see a gradual change, not such a sudden one. Does anyone have any suggestions?

D.H.

Re: Sudden increase in leak/ahi rate

Post by D.H. » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:27 pm

Perhaps the hose sprang a leak? Maybe it's got one or more holes, or maybe one or both of ends are not sealing securely.

whome

Post by whome » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:59 pm

Oh, good thought! I have a spare - I'll try that tonight.

Thank you :-)

mesenteria

Post by mesenteria » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:02 pm

I'm fishing and whistling at the same time, but could it be a glitch in the software, a firmware update that went sour? Is there a way to assess the machine to see if it is providing the requisite flow/pressure changes that are indicated?

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:01 pm

mesenteria wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:02 pm
I'm fishing and whistling at the same time, but could it be a glitch in the software, a firmware update that went sour? Is there a way to assess the machine to see if it is providing the requisite flow/pressure changes that are indicated?
Good point. However, it's also possible that the settings got changed. The DME can do that remotely. Even if you can't check the actual pressure delivered, you should be able to easily check that it's at least set correctly.

TedVPAP

Post by TedVPAP » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:39 pm

Trying to guess as to why your numbers have changed when you tell us nothing you know has changed is not proving useful.
My suggestion is that you post daily data from a recent night so we might be able to see how you can improve your treatment.

Additional Comments: AutoPAP 16-20, Ultimate Chin Strap http://sleepapneasolutionsinc.com/

whome

Post by whome » Tue May 01, 2018 7:36 am

I switched out the hose and it doesn't seem to be any better. I'm pretty sure the settings didn't get changed. I appreciate the suggestions! Here's my graphs from last night.
1.jpeg
1.jpeg (589.45 KiB) Viewed 2081 times
2.jpeg
2.jpeg (563.59 KiB) Viewed 2081 times
3.jpeg
3.jpeg (135.32 KiB) Viewed 2081 times

Jas_williams

Post by Jas_williams » Tue May 01, 2018 7:53 am

Based on your graphs the leak rate does not seem to be an issue you only went over the large leak time for a very short time and it looks like you took the mask off or scratched your nose or something. It more looks like you need to increase your pressure some to combat the Obstructive Apnea as your constant pressure of 16 does not seem to be cutting it any more ? as to why I cannot comment. Unless your machine has developed a fault or on the day in question you enabled EPR or some other change, it just seems more pressure is needed, maybe if you post a daily graph for one of the days earlier that had a low AHI we can see if there is some change in the settings that you missed ?

Jason

whome

Post by whome » Tue May 01, 2018 8:33 am

Ok, so this is weird. If I go back to before the change, the days have no data. Here's the last 3 months:
5.jpeg
5.jpeg (672.05 KiB) Viewed 2070 times
6.jpeg
6.jpeg (679.65 KiB) Viewed 2070 times
And if I go to the last day of before it changed, I get this:
4.jpeg
4.jpeg (214.08 KiB) Viewed 2070 times
It's a mystery wrapped in an enigma :-)

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Tue May 01, 2018 10:05 am

It looks like in those days before your detailed data was not being written to the SD card, that kind of number is what I get if I put the card in after the night is over because the machine does not store detailed data and Sleepyhead cannot plot and use what is not there. You would get a better look at the AHI if you were to get a copy of Resscan, which can be obtained via request from the apneaboard website. Those number where you have no detailed data are not correct.

EDIT: This happened to me when my AirSense 10 just did not write to the card some days, I had the machine replaced under warranty.
All posts reflect my own opinion based on my experience and reading.
Your mileage may vary
Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Consult with your own physician as people very

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue May 01, 2018 10:38 am

S9 statistical data like you see where there is "No Data" for the graphs is not always accurate because SleepyHead needs the missing detailed data files to get a 100% accurate AHI.
So the change might not be so much in you as in the SH data being reported when there are no data files available.

You probably need to get ResScan and evaluate the AHI back before the change. ResScan doesn't need those missing detailed data files as much as SleepyHead does.

ResScan is Windows only software though.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

TedVPAP

Post by TedVPAP » Tue May 01, 2018 7:20 pm

whome wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 7:36 am
I switched out the hose and it doesn't seem to be any better. I'm pretty sure the settings didn't get changed. I appreciate the suggestions! Here's my graphs from last night.

1.jpeg2.jpeg3.jpeg
Zoom in and show us what a typical OA looks like. If it looks like a real OA event, then you need more pressure.

Additional Comments: AutoPAP 16-20, Ultimate Chin Strap http://sleepapneasolutionsinc.com/

whome

Post by whome » Tue May 01, 2018 7:54 pm

I downloaded ResScan and it didn't have any detail data either :=(

Here is the detail of an OA - they all look like this on the flowrate graph- a sort of heartbeat pattern, then a flat piece and at the end of the flat piece the OA.
1.jpeg
1.jpeg (107.58 KiB) Viewed 2025 times
2.jpeg
2.jpeg (76.89 KiB) Viewed 2025 times
3.jpeg
3.jpeg (82.13 KiB) Viewed 2025 times

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue May 01, 2018 8:10 pm

That example was just barely an OA...it was just over 10 seconds long.

TedVPAP

Post by TedVPAP » Tue May 01, 2018 8:13 pm

That looks like a real OA to me. I think you need more pressure.